Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?

My friend has a 1986 C4 coupe, white/red leather, 4+3, newer tires, original clutch, approx. 93,000 miles. Bone stock. He became it's second owner about 25 years ago. He stopped using it and parked it on his driveway, a few years ago. Registration is NONOP.

He said it hardly runs and his mechanic says it has water and stale fuel in the tank, bad MAF and 2 bad injectors. It needs paint and seat leather.

I told him he could probably sell it quick on CK for 2K, but it's only worth $1000 to me, because I'm overloaded w/ "projects" I can't get to.

What say yous? I'm gonna see the car, for the first time in years, today. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:01 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd love to see it resurrected

be cool if you could wet sand and buff it to a respectable high gloss and get the ol gal going on a budget

watch out for mouse turds if has em you may want to pass that mouseshit is lethal if you get it airborne with a shop vac

hantevirus is the issue
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Where I live theres corvettes that go up to 3k for just a body that are actually sold I believe too, any corvette being parted out near me is lucky to go for 1k, all depends where you live and what other corvettes go for, would love to see pictures of it!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Reak fixer? You know the deal wiht these cars, if he cant unload it quick onb CL he should be thanking you for 1000
Old 02-07-2016, 08:11 PM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeceli
My friend has a 1986 C4 coupe, white/red leather, 4+3, newer tires, original clutch, approx. 93,000 miles. Bone stock. He became it's second owner about 25 years ago. He stopped using it and parked it on his driveway, a few years ago. Registration is NONOP.

He said it hardly runs and his mechanic says it has water and stale fuel in the tank, bad MAF and 2 bad injectors. It needs paint and seat leather.

I told him he could probably sell it quick on CK for 2K, but it's only worth $1000 to me, because I'm overloaded w/ "projects" I can't get to.

What say yous? I'm gonna see the car, for the first time in years, today. Thanks.
My guess is it will need many many things before it will be a DD. Let him sell it for $2K and finish your other projects first. Sounds like a possible money pit. Easy to under estimate what it takes to bring a older car like a Corvette up to spec.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:22 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I think easy fix, IF you want a cheap c4.

Disconnect the fuel line at the engine and the fuel will drain, get new injectors or used, and do something with the maf or just carb it.

The rest of the car dictates of course.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:06 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, for one we can give a better opinion after you see the car today and tell us more about it.

One benefit is since its a friend, youre less likely to run into as many "surprises" if you did take it on. Id assume your friend would be straight with you on the condition.

With that said, it could be a few fixes and then a solid runner, or it could be a complete basket case money pit.

Do YOU want the car?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you all for your input!

I gave it a quick look over and bought it for a grand. He is a very good friend and an honest guy. No "surprises" with the car would cause me to be sour at him.

The battery was disconnected so I didn't try to start it. The paint has some areas where the clear-coat is flaking. The red leather sport seats will need upholstery kit or possibly a redye. Tires had lots of thread and were evenly worn. He said the right side of the instrument cluster is barely readable.

My son and brother will work on it when time permits. I'll post back when that occurs. Mike

Get notified of new replies

To What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?

Quick Reply: What should I offer my friend for his fixer C4?