Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Just bought my First Vette (with pics) Needs work

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm not entirely sure why you keep trying to tune it when you need plugs, seems counter productive to me.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:33 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
I'm not entirely sure why you keep trying to tune it when you need plugs, seems counter productive to me.
Funny you should say that, I came to the same conclusion today.

I'm fairly certain my timing is spot on, runs like a champ and starts no problem every time. I think I am still battling some bad gas/residue from the tank. Makes sense, couple of hard corners I might work some gunk loose. i ran it today for about 30 min at idle, and added 5 gal of fresh fuel with some fuel injector cleaner. I'm gonna do the same thing tomorrow and change the fuel filter again, and yes finally replace the spark plugs. I think i'm getting close.

I did notice the light behind the tach is out, I guess I need to look into replacing that.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:39 PM
GIMMESOME
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seeyouinajif
Funny you should say that, I came to the same conclusion today.

I'm fairly certain my timing is spot on, runs like a champ and starts no problem every time. I think I am still battling some bad gas/residue from the tank. Makes sense, couple of hard corners I might work some gunk loose. i ran it today for about 30 min at idle, and added 5 gal of fresh fuel with some fuel injector cleaner. I'm gonna do the same thing tomorrow and change the fuel filter again, and yes finally replace the spark plugs. I think i'm getting close.

I did notice the light behind the tach is out, I guess I need to look into replacing that.
I've been following your project and I'm glad to hear you're getting close. Part of your problems are listening to people that tell you to throw parts at it. I've kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to get into a pissing match. That motor will run with 4 bad injectors, not good, but it will run. Even with all the electronics, it's still basically fuel, spark, timing and compression just like any other engine. Do yourself a favor and buy a factory service manual. They're a bit pricey, but they're worth it. Haynes and the like are for basic repairs. Someone with your skill should be able to read and understand the FSM. And in closing, don't throw parts at it if you don't need to. After you get it running right, then you can start replacing things to make the car more reliable. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIMMESOME
I've been following your project and I'm glad to hear you're getting close. Part of your problems are listening to people that tell you to throw parts at it. I've kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to get into a pissing match. That motor will run with 4 bad injectors, not good, but it will run. Even with all the electronics, it's still basically fuel, spark, timing and compression just like any other engine. Do yourself a favor and buy a factory service manual. They're a bit pricey, but they're worth it. Haynes and the like are for basic repairs. Someone with your skill should be able to read and understand the FSM. And in closing, don't throw parts at it if you don't need to. After you get it running right, then you can start replacing things to make the car more reliable. Good luck.
Thanks for your input. I do need an FSM. I should have not jumped the gun on pads and rotors and bought that, but hindsight and all that.

What I really need is some better weather. I enjoy turning wrenches but not when it's 35* or 45* and raining.

Edit: I forgot the basic rule of a build thread, pics whenever possible.

I was able to score a set of (4) 18x9.5 wagon wheels for my track set up. I really want to put the 315's on but I think they are too wide for the wheels and would probably rub, I'll stick with the 275 slicks.

Last edited by seeyouinajif; 03-28-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Was going to replace the plugs sunday but the shop gave me the wrong ones. Got NGK's today and finished putting them in. Since everyone was all pissy about wires I spent the $40 and got a set of standard wires to do at the same time.

Runs much better now, but still stumbles at low RPM. First time I've been able to get into it and take it up to speed, got it up to 5000 rpm in 2nd I think (automatic so who knows).

I think I should replace the injectors again. I never pulled the gas tank, just siphoned and replaced fuel filter and put new gas in. I emailed the seller of my referb'ed injectors explaining I may have fouled them and they said they would swap them out for me if I just paid shipping each way. This seems like a deal to me, right now I think I should put like 50-100 miles on it then pull the injectors and mail them out to get new ones back. Probably still had some rust in the tank/pump/lines.

Opinions? Couldn't hurt or not worth the effort? Maybe low rpm hesitation is a vacuum issue?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:24 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Just ordered a bunch of parts from rock auto. Thermostat, water temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, wiper blades, and another fuel filter.

Haven't changed the belt yet but I have one so I'll try to do that today along with the oil. Still need to change tranny fluid and filter I'm sure it's old.

The wife is away for a couple of days, need to make sure I do some work on the house and not just the vette otherwise I'll be in the dog house ha.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:13 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Really like Rock Auto so far, awesome service no problems. Not sure if you've seen or get this email but here's a link that might help!
http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclef...l=en&html=true
Old 04-17-2016, 11:32 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Thanks, they can be good but quality control isn't great. I've used them for years because most of the prices are the best, but some things are more with shipping. A few times they have sent me the wrong parts but for the most part not bad.

Just rememered I had a 5% off code that I forgot to use! Damn!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:43 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
if it revved to 5K I'd leave the injectors alone, as they must be working! rock auto has plug wire organizers, as they say in Texas get you some!

5000rpm. wow. in second?

does everybody do that? i dont but if the engine can handle it i will!

here is an organized and simple fix for spark plug wires. thnx chrisfix!!

http://youtu.be/xWO1Oes7oJw

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-18-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

I'm pumped. My 1.25" Spacers came in today, will help with the offset of the new wheels. Working a race at Lime Rock Park this weekend, I'll get some Pirelli Pzero's mounted on the 18x9.5 c5 wheels I got for my track setup (I got 5mm spacers for those wheels, not running the huge adapters on the track).

Won't have any progress till next week, I'll take it around the block tomorrow and maybe fill the tank again to keep running fresh fuel through it. Time is short though, working a half day then need to be on the road at 2 to head to the track to work. Wish I could bring the vette to lime rock, maybe next time.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:16 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Lots of progress today.

Replaced belt
Changed oil and filter
Replaced wiper blades
Washed it
Test fit track setup
Installed spacers
drove it to autozone to pick up a few things

So the wheels I have are real c6 wheels except for the one mismatched. After reading threads on here I opted for 1.25" wheel spacers to get the proper fitment. I should have gotten 1" as now I have sort of a meaty look- I'm ok with it but 1" would have fit perfect. For the one mismatched chinese wheel that is 18x10.5 with who knows what offset I just used a 5mm spacer and now I fit the same all the way around so the street setup is done.

For the track setup I have 4 18x9.5 c5 wagon wheels with Hoosier R7's, 275/35 front and 295/30 rear. With 5mm spacers all around they fit very nicely.

Lastly these wipers seem to be fine except the clip on one doesn't hold, the pass wiper just falls off with any pressure at all. I need to email rock auto for a replacement, I think the blade is fine but no idea where to get the little insert to hold it firmly to the arm.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 PM
david1988c4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just set off the alarm by mistake- how do I fix that? I disconnected the battery for now to stop the horn. Power locks don't really work, hit the button heard the noise, closed the door and grabbed the handle to check and door opened. Guess i need to lube lock assembly.

How do I get it out of security mode now? Connected the battery back and horn started up again. Just wanted to make sure it was locked overnight ha.
maybe pull this fuse for the alarm to turn off. found it yesterday when I was troubleshooting hatch pop. it'll take some interior work to get the center gauges out.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Made a rookie mistake. I was so concerned about the wheel adapters that the one wheel which didn't have one I forgot to torque properly. Felt it on the highway, ruined two lug nuts and one stud. Wheel is fine. Can't wait to replace the stud. . .

On a better note it ran great I drove it a few days this week out about 300 miles on it and it's running great.

Pretty happy with the fitment post-spacer install

Yes I need but paint but this shows the wheels are pretty flush

Last edited by seeyouinajif; 05-01-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Like my dad used to say, get everything working and then worry about what it looks like.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:39 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Originally Posted by ColaBear
Like my dad used to say, get everything working and then worry about what it looks like.
I like that, I'm inclined to agree. No sense putting new paint on a car you can't drive. I was happy with it this week, had some stop and go traffic and some highway cruising, ran really nice temps were good.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Got my new lug nuts in the mail from eBay. They work well, I was able to save the stud I thought was bad. Was just metal from the lug nut that was ruined and probably some aluminum from the wheel. Got lucky, never done that before, still can't believe I left a wheel un-torqued. All it cost me was a couple of lug nuts. Oh and I picked up a nail when I pulled off the highway, so I'll need to plug that.

Plan is to daily drive it again this week. Need to change tranny fluid (picked up a filter), fix horn (not working), drivers window regulator (motor is good but window takes a walk), headliner (sags and messes up my hair haha), and then it will be mostly sorted as a decent daily.

Need to figure out what to do with it. I may sell the track wheels/tires. Because it's an automatic it's not the best road course car, I'm sure it would still be fun but I really need a stick. I could do a manual swap in this car but it's original and has fairly low miles so I hate to hack up something that is worth more than I paid for it. I originally wanted a beater and I feel like this is not that- with some paint this will be a pretty nice sunday driver.

Now I'm just rambling. Feel free to offer opinions. I'll post pics when I do something worthy of a pic.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Washed it Sunday. Yesterday I pulled the left rear off, I picked up a screw when I was driving last week (probably when I pulled off to inspect loose wheel damn!). Plugged it easily with the standard kit, I forget what brand but they're all similar.

I sprayed some black paint on the mufflers to make them less obnoxious looking.

I think the black lugs look good, I'll swap the rest of them when I do the brakes.

I wiped down the dash again too, I haven't done a lot of interior detailing/repair yet been focused on mechancial. Was a nice day for a drive

Thanks for following

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought my First Vette (with pics) Needs work

Old 05-11-2016, 02:42 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

I fear no one is following my thread anymore. I'll keep posting anyway.

Picked up a T-40 so I could take the top off and drive to work/appointments today. Started it up this morning and the "slight" oil leak I had last time I was driving was major, was dripping on the exhaust and caused smoke after idling for about 30 seconds. I tried to see where it was coming from, looked like it was behind/under the distributor. Couldn't really dig into it this morning, was wearing a suit and had to get to a meeting.

Definitely can't drive it until that's fixed, it was bad. I'm hoping the oil pressure switch is back there and that's where it's coming from, hopefully it's not a bigger problem.

Updates to follow.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:46 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

we are. u r doing great. your use of pictures in your thread is great.

sounds like know the first thing to check. dont fear it, it will be fine if you can use your hands and head.

let us know (with pics) what u find.

I fear no one is following my thread anymore. I'll keep posting anyway.

Picked up a T-40 so I could take the top off and drive to work/appointments today. Started it up this morning and the "slight" oil leak I had last time I was driving was major, was dripping on the exhaust and caused smoke after idling for about 30 seconds. I tried to see where it was coming from, looked like it was behind/under the distributor. Couldn't really dig into it this morning, was wearing a suit and had to get to a meeting.

Definitely can't drive it until that's fixed, it was bad. I'm hoping the oil pressure switch is back there and that's where it's coming from, hopefully it's not a bigger problem.

Updates to follow.
The following users liked this post:
seeyouinajif (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:50 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

We are still here checking on your progress but no one comments unless you are asking a question or looking for help.

Keep up the good work and let un know what the oil leak is.

Quick Reply: Just bought my First Vette (with pics) Needs work