C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bye Bye Dulsa

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:22 PM
zoomer56
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bye Bye Dulsa

Get rid of that rubberized coating on the plastic console parts and replace with rattle can black satin. These are my steps:
- use non-acetone nail polish remover, soak paper towel and place on top until it starts wrinkling, pull it off
- IMPORTANT, to avoid sanding in oils and stuff that paint won't stick to clean good first with soap then with solvent, I used what I had around Tandy's Pro Dye Solvent. Prep is EVERYTHING. This will ensure your paint will not have any "fish eyes". If you do not clean with solvent then the impurities will just be imbedded with sanding into the plastic.
- sand up and down with one grit then sideways with the next ensuring that the scratches from the coarser grit are gone, 320-420-600 then1500
- Don't bother sanding or painting the hard to get to and mostly covered places that can not be seen when ashtray cover and console are shut. They look good enough with no Dulsa. Tape off the ashtray and coin holder, I did not take Dulsa off of the coin holders.
- Spray paint with black satin paint and primer, several (four) light coats to ensure cover and no dripping
- see picture that shows painted horizontal console and original vertical console
- bonus pic shows fixing (for the last time I hope) the plastic angle bracket on ash tray cover
Attached Images          
The following 2 users liked this post by zoomer56:
Renfield (11-23-2015), Tom400CFI (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

That non-acetone nail polish remover sure seems to be the way to go. I spent a couple hours longer than i wanted to doing my old '95 console cover.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:59 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Nicely done. Looks just as it should!

Live well,

SJW
Old 11-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice trick. What exactly happen with acetone? It dissolve rubber?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Great post! I know I'll be needing to reference it again some time in the future.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:19 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
That non-acetone nail polish remover sure seems to be the way to go. I spent a couple hours longer than i wanted to doing my old '95 console cover.
I would think regular nail polish remover would work just fine.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:31 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Acetone will attack some plastics.

Live well,

SJW
Old 11-23-2015, 01:30 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
Acetone will attack some plastics.

Live well,

SJW
Disintegrates ABS. It just cracks apart.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 AM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a new center console for mine and its already starting to get damaged and scratched, hell it got gouged just by putting the car back together. I may be going this route on the console trim and the radio trim/bezel. Another thing Id like to shoot the engineer of who thought up that gem.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
I bought a new center console for mine and its already starting to get damaged and scratched, hell it got gouged just by putting the car back together. I may be going this route on the console trim and the radio trim/bezel. Another thing Id like to shoot the engineer of who thought up that gem.
The firing squad is already booked for the dingleberry who did the headlamp design. It's likely the Optispark brain trust is on deck too.

Brilliant write-up and great photos! Thank you for thinking of us.

Last edited by Renfield; 11-23-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomer56
Get rid of that rubberized coating on the plastic console parts and replace with rattle can black satin. These are my steps:
- use non-acetone nail polish remover, soak paper towel and place on top until it starts wrinkling, pull it off
- IMPORTANT, to avoid sanding in oils and stuff that paint won't stick to clean good first with soap then with solvent, I used what I had around Tandy's Pro Dye Solvent. Prep is EVERYTHING. This will ensure your paint will not have any "fish eyes". If you do not clean with solvent then the impurities will just be imbedded with sanding into the plastic.
- sand up and down with one grit then sideways with the next ensuring that the scratches from the coarser grit are gone, 320-420-600 then1500
- Don't bother sanding or painting the hard to get to and mostly covered places that can not be seen when ashtray cover and console are shut. They look good enough with no Dulsa. Tape off the ashtray and coin holder, I did not take Dulsa off of the coin holders.
- Spray paint with black satin paint and primer, several (four) light coats to ensure cover and no dripping
- see picture that shows painted horizontal console and original vertical console
- bonus pic shows fixing (for the last time I hope) the plastic angle bracket on ash tray cover
Very impressive! It's on my winter "TO-DO" list. Thanks for the post!!

Get notified of new replies

To Bye Bye Dulsa

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Dulsa