C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starting Problem

Another adventure with a 1984 Corvette,On the verge of putting my car up for the winter,So religiously I start it once a week and move it around. Lately I have had use some starting fluid to get it to catch and start. Like the line is not staying pressurize.Changed the gas filter back in July,only can think that fuel pump might be on its way out. All comments would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

My 91 did the same thing. The check valve in the fuel pump goes bad. A new pump took care of the problem.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Klgrayson
I start it once a week and move it around. . . Like the line is not staying pressurized.
The fuel line won't stay pressurized for a week. That's expecting too much! When you turn on the key, the fuel pump should run for a few seconds to pressurize the fuel line, in preparation for starting the engine. Try waiting for a few seconds after you turn on the key, before cranking the engine.
If the engine normally runs fine after your difficult start, you don't have a bad fuel pump. You may have a bad fuel pump relay. This relay is located on the firewall, between the MAP sensor and the wiper motor. Inspect the connector for signs of overheating.
After the engine starts, the oil pressure switch provides power to the fuel pump.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The fuel line won't stay pressurized for a week. That's expecting too much! When you turn on the key, the fuel pump should run for a few seconds to pressurize the fuel line, in preparation for starting the engine. Try waiting for a few seconds after you turn on the key, before cranking the engine.
If the engine normally runs fine after your difficult start, you don't have a bad fuel pump. You may have a bad fuel pump relay. This relay is located on the firewall, between the MAP sensor and the wiper motor. Inspect the connector for signs of overheating.
After the engine starts, the oil pressure switch provides power to the fuel pump.

It wouldn't hurt to check those things before you buy a fuel pump, but mine would lose pressure over night. It's been in the garage now for five weeks I just went out and it started right up.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy

how do you check a relay

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Problem

Quick Reply: Starting Problem