Just bought my First Vette (with pics) Needs work

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:33 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just bought my First Vette (with pics) Needs work

Hello all.

Just picked up my first Corvette. Needs work, been sitting for a year. Supposedly has a bad injector, caused it to run and die out. I put a new battery in, fresh fuel, changed oil. It cranks over nice and quick but won't fire. I have pressure at the fuel rail and can hear the pump. I'm thinking it's cap and rotor but haven't checked spark. Cheap and easy to do so that will probably be first. Any other suggestions, common failures? Bad injector shouldn't cause it not to start right?

1990, Auto, 66k, Bone stock (for now)

Old 01-31-2016, 04:13 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
judging by the distributors oreintation

Whomever worked on it dosen't know what they are doing
he labled the plug wires and dropped the distributor in with it off by several teeth, then he tried to over rotate it to get timing

time to start over

put in on top dead center of compression stroke on number one and re-install the distributor firing order is
18436572 the distributor shouldn't be cocked like that
Thanks, I thought it looked odd. Can't even get the cap off with how it's turned it's jammed against the plenum. I've gotta pick up a haynes manual

also look at security light, is it on when you get in the car?

Does it turn off when you rotate the key to "on"
Yes on when I get in and yes off when I rotate to on.
The following users liked this post:
DaveP85C4 (04-23-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 05:25 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I have new replacement bosch3 injectors for my '90 I'm not using. Theses are what people use here. If interested pm me I'll sell them cheap to you.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:52 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Just set off the alarm by mistake- how do I fix that? I disconnected the battery for now to stop the horn. Power locks don't really work, hit the button heard the noise, closed the door and grabbed the handle to check and door opened. Guess i need to lube lock assembly.

How do I get it out of security mode now? Connected the battery back and horn started up again. Just wanted to make sure it was locked overnight ha.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Good advice, as soon as I locked the door with the key alarm was off. Nice to know it works as well as all the interior lights (dark out now). I'm not gonna have time to fix the firing order and distributor for a couple weeks, gonna be out of town for work. I think I'll order one injector just in case and order the cap and rotor. I'll wait to order brakes and tires until after its running. Would love to have this road worthy by March but with my work schedule it will be tight. Needs to be track ready soon after.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

if your going to mess with the injectors call Jon from Fuel injection connection and get a set. add is to the right. do not bother with the hayns manual get a FSM. just saw Polo's offer look into getting them and send them to Joh if needed.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-31-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:04 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
if your going to mess with the injectors call Jon from Fuel injection connection and get a set. add is to the right. do not bother with the hayns manual get a FSM. just saw Polo's offer look into getting them and send them to Joh if needed.
Before I mess with injectors I need to get this thing started. Can't believe what PO said need to diag on my own. I think firing order and timing are a good pace to start. Definitely not buying a set of injectors if I only need one- if I had money to throw away I wouldn't have bought a c4 that didn't run ha.

Last edited by seeyouinajif; 01-31-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:39 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I think Bow Tie Guy is onto your problem. That distributor is seriously clocked. I don't know how one bad injector would stop the engine as a whole from attempting to fire. Random swing but perhaps a component of Pass Key which has disabled the injectors as part of the anti theft. Considering how twisted that distributor is, I wouldn't rule anything out as being tampered with or compromised. Good luck.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 01-31-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

check the injector connectors for corrosion, but a set isn't a bad investment on a car this age
and Polo's set or a set from Jon will be a lot cheaper than buying one at a time as they go plus expence but live and learn. Jon has rebuilt bosch 3s for $189. Polo offered a good deal how much can you get a injector for? to start your miss matched set.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-31-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I think Bow Tie Guy is onto your problem. That distributor is seriously clocked. I don't know how one bad injector would stop the engine as a whole from attempting to fire. Random swing but perhaps a component of Pass Key which has disabled the injectors as part of the anti theft. Considering how twisted that distributor is, I wouldn't rule anything out as being tampered with or compromised. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:51 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Mine are from FIC, never used. I'll do 120.00 shipped. I can't use them.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Mine are from FIC, never used. I'll do 120.00 shipped. I can't use them.
if they will work on my stock 94 if he does not want them I will.

damn looks like they might not work.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-31-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:22 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

I'm pumped with this forum so far very helpful. I look forward to updating this with progress and pics and mods- just sucks that I'm gone for two weeks. This thread will die Tuesday but I'll bring it back when I get home and get this soon to be beast running. Reset the distributor/timing and hopefully a set of injectors just in case (on a budget so we will see)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:32 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by seeyouinajif
I'm pumped with this forum so far very helpful. I look forward to updating this with progress and pics and mods- just sucks that I'm gone for two weeks. This thread will die Tuesday but I'll bring it back when I get home and get this soon to be beast running. Reset the distributor/timing and hopefully a set of injectors just in case (on a budget so we will see)
if you can jump on Polo's offer can not go wrong.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:34 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Seems like as long as I have money this is a good car haha
Old 01-31-2016, 11:05 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Seems like as long as I have money this is a good car haha
if it's got **** or tires it will cost you money
Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Haha true- I always liked If it has pistons or **** I can make it purr

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought my First Vette (with pics) Needs work

Old 02-01-2016, 08:35 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Haha true- I always liked If it has pistons or **** I can make it purr
ok ( JIF ) have you found a FSM yet?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-01-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

ok ( JIF ) have you found a FSM yet?
Not yet haven't really looked. I know there's pdfs and junk I like the hard copies though.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Not yet haven't really looked. I know there's pdfs and junk I like the hard copies though.
Keep checking the C4 Parts for Sale section for FSM's. They turn up from time to time. Note they are year-specific. Also try eBay; they can be found there too. Figure around $60 or so to buy.

The Hayne's manual will be best served as an emergency supply of toilet paper. Or a door stop. Alldata is a good online source but you do have to buy a subscription to access it. I once used Alldata at our shop to look up some information for my '87 and the pages were nothing more than scanned images of the FSM.

I would definitely check for spark before replacing the injectors. Pull the #1 plug wire and put a 3" drill bit into the socket and hold near a good ground and crank the engine. Look for a bluish-white spark. If it's there, then I would pull the cap and look to see if the rotor tip is pointed at the #1 plug wire when the timing mark on the balancer is at 6 degrees BTDC.

It probably can't hurt to buy a new cap and rotor. New plugs too. From the one pic of the engine, it looks like the plug wires have been re-routed so check to make sure the plug wires are in the correct order. In the same pic, it looks like the #1 and #3 injectors are different colors (#1 yellow, #3 gray) so the PO probably swapped out the #1 injector.

Quick Reply: Just bought my First Vette (with pics) Needs work