C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

86 wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:04 PM
TNVETTE86
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 wiring

the manual says the radio wiring has a 2 plug with yellow and orange. i cannot find it and someone has taken the pink white from ?i also have 2 pink and 2 gray wires for? not hot. please help. lost
Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by TNVETTE86
the manual says the radio wiring has a 2 plug with yellow and orange. i cannot find it and someone has taken the pink white from ?i also have 2 pink and 2 gray wires for? not hot. please help. lost
What are you trying to install? A BASE OE radio, a DelcoBose or an after-market? There should have been 3 4-pin connectors that would have been populated differently for BASE or BOSE. Are the connectors missing and you've just got "blunt cut" wires?

Do you know if it had BASE or Bose when build? Is the SPID label in the console on the backside of the door? Does the VIN in the windshield or on the door match it?

RPO code that starts with Uxx with xx being another letter (M, N, Q, U or X) and a number, an exception would be U1F (Bose/CD) I believe.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:21 PM
TNVETTE86
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
What are you trying to install? A BASE OE radio, a DelcoBose or an after-market? There should have been 3 4-pin connectors that would have been populated differently for BASE or BOSE. Are the connectors missing and you've just got "blunt cut" wires?

Do you know if it had BASE or Bose when build? Is the SPID label in the console on the backside of the door? Does the VIN in the windshield or on the door match it?

RPO code that starts with Uxx with xx being another letter (M, N, Q, U or X) and a number, an exception would be U1F (Bose/CD) I believe.
there are no labels and I do not know what radio it came with. the connectors are gone. I am installing an after market stereo?(dual brand name) the speaker wires diagram I found on line but lost on the pink and gray. I read a post about the pink being for the antenna
Old 01-26-2016, 04:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by TNVETTE86
there are no labels and I do not know what radio it came with. the connectors are gone. I am installing an after market stereo?(dual brand name) the speaker wires diagram I found on line but lost on the pink and gray. I read a post about the pink being for the antenna

In an OE install the PINK "triggers" the antenna relay when the radio is powered on (your after-market should mention how to accomplish this). The GRAY is for instrument panel "dimming" and again I believe the after-market should explain how to control this. If you've got power and speakers figured the pink and gray I've done for you I believe.

The multiple PINK is I believe because it likely had Bose and the PINK powered the Bose also when the radio was turned on. PINK/WHT would have been for the OE CLOCK and I'd think if your after-market has a clock the install should be documented also.

Determine which PINK triggers the antenna and I believe you should be done. Find the PINK/WHT in the vicinity and terminate in some fashion. If the antenna works putting B+ to a PINK should raise the antenna in an early car.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-26-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM
TNVETTE86
Cruising

Default wiring

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
In an OE install the PINK "triggers" the antenna relay when the radio is powered on (your after-market should mention how to accomplish this). The GRAY is for instrument panel "dimming" and again I believe the after-market should explain how to control this. If you've got power and speakers figured the pink and gray I've done for you I believe.

The multiple PINK is I believe because it likely had Bose and the PINK powered the Bose also when the radio was turned on. PINK/WHT would have been for the OE CLOCK and I'd think if your after-market has a clock the install should be documented also.

Determine which PINK triggers the antenna and I believe you should be done. Find the PINK/WHT in the vicinity and terminate in some fashion. If the antenna works putting B+ to a PINK should raise the antenna in an early car.
thx. still no orange or yellow to be found. b plus? just hot on ign?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 AM
czarredd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should pink wire be used at all if you don't have power antenna? Which wire from car should be used for on/off ignition wire to aftermarket HU? I have an 88. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 86 wiring

Quick Reply: 86 wiring