C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Car starts but does not run for more than a few seconds

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts but does not run for more than a few seconds

I have recently removed everything from the intake manifold up on my L98 85 Corvette in an attempt to clean everything and polish/paint the plenum and runners. I figured while I had everything out it would be a great time to install a new (Non integrated coil) distributor as well as an MSD 6A and Blaster 3 Coil. After many hours of cleaning and reassembly it was time to try and start the car. When I turn the key the engine starts right up but will only run for maybe a few seconds and then shuts off.

List of things done:
1. Plenum Polished & Runners painted
2. Old cracked vacuum lines replaced
3. Intake manifold painted
4. Distributor Replaced with Summit Pro Billet Distributor
5. MSD 6A Installed
6. MSD Blaster 3 coil Installed
7. O-rings on injectors replaced
8. Throttle body heater hose bypassed
9. Smog pump gutted due to no longer functioning
10. (Maybe more that I cannot remember)

I am fairly certain everything has been hooked up and plugged in correctly. I have had 4 other people look at and brainstorm but to no avail. I have not been able to drive the car for close to two months now and would appreciate any help you have to offer.

Last edited by Vokolr; 02-08-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:55 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Pull the vacumme line off the fpr and smell for fuel. And check your fuel pressure and see how long it holds. How is the fuel filter and the sock.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-07-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Pull the vacumme line off the fpr and smell for fuel. And check your fuel pressure and see how long it holds. How is the fuel filter and the sock.
Pulled the line off of the FPR and it smells strongly of fuel. The fuel filter is brand new and I have no reason to believe anything is wrong with the sock. I won't be able to test the fuel pressure until at least tomorrow but I will as soon as I can.

Last edited by Vokolr; 02-07-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:19 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vokolr
Pulled the line off of the FPR and it smells strongly of fuel. The fuel filter is brand new and I have no reason to believe anything is wrong with the sock. I won't be able to test the fuel pressure until at least tomorrow but I will as soon as I can.
Might have a hole in your diaphragm leave the line off and have someone turn the key on without starting a few times. See if it smells more or is wet. Check your oil for fuel do not want a grenade.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Might have a hole in your diaphragm leave the line off and have someone turn the key on without starting a few times. See if it smells more or is wet. Check your oil for fuel do not want a grenade.
I went ahead and did what you said and I can confidently say that it does not smell any stronger of fuel, if at all (Unless you get right up on top of it) and it is not wet. The valve covers were replaced and the oil was changed recently, I do not believe there is any gas in my oil.

Last edited by Vokolr; 02-07-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The line should not smell of fuel I would see how the fuel pressuer holds. If you have a vacumme pump or a taste for fuel put some suction on the hose. I can not see it from here but would take a close look at the fpr.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

A non HEI distributor? No good. The ECM uses the pick up coil inside the HEI distributor to time the injector pulse. No signal = no pulse.
The following users liked this post:
Vokolr (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
A non HEI distributor? No good. The ECM uses the pick up coil inside the HEI distributor to time the injector pulse. No signal = no pulse.
Isn't there a way around this? I have seen plenty of others with a similar set up as mine on their C4's and their's run fine.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Also, My mistake. The Distributor is HEI just a different cap style. I am still leaning towards it being an injection problem though.

Here is the distributor I currently have installed:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...model/corvette

The distributor plugs into the MSD 6A via Magnetic pickup and the MSD 6A connects to the external Blaster 3 coil via a negative and positive wire . The coil then connects back to the center peg on the distributor via a spark plug wire. There is then a tach and ignition wire (From the MSD 6A) which are both plugged into the corresponding connector (The two wires which used to connect to the old GM distributor).
Old 02-08-2016, 12:12 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Install the old distributor with its coil in cap and see if that solves the problem. If it does then you may want to purchase a rebuilt one and a new coil to go with it just for peace of mind. You really do not need an aftermarket distributor and coil if the car is just used for cruising.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The ECM will not turn on the fuel pump (after the 2 second initial fuel rail prime) unless it sees DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor. It appears that you are missing this vital connection.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The ECM will not turn on the fuel pump (after the 2 second initial fuel rail prime) unless it sees DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor. It appears that you are missing this vital connection.
Is there any way that this connection can be made?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:40 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Is there any way that this connection can be made?
When you wired it did you notice you were short on wires?

I think the L98 needs 4 wires coming out of the distributor. The wire you are missing is (I think) the purple one.

Summit is pretty liberal on what 'fits' your car. I'd take it out and send it back
Old 02-08-2016, 10:55 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

You need to start from scratch with your diagnosis. Check to see if you are getting spark, check to see if you are getting injector pulse, and check to see if you are getting fuel pressure. At least one of those 3 things should be missing. Tell us what it is.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
When you wired it did you notice you were short on wires?

I think the L98 needs 4 wires coming out of the distributor. The wire you are missing is (I think) the purple one.

Summit is pretty liberal on what 'fits' your car. I'd take it out and send it back
You are right about summit being pretty liberal, I did notice that I was short on wires but a call to Summit and MSD assured me that it would work anyways. Clearly, they were both wrong. I have taken out the distributor and put the old one back in and the vette started (Although very roughly due to the timing being off) I would still like to try and run the MSD 6A and Coil I have so is there a distributor that is recommended that will actually work with my current set up?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Thank you for your help, you seem to be correct. I have placed the original distributor back into the car and it runs alright.

I would still like to make use of the MSD 6A and Coil since I have spent a decent amount of money on them. Can you recommend a distributor that will work with my setup?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Thank you for your help, you seem to be correct. I have placed the original distributor back into the car and it runs alright.

I would still like to make use of the MSD 6A and Coil since I have spent a decent amount of money on them. Can you recommend a distributor that will work with my setup?
Cliff got it again no surprise there.

Get notified of new replies

To Car starts but does not run for more than a few seconds

Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

The stock distributor will work fine with the 6A. Not sure about the blaster coil. If it's a square coil that goes on top of the distributor cap it will work with the stock distributor, if it's the cylindrical type then it will not work with the stock distributor cap.

The 6A has been used many times by people on this forum with the stock distributor. I am using a 6AL2 with my stock distributor.

Follow the instructions for installing the 6A first and see if you can get it to run with the stock distributor. After that try replacing the distributor with the new one and then see if you can use the blaster coil. You should be following the instructions listed on page 17 of these instructions: https://www.msdignition.com/uploaded...structions.pdf

The GM HEI 5 and 7 pin diagram is what you will be following.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Daniel got it right first.
The following users liked this post:
DanielRicany (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Vokolr
Heel & Toe

The stock distributor will work fine with the 6A. Not sure about the blaster coil. If it's a square coil that goes on top of the distributor cap it will work with the stock distributor, if it's the cylindrical type then it will not work with the stock distributor cap.

The 6A has been used many times by people on this forum with the stock distributor. I am using a 6AL2 with my stock distributor.

Follow the instructions for installing the 6A first and see if you can get it to run with the stock distributor. After that try replacing the distributor with the new one and then see if you can use the blaster coil. You should be following the instructions listed on page 17 of these instructions: https://www.msdignition.com/uploaded...structions.pdf

The GM HEI 5 and 7 pin diagram is what you will be following.
The problem with the new Distributor is that it uses a magnetic pickup instead of the the stock 4 pin connector so, some important wires are left out and thus the engine won't run. I will save these instructions as I am sure I will need to use them soon. What I would like to do is exchange the new distributor that I purchased with one that has the correct connections and allows for the blaster coil to be used as well (A center post for a spark plug wire).

Quick Reply: Car starts but does not run for more than a few seconds