Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

where to find AC Delco Battery

Old 12-10-2015, 11:52 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where to find AC Delco Battery

Last month for one of my last drives I went to meet a friend for lunch and my battery is weak... ya, you guessed it. I had to get a jump start.
Totally embarrassed I drove home and gave her a nice wash getting her ready for a nice winter's nap, and this nice weather we are having is leaving me itchy to take a drive. Well the battery is non responsive to the tender so I thought I would pick one up just to know she is ready to go if I want to take a drive.
Well, after placing a few calls and doing an internet search I can't find anyone selling AC Delco battery's? Now I didn't go to a GM dealer yet, I just wanted to do this myself and buy a battery at a good price... Well.
I also want to add that my 96 CE is mostly original, except for the top and LED lighting in the cab.
Where are you guys buying AC Delco battery's??? I just put a Battery Wholesale in my Trailblazer but like I said, I would like to stay with original equipment. Anyone?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:46 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Why limit yourself to AC Delco? Napa has some very good product, plus there's lot of other good choices.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I believe there are now only 3-4 battery manufactures in the USA, and they each make lead-acid batteries and slap different brand names on the case as they go out the door; Delco, Interstate, etc., etc.

So, unless you have an NCRS worthy car, where originality counts, originality (far as the lead-acid technology goes) comes wrapped with many labels! A rose by any other name is a rose, and pretty much true for lead-acid battery technology (within the same classes and size).

I Googled AC Delco and JEGS popped up. But, unless you just halfta have an AC Delco (for NCRS or the like) you're gonna pay a big price to have it shipped, unless you can find a local dealer.

Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
NoTyme (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:11 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Did you try the new car dealers in your area?
Old 12-11-2015, 09:16 AM
NoTyme
Instructor

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Why limit yourself to AC Delco? Napa has some very good product, plus there's lot of other good choices.
Well, as I stated in my original post I am trying to keep my 96 as close to original as possible. If not I would put an Optimum battery in it and be done with it. I was just a bit thrown back that I couldn’t find a brick and mortar store that sells AC Delco.
As for NAPA, I am on first name basis with the guys at the counter and store owner, LOL.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:19 AM
NoTyme
Instructor

I was hoping to avoid a GM dealer because most everything is more at a dealer vs a chain store. I am going to talk to my NAPA guy again because he once told me he can get most anything. I haven't tried Rock Auto yet...
Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NoTyme
Well, as I stated in my original post I am trying to keep my 96 as close to original as possible. If not I would put an Optimum battery in it and be done with it. I was just a bit thrown back that I couldn’t find a brick and mortar store that sells AC Delco.
As for NAPA, I am on first name basis with the guys at the counter and store owner, LOL.
Did you mean optima? Don't get it, it wont work (there's no room) already tried them so i can save your time and stress.

I went with exide
NoTyme (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 PM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought an AC Delco gel battery from Amazon.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:48 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Try calling local auto repair shops. Some shops will carry AC Delco batteries. Some shops will have the battery your '96 uses in stock or having them order one may only take a few hours or the next business day.

There are two grades of AC Delco batteries; a "Professional" grade and an "Advantage" grade. Get the Professional grade!

Also, there's nothing wrong with an Interstate battery. Excellent warranty and good prices. Again, call around at various repair shops for avalibility and pricing.

One thing about car batteries, most brands are manufactured by Johnson Controls and are labeled for those various brands.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:10 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's worth it in my experience. The first original in my 96 lasted 9 years. I tracked another one of those boys down. My car adores AC Delco stuff.
I hear all the comments about labels but remain convinced about the merits of staying with factory parts.

Last edited by tlong; 12-13-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Try calling local auto repair shops. Some shops will carry AC Delco batteries. Some shops will have the battery your '96 uses in stock or having them order one may only take a few hours or the next business day.

There are two grades of AC Delco batteries; a "Professional" grade and an "Advantage" grade. Get the Professional grade!

Also, there's nothing wrong with an Interstate battery. Excellent warranty and good prices. Again, call around at various repair shops for avalibility and pricing.

One thing about car batteries, most brands are manufactured by Johnson Controls and are labeled for those various brands.
I am a GM dealer parts manager and you are correct about the different grades of Delco batteries. The "Professional" series is the OE replacement, the same battery installed at the factory in all GM vehicles and of very high quality and durability. "Advantage" series are imported, economy priced and of a much lower overall quality and durability. You get what you pay for.

As for price, as long as your local dealership parts manager understands markets, competitiveness and customer satisfaction, AC-Delco Professional series batteries can and should be competitively priced. My dealership is located within a stones throw of an AZ, O' Reilly, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. and in many cases customers tell us that our Delco batteries were no more expensive than the discount joints comparable battery.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:33 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
We can only assume that you didn't read, or didn't understand, the above post by c4cruiser.

There is no ACDelco battery, only a battery with an ACDelco label.

Johnson Controls, or affiliates, makes 'most' batteries, and sells them under various labels, including ACDelco, Sears DieHard, AutoZone, and most of the other labels. They are all the same battery with the same warranty.

Some are loyal to Interstate batteries, not aware that Interstate is only a marketing company, not a battery manufacturer. Your ACDelco loyalty is based on a false premise. ACDelco is a supplier of parts, not a manufacturer of parts. There may be some exceptions. For example, if you were to purchase an ACDelco t-stat, you would be buying a t-stat made by Stant, and packaged in box labeled ACDelco. http://www.acdelco.com/about-acdelco.html

The best battery value is sold by Costco, made by Johnson Controls with a Costco label. It is the same battery sold by Sears, AutoZone, etc., with the same warranty. O'reilly Auto Parts, to my knowledge, does not sell batteries made by Johnson Controls.

Last edited by don hall; 12-13-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 375 Posts

Default ac delco

Here is a dealer within 20 miles of Ida:

20.7 mi from Ida

Express Tire Saline Inc.
820 W Michigan Ave
Saline, MI 48176
(734) 944-4000

This is according to A/C Delco locator. Good luck finding your battery.
NoTyme (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Strange thing happen; I stopped by the NAPA store in Blissfield and had the battery tested... Yes it was weak.
They wereable to get me a replacement AC Delco that day just like the one I had in the car... FYI, my AC Delco that finally gave up was only 7 1/2 years old...
Old 12-21-2015, 11:55 PM
NoTyme
Instructor

Originally Posted by seabright
We can only assume that you didn't read, or didn't understand, the above post by c4cruiser.

There is no ACDelco battery, only a battery with an ACDelco label.

Johnson Controls, or affiliates, makes 'most' batteries, and sells them under various labels, including ACDelco, Sears DieHard, AutoZone, and most of the other labels. They are all the same battery with the same warranty.

Some are loyal to Interstate batteries, not aware that Interstate is only a marketing company, not a battery manufacturer. Your ACDelco loyalty is based on a false premise. ACDelco is a supplier of parts, not a manufacturer of parts. There may be some exceptions. For example, if you were to purchase an ACDelco t-stat, you would be buying a t-stat made by Stant, and packaged in box labeled ACDelco. http://www.acdelco.com/about-acdelco.html

The best battery value is sold by Costco, made by Johnson Controls with a Costco label. It is the same battery sold by Sears, AutoZone, etc., with the same warranty. O'reilly Auto Parts, to my knowledge, does not sell batteries made by Johnson Controls.
Yes, you are correct. There are only 2 or 3 battery manufactures in the world... One of them is Johnson Controls.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:14 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

interesting thread. I knew about the ACDelco "professional" labeling thing, but was not aware about "only a handful of battery manufacturers." I was really surprised about "interstate batteries" since I've always thought interstate was a top quality battery - something better than the norm. I bought one last year thinking I was buying a top quality battery, and now I find out I bought a plain old generic battery. now I feel somewhat taken. oh well, live and learn....

http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-...ate-batteries/ --

Johnson Controls is not only the largest North American battery manufacture, but they literally control the North American battery market.
even sounds like Johnson controls bought up optima and in the process of every other battery manufacturer on the planet!

Last edited by Joe C; 12-24-2015 at 05:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To where to find AC Delco Battery

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where to find AC Delco Battery