Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?

Hi Folks! I usually hang in CFOT, but I have a question.

My friend has a 1986 C4 coupe, white/red leather, 4+3, newer tires, original clutch, approx. 93,000 miles. Bone stock. He became it's second owner about 25 years ago. He stopped using it and parked it on his driveway, a few years ago. Registration is NONOP.

He said it hardly runs and his mechanic says it has water and stale fuel in the tank, bad MAF and 2 bad injectors. It needs paint and seat leather.

I told him he could probably sell it quick on CK for 2K, but it's only worth $1000 to me, because I'm overloaded w/ "projects" I can't get to.

What say yous?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

BAD. I never do business with friends. You offer a lowball and you are likely to strain the friendship. Pay more than you like because you are a friend and it creates resentment. Say you bought it and it became a money pit. Could it strain the friendship? Possibly. Could it make him feel guilty? Assuming he is a good friend, it could. I'll Pass.

When I sell to someone, I name a price and either he walks or maybe negotiates. If we can't meet somewhere in the middle, I walk. I can play hardball with a stranger or a friend but I don't care about losing the friendship of a stranger,

If you must get it, I would do the injectors and get a set of rebuilt ones or send them for rebuilding anyways. Not sure how the mechanic knew 2 were bad but there it is.

Stale fuel is easy. Take tank plate off which brings the fuel pump, etc, etc out, siphon the gas off and pour 5 gallons of fresh fuel.

MAF is difficult unless you have a known good one from friends or you are buying a new one. If you are serious, you would have to clean it first and try it with the cleaned injectors and see if it throws a code. Hard to say.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I gave it a quick look over and bought it for a grand. He is a very good friend and an honest guy. No "surprises" with the car would cause me to be sour at him.

The battery was disconnected so I didn't try to start it. The paint has some areas where the clear-coat is flaking. The red leather sport seats will need upholstery kit or possibly a redye. Tires had lots of thread and were evenly worn. He said the right side of the instrument cluster is barely readable.

My son and brother will work on it when time permits. I'll post back in C4 Technical when that occurs. Thanks! Mike
Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Looking forward to the restoration pics, Be sure to start a thread on it
Old 02-08-2016, 10:46 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Doing business with friends or family its a bad idea.

Are you ready to buy a project car?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Doing business with friends or family its a bad idea.

Are you ready to buy a project car?
Never worked out for me or anyone I know. I always feel uncomfortable lowballing or being lowballed. Also I don't like feeling guilty when there is a problem later on. A stranger gets NO warranty. Check all you want and I disclose as much as I know. Blows up in the driveway and it is your affair
Old 02-08-2016, 11:19 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

I disagree, As long as both party's understand "as is" and agree to the deal should be no issues. If there are the friendship may not have been as strong as you thought!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I've sold a few cars between family and friends. Never had an issue. Just be honest and open and things will be fine. It's all a moot point anyway, he bought the car already.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I definitely don't agree with the "don't buy/sell with friends" bit.

Congrats on the purchase. Its possible it could turn out to be a really good buy, and if you guys turn the car around, your friend may be grateful to see the car getting fixed up. Hopefully it isn't a money pit and just takes more cleverness and work than endless $$$.

If you choose to post photos and updates here on the resto, that would be pretty neat.

Get notified of new replies

To What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?

Quick Reply: What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?