C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Power brakes

When I got the car about a year ago, I thought the brakes took a fair amount of pressure. My mechanic kind of shook his head and said; well, maybe they use more pressure than a normal car because you want to "feel" the braking action.

If I really hit them hard on solid pavement, I cannot lock the wheels, or hear the anti-locks clicking. That's a lot of pressure.
In normal driving, it really doesn't bother me, but I grew up in the era where our Chevelles and Camaro's didn't have power steering or brakes.

I am wondering if there is a way to validate whether or not the power booster is working?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:56 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Pump the brake up then hold it. Then start the car I believe the pedal should go down a bit.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:18 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Find another C4 and step on there brakes to see if there the same.
Been a while since I drove a C4, but I don't remember them being abnormally hard.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Pump the brake up then hold it. Then start the car I believe the pedal should go down a bit.
Good suggestion !
She's hidden in a friends garage for the winter. When I go over, I'll connect the battery and try just that.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

My brakes had a really hard feel that got noticeably better after I found and fixed some bad vacuum lines under the vanity covers on the head.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

My 86 coupe had a normal brake pedal feel. My 87 convertible's pedal is hard as a rock with almost no pedal travel till it starts braking. I think the booster is bad on my 87 so that may be the problem your having.

Also I know for a fact the anti-lock brakes do not work on my 87 either so that may have something to do with it. My 86 would do the test bit after being driven a few feet. My 87 doesn't ever do the test and the previous owner had removed the bulb from the anti-lock warning light socket

Last edited by crowz; 02-09-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Yours are not working correctly.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Well that's the funny part. It actually stops fine. Its just a super firm pedal.

I never would of known the 87's anti-lock part wasn't working if I hadn't of had the 86 before it and how it growls when it does the test part since the bulb had been removed.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:08 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter94
When I got the car about a year ago, I thought the brakes took a fair amount of pressure. My mechanic kind of shook his head and said; well, maybe they use more pressure than a normal car because you want to "feel" the braking action.

If I really hit them hard on solid pavement, I cannot lock the wheels, or hear the anti-locks clicking. That's a lot of pressure.
In normal driving, it really doesn't bother me, but I grew up in the era where our Chevelles and Camaro's didn't have power steering or brakes.

I am wondering if there is a way to validate whether or not the power booster is working?
Hi

There is something wrong you need very little pedal effort to get the ABS exited, the common problems are below.

Cracked booster listen for a hiss (also in car when pressing the pedal)

Wrong compound brake pads, the corvette needs high friction brake pads.

Air in the brake fluid, the pedal should feel firm not spongy.

Air in the ABS pump, now a lot of people have come across problems due to the ABS pump trapping air inside it.
Some have mentioned going on a closed road and really stamping on the brake pedal to activate the ABS, after doing this several times the abs pump has been cleared and it becomes easy to activate the ABS with minimal pressure.

A lot have problems bleeding the brakes and abs pump successfully.

look at the brake hoses are they good and not swollen, jack a wheel of the ground and rotate the tire as someone applies the brake pedal.
That will be the easiest way to check the caliper piston is not seized.

My brakes are great with dot 4 brake fluid that is flushed every 2 years, with hawk brake pads.

Good luck
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

There is something wrong you need very little pedal effort to get the ABS exited, the common problems are below.

Cracked booster listen for a hiss (also in car when pressing the pedal)

Wrong compound brake pads, the corvette needs high friction brake pads.

Air in the brake fluid, the pedal should feel firm not spongy.

Air in the ABS pump, now a lot of people have come across problems due to the ABS pump trapping air inside it.
Some have mentioned going on a closed road and really stamping on the brake pedal to activate the ABS, after doing this several times the abs pump has been cleared and it becomes easy to activate the ABS with minimal pressure.

A lot have problems bleeding the brakes and abs pump successfully.

look at the brake hoses are they good and not swollen, jack a wheel of the ground and rotate the tire as someone applies the brake pedal.
That will be the easiest way to check the caliper piston is not seized.

My brakes are great with dot 4 brake fluid that is flushed every 2 years, with hawk brake pads.

Good luck
Thanks,
I have the receipts from the origional owner, but it doesn't say what brand brake pads. The front pads were $195.00 and the rear were $130.00. They are noted as Ceramic pads. I don't know if ceramic pads are considered high friction or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Power brakes

Quick Reply: Power brakes