C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C5 brake conversion bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:31 PM
KB_303
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 brake conversion bracket

Im in the process of gathering up all the parts needed to swap out the brakes on my 96 LT4 to C5 brakes. Was wondering where guys are getting the conversion bracket needed to finish this off. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:11 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by KB_303
Im in the process of gathering up all the parts needed to swap out the brakes on my 96 LT4 to C5 brakes. Was wondering where guys are getting the conversion bracket needed to finish this off. Thanks in advance!
There's been many posts recently mentioning maybe that the conversion offers little or NOT ANY increased effectiveness when a car already is equipped with J55 C4 product of reasonable quality. I'm a believer of that/those comments and I don't know why maybe you're considering the expense of the change.

Why? Just because I "want to" is actually a satisfactory answer.

There's been mention of a "reliable supplier" I believe recently also scattered amongst those threads.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-08-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 PM
KB_303
Intermediate

It pretty much boils down to just wanting to. I has all the original components on it right now and Im gonna replace the rotors and pads. Its gonna mainly be an appearance upgrade more than anything, as those shiny red C5 Z06 calipers would look much better than old grey C4 calipers.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by KB_303
It pretty much boils down to just wanting to. I has all the original components on it right now and Im gonna replace the rotors and pads. Its gonna mainly be an appearance upgrade more than anything, as those shiny red C5 Z06 calipers would look much better than old grey C4 calipers.
As far as the caliper color, the only difference between the standard gray C5 caliper and the red C5 Z06 caliper is the paint color. The C4 calipers can be painted or powdercoated in just about any color.

Clean up your existing C4 calipers or buy a reman pair, give them a paint job and get some good performance pads for both front and rear and whatever rotors you want. Performance pads will go a long way in helping brake performance. Get some new flex lines (Stainless lines will work too!), do a complete fluid flush using a good grade of DOT4 fluid such as ATE TYP200 or Motul fluid.

As far as the C5 conversion brackets, eBay would be the place to look for them as most vendors that offer the C5 conversion kits, don't sell just the brackets.

The later C4's already have a 13" rotor and you may not really see a huge increase in braking performance. Good pads are the key and will wind up costing a lot less.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

In my opinion its either go big or go home.

So either paint what you have which will look exactly the same as the c5 stuff your talking about or pony up $2000 and get a real brake upgrade like this :

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...22+Front+Rotor

That will make a difference in stopping power and look cool to boot.

But if you set on the c5 stuff just do ebay like mentioned.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 PM
KB_303
Intermediate

Alright, you guys talked me out if it. I found a local shop willing to powder coat all 4 calipers and brackets for $75. The money saved will go towards finally getting a tune job after the long tube header install! Any tips on cleaning up calipers for powder coating? I figure I'll get some rebuild kits to put everything back together when I get them back.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 brake conversion bracket

Quick Reply: C5 brake conversion bracket