Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Engine MR
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default Long-time Dutch Corvette fanatic - 1988 updates

Hello all,

I'm an automotive engineer living in the Netherlands. Been active in engineering several North-America market vehicles. Been to the US often as well. As a kid already a real gearhead and that has driven my career choices. A big favorite at the time was the Corvette. Rare to see them in Europe but I remember both C4 and C5 very well.
Collecting many books and scale models but sometimes there are other priorities. So now I'm a 30-something and found it finally time to get a real Corvette.
Target was the early years of the C4. 1985 to 1987 was perfect. Don't like so much the wheels of the 88/89. As original as possible and with an automatic. Automatics are still a bit special here and seem to be just right on any US car.

In the end I found one in Germany. A 1988 with the wheels of an 87. Dark Red Metalic automatic coupe. Delco/Bose, Electronic Temp control, leather base power seats. Very good shape and nothing tampered with. Even seen a recent CarFax.

Little catch: it was still on an exported US title. So instead of importing Germany into Netherlands (easy procedure) it became California into Netherlands. Not impossible but takes a lot of paperwork and time. A US car does not exactly follow the Euro rules in all the lights etc. Luckily it is considered a classic car and then the rules are applied a bit more in my favor. Might make it without modifications. It is still in this proces and so while I now own a Corvette I can't drive it. Patience, patience..

Signed up to this forum as there are so many C4 lovers here. I don't think I have to explain why I like it. May need some tips&tricks to make the final repairs and get it in near showroom order. A list of topics:
-the switches for the driver information panel; suffered a bit in California heat and is slightly warped
-headlight switch misses its plastic ****
-when I press EXT Temp on the temperature controll it reads ERR; does not seem right
-the little needle next to the shift selector is broken
-power antenna is always extended
-Bose speakers in the rear make some weird noises
-instrument panel does not get engine rpm; all elements of the display work but the tach stays at zero
-steering wheel leather is really bad
-slight cracks on top of dashboard by the heat; covered by a carpet like stuff (how do you guys name that?) so not in a hurry

That's it!

Anyone that has some history about the car; also welcome. I traced it back so far to Thousand Oaks CA where someone lives that had several Corvette's. Most of them were exported to Germany. One bit of history that I really need to trace back: the production date or at least month. While it is clearly a MY1988 for tax reasons I need to know if it was produced in calender year 1987 or 1988. How can I get proof for that?

Hope to get some help here and there from you C4 experts. As said they are rare on my side of the pond. Thanks for internet and ordering by internet
Attached Images         

Last edited by Engine MR; 04-09-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Updates
The following users liked this post:
Not4spd (04-09-2017)
Old 12-12-2015, 03:43 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

nice car from Norway
Engine MR (12-14-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 05:32 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

You can do a Google search for Corvette salvage yards in the U S. I like to use www.vette2vette.com and he does ship international.
You can obtain almost any part you need and save a lot of money by purchasing used.
I have been to the Netherlands when in the U S Army and loved the country and its generous people.
As for some of your questions. The carpet is called a dashboard mat or dashboard cover. You can purchase a new or used shift indicator from e-Bay usually. If my memory serves me correct you can access the indicator by removing the screws from the center instrument cover and then removing it. Then remove the screws for the shift console (some of them are located in the front of the center armrest storage I think. Pull up on the shift console to access the indicator. Note that you may have to remove the shift **** but you should be able to get at the indicator without doing so. Purchase a set of Torx tools to remove any Torx screws you encounter. Go to a website called www.battee.com to find out how to fix your instrument panel. Your speakers can be sent to www.drdon.com to be refurbished.
Good luck with the new to you car!

Engine MR (12-14-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Congratulations. Nice looking Vette!

Originally Posted by Engine MR
A US car does not exactly follow the Euro rules in all the lights etc. Luckily it is considered a classic car and then the rules are applied a bit more in my favor. Might make it without modifications.
Now, that's a plus!

Does your license plate fit into the standard C4 opening?
Old 12-12-2015, 06:09 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats. Im also a 30 something with his first Corvette that grew up loving the c4 and c5. You came to the right place. Tons of know-how around here.

California cars (and southwestern US in general) are usually good for older cars in one sense because rust is almost a non-issue with the dry climate. I grew up in CA and live in nearbye Nevada and the issues out here have more to do with the constant sun and dryness. Paint fade/peel, plastics cracking or melting, rubber drying out etc. But moisture issues are few and far between.

Do those wheels have black center caps? They look to be from an 84 or 85 unless that was painted black. 86 was polished center and 87 gray center. I prefer the 86 look for the original "turbine" wheels. Unlike you, i love the 88-89 wheels though.

Funny how in the States, autos are everywhere and "boring." Ive enjoyed mine, and the convenience in traffic is nice. Just less engaging experience overall.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:12 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the '88 club! My '88 is DRM but has the medium gray interior. Looks like a solid coupe you found. Did you check the Arapaho codes to see if it is a Z51 or Z52? Also, look on the drivers side door where the door stricken latch is located. You should find a sticker there that shows your build date along with factory tire size and ratings.

Happy for you,

Lee
Engine MR (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 05:42 AM
Engine MR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JD Shredds

Do those wheels have black center caps? They look to be from an 84 or 85 unless that was painted black. 86 was polished center and 87 gray center. I prefer the 86 look for the original "turbine" wheels. Unlike you, i love the 88-89 wheels though.
They are really gray centers. Bit hard to see perhaps on the pictures.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:44 AM
Engine MR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Congratulations. Nice looking Vette!

Now, that's a plus!

Does your license plate fit into the standard C4 opening?
No the dutch license plates don't fit. Not nearly. Look up some pictures of C5s that are EU spec; not so pretty.
Luckily for imports there is an alternative size license plate that is roughly the US size.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:14 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hello all,

I'm an automotive engineer living in the Netherlands. Been active in engineering several North-America market vehicles. Been to the US often as well. As a kid already a real gearhead and that has driven my career choices. A big favorite at the time was the Corvette. Rare to see them in Europe but I remember both C4 and C5 very well.
Collecting many books and scale models but sometimes there are other priorities. So now I'm a 30-something and found it finally time to get a real Corvette.
Target was the early years of the C4. 1985 to 1987 was perfect. Don't like so much the wheels of the 88/89. As original as possible and with an automatic. Automatics are still a bit special here and seem to be just right on any US car.

In the end I found one in Germany. A 1988 with the wheels of an 87. Dark Red Metalic automatic coupe. Delco/Bose, Electronic Temp control, leather base power seats. Very good shape and nothing tampered with. Even seen a recent CarFax.

Little catch: it was still on an exported US title. So instead of importing Germany into Netherlands (easy procedure) it became California into Netherlands. Not impossible but takes a lot of paperwork and time. A US car does not exactly follow the Euro rules in all the lights etc. Luckily it is considered a classic car and then the rules are applied a bit more in my favor. Might make it without modifications. It is still in this proces and so while I now own a Corvette I can't drive it. Patience, patience..

Signed up to this forum as there are so many C4 lovers here. I don't think I have to explain why I like it. May need some tips&tricks to make the final repairs and get it in near showroom order. A list of topics:
-the switches for the driver information panel; suffered a bit in California heat and is slightly warped
-when I press EXT Temp on the temperature controll it reads ERR; does not seem right
-the little needle next to the shift selector is broken
-power antenna is always extended
-Bose speakers in the rear make some weird noises
-instrument panel does not get engine rpm; all elements of the display work but the tach stays at zero
-steering wheel leather is really bad
-slight cracks on top of dashboard by the heat; covered by a carpet like stuff (how do you guys name that?) so not in a hurry

That's it!

Anyone that has some history about the car; also welcome. I traced it back so far to Thousand Oaks CA where someone lives that had several Corvette's. Most of them were exported to Germany. One bit of history that I really need to trace back: the production date or at least month. While it is clearly a MY1988 for tax reasons I need to know if it was produced in calender year 1987 or 1988. How can I get proof for that?

Hope to get some help here and there from you C4 experts. As said they are rare on my side of the pond. Thanks for internet and ordering by internet
Hi

How can you afford to drive a corvette in the Netherlands with the price of fuel there?

I had amber indicator lights on my 85, however I cannot find them anywhere for the 84-89 c4.
They have them for C3, Late C4 , C5, C6.

The headlight **** can be purchased at corvette central see link below. You will need the retainer clip so buy the one below.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=10368

Antenna repair kit, if you can hear the motor run?

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050f&ukey=8561

The Euro lights on my 85 early and late bumpers.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:46 AM
Engine MR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

How can you afford to drive a corvette in the Netherlands with the price of fuel there?

I had amber indicator lights on my 85, however I cannot find them anywhere for the 84-89 c4.
They have them for C3, Late C4 , C5, C6.
Well.. let's stay happy and don't discuss our fuel prices.

I'm glad I have a company car with fuel card. That accounts for 50.000 to 60.000km per year. The left over time and mileage I have to spread over my now 4 other cars. So it will not drive that much and fuel costs should be limited.

I hope to not have to convert to amber lights. I really like the US type of lights. So far the feedback is promising.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 AM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

An 88 C4 is a good choice!

There's a metal clip inside the plastic **** that keeps it retained on the shaft. Mine came loose some time ago, and I found the clip buried in the dark cave of the footwell. It might be worth your time seeing if you can locate it if it's not still in the ****.

Right now the one from my driver is in a drawer in one of my tool boxes, so I can't describe exactly what needs to be done to the clip, or if what retains it was stripped inside the ****. The one in my parts car was missing when I bought it.

Last edited by N227GB; 12-15-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Engine MR (12-16-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

Originally Posted by KYC4
Congrats and welcome to the '88 club! My '88 is DRM but has the medium gray interior. Looks like a solid coupe you found. Did you check the Arapaho codes to see if it is a Z51 or Z52? Also, look on the drivers side door where the door stricken latch is located. You should find a sticker there that shows your build date along with factory tire size and ratings.

Happy for you,

Lee
Welcome to the forum
If you don't find the build date on the door go on line to the National Corvette Museum. You can order a copy of the original build sheet. It will have all the info. about your car, build date (year/day of the year), all options, color codes for interior and exterior, the dealer it was shipped to, ect.
The screws corvetteronw referred to may be under a flap in the lining in the front corners under the arm rest. There is also one under the ash tray. With the shifter in N you can lift the top to get to the needle. It hooks onto a pin on the side of the shifter and is an easy fix.
RedHot85Vette (04-07-2016)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:33 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome to the Club..
Engine MR (12-16-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:14 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase! Looks to be in decent shape. I re-dyed my steering wheel and made a thread on it. Pretty easy and excellent results. Best of luck with your vette.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Engine MR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pa'svette
Welcome to the forum
If you don't find the build date on the door go on line to the National Corvette Museum. You can order a copy of the original build sheet. It will have all the info. about your car, build date (year/day of the year), all options, color codes for interior and exterior, the dealer it was shipped to, ect.
The screws corvetteronw referred to may be under a flap in the lining in the front corners under the arm rest. There is also one under the ash tray. With the shifter in N you can lift the top to get to the needle. It hooks onto a pin on the side of the shifter and is an easy fix.
Great idea! Ordered the buildsheet, window sticker and the original dealer brochure.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Engine MR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dt86
Congratulations on your purchase! Looks to be in decent shape. I re-dyed my steering wheel and made a thread on it. Pretty easy and excellent results. Best of luck with your vette.
Thanks! Dye; if I'm right that refers to color/paint? So not replacing the leather? It's really damaged deep so needs new leather. Anyway do you have a link? Looked at threads you started but must have missed it.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Engine MR
Intermediate

So first run for approval failed. Nothing really serious.
-They could not find a chassis number as stamped in the chassis... uh.. somebody did not look at the right place and/or forgot his glasses
-Front brake line hoses rubber was aged too much... ok will be replaced
-Side reversing lights are not allowed; only rearward direction is OK... we'll take out the bulbs for now
-Front side reflector (eh.... where/which one? Not sure what they meant) is white and must be yellow.... guess we'll tape it off or stick a self-sticking yellow reflector on top for now
-Cornering lights are only allowed if they follow steering angle; not just direction indicator. So now they see it as some funny side light that's too bright and white... again the bulb out

Next round I'll be there myself... hopefully next week. At least to make sure they can find the chassis number this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Long-time Dutch Corvette fanatic - bought my first one: 1988

Old 12-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3457619-leatherique-steering-wheel-kir.html

If its really bad it may be better to replace it but there are fillers you can use to fill in deep scratches. Theres some good how to videos on youtube.
Thanks! Dye; if I'm right that refers to color/paint? So not replacing the leather? It's really damaged deep so needs new leather. Anyway do you have a link? Looked at threads you started but must have missed it.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:41 AM
Engine MR
Intermediate

Little update. All ready for the approval for some time but the goverment agency was closed for the holidays. Still to wait about one week. Had a quick look at the car again but it is in a dark storage at the moment.

Did get the information from the Corvette Museum; buildsheet, windowsticker and the original brochure. So it turns out it's from March 1988 and was delivered to Mesa AZ. Had a bit more RPO's than anticipated:
C2L Dual roofs (only the painted one is still with the car)
G92 Performance Axle ratio 3.07
Z52 Sport Handling Package
NN5 Cali emissions

Nice surprise there!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:57 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

nice car and welcome to the forum. Your corvette will not be the petrol (gas) monster the older ones are. Seems to me 40 kmg would be about right. (25 mpg ?) Have fun and good luck with the government red tape.
Engine MR (01-12-2016)

Quick Reply: Long-time Dutch Corvette fanatic - bought my first one: 1988