Questions About Our New 1992 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 PM
jph46
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Congrats on the 92!

Consider replacing the Multec injectors with Bosch III from FIC. Apparently, ethanol is not kind to the Multecs. Very easy job on the LT1. Just pull the covers straight off to get at them.

Inspect the area between the rad and the condenser for trash and road debris.

Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:19 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by csthews
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on the purchase. I have one more word of caution to add. DO NOT use the steering wheel to help get in and out of the car. A lot of C4's (including mine) have steering wheels with excessive side-to-side play because of this. This can also cause issues with the operation of the dimmer. To repair this will require removing the air bag, so, I choose to live with it.

Enjoy the car, and post up some pics soon.
Thanks for the welcome.

I have actually been on the Corvette Forum for quite a while, but I mostly participated in the C2 section. I started to lurk in the C4 section a few years ago, after acquiring a 47 Plymouth with a 1986 Corvette engine, in an effort to gain some knowledge of the TPI system.

But now I'm back full time...

Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

regarding zf rattle

You had a '65 when I was 20 years old!

So that makes you old (perhaps old and wise)

T.O. bearing, and input shaft rotating in neutral with the clutch released
is going to make noise, it's the nature of the beast. So growling to an extent is normal. hearing the T.O. bearing rubbing against the clutch disc diaphram is also normal you don't need to concern yourself = enjoy

I usually engaged 1st then reverse on cold start with my c5 t56 transaxle
Old 11-24-2015, 02:59 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
You had a '65 when I was 20 years old!

So that makes you old (perhaps old and wise)
Ouch! Would you agree to 'middle-aged and wise'?

I owned the Corvette right out of high school (got a screaming deal on it), but 18 yr old male + 1965 Corvette...the insurance rates absolutely KILLED me. You've seen the cartoon where a moth flies out of a guy's wallet? That was me after my State Farm payment.

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
regarding zf rattle

T.O. bearing, and input shaft rotating in neutral with the clutch released
is going to make noise, it's the nature of the beast. So growling to an extent is normal. hearing the T.O. bearing rubbing against the clutch disc diaphram is also normal you don't need to concern yourself = enjoy

I usually engaged 1st then reverse on cold start with my c5 t56 transaxle
Good to know; thanks for the input!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kbuhagiar
Ouch! Would you agree to 'middle-aged and wise'?

I owned the Corvette right out of high school (got a screaming deal on it), but 18 yr old male + 1965 Corvette...the insurance rates absolutely KILLED me. You've seen the cartoon where a moth flies out of a guy's wallet? That was me after my State Farm payment.

Good to know; thanks for the input!
Yes mine 95 when relasing clutch rattle too.

Think even pilot bearing can rattle if worst or bad trans allignment.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 PM
lances2000
Advanced

Default 1992 Coupe LT-1 52.7K Las Vegas, NV

Congratulations on your purchase! I bought my first Corvette back in March of 2015. So far the car has been a dream with the exception of the following issues:

1. My interior lights are out of wack. They come on when opening the door, however they will not shut off when closing the door. They will time out after 10 minutes. Another issue with the interior lights is, the door lights come on and and can be dimmed by the dimmer control switch when the parking/headlights are on. This is not normal. Truth be told, on a dark night, the inside of the car looks pretty cool with the door lights on at medium light. It kind of reminds you of being at the movie theater seeing the lighted exit signs by the exits. I have documentation to show that Findley Chevrolet has checked all the door switches etc. So it's my thought that I need a new Body Control Module. These run about $540 from the few sources I have looked up.

2. I have that same oil leak/spot as you mention. However, it went away for a while after I changed the oil. So that leads me to think that the leak originates from the oil filter area.

3. Noisy clutch bearing as you describe. As mentioned above, is normal. I happen to have the VHS tape that comes with the 1992 Corvette and the narrator speaks about this noise as being a residual of the high performance transmission that is installed on our Corvettes.

4. Windshield wipers. When you need to replace, I highly suggest that you use the original AC Delco wipers model #8-2202 which are still available or a low profile variant. I tried 4 different high dollar sets before succumbing to the original wipers. The other wipers all hung up under the hood, it was a mess.

5. Headlight motors. It's common due to the age of these cars to have a headlight motor failure. The good news is, there is some great DIY videos on YouTube to replace, or rebuild your motors. There is a guy on eBay that has the rebuilt parts or the parts for you to rebuild yourself. I did the passenger side in April, and I need to do the drivers side this winter.

6. Tires. A lot of these weekend worrier/classic cars have great looking tires. However, these tires(as in my case) can be over 10 years old. First thing I did was, put a set of Nitto's 555 Extreme ($118 a piece) and have had a good time driving. The look good as well.

7. Shop Manuals, if you are going to do work yourself, invest in the original GM shop manuals(I bought a set off eBay for $105 to the door). I member on this board gave me the that advise, and I'm glad I listened.

At the end of the day(knock on wood) I drive my corvette a minimum of 75 miles a week and have took it on 4 - 300/500 mile road trips. It has performed like a new car(mechanically speaking). I hand wash it, wipe down the engine every other week, and tighten the screws inside the car(not to tight to break any plastic parts)inside every 2-3 months. If your gear shift rattles, there is an Allen screw that you can tighten as well.

Best of luck to you and your 1992 Corvette!!!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Originally Posted by lances2000
Congratulations on your purchase! I bought my first Corvette back in March of 2015.

Best of luck to you and your 1992 Corvette!!!:rock
Thanks for the tips and advice!

Originally Posted by lances2000
I happen to have the VHS tape that comes with the 1992 Corvette and the narrator speaks about this noise as being a residual of the high performance transmission that is installed on our Corvettes.
I did not know about the VHS tape that came with all new 1992 Corvettes. Would love to see it; does anyone know if a digital copy of this tape is available anywhere on the Internet?
Old 11-25-2015, 02:39 PM
lances2000
Advanced

Default 1992 VHS Tape Corvette

Originally Posted by kbuhagiar
Thanks for the tips and advice!

I did not know about the VHS tape that came with all new 1992 Corvettes. Would love to see it; does anyone know if a digital copy of this tape is available anywhere on the Internet?
Funny you should ask about the tape. I was at a "cars and coffee" event when a patron walked up and asked if my vette was a 92. I stated it was, and he hands me this VHS tape and states this must be yours.

Moving forward, I have watched the complete tape. I have also noticed that there are part(s), or even the whole tape is on youtube. I have posted two links and a picture of my tape below.

Found this on eBay, may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Chevrol...dTTo52&vxp=mtr

Last edited by lances2000; 11-25-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Addition of info

Quick Reply: Questions About Our New 1992 Corvette