Starting Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Thanks for the info. I've got a Dremel with the flex shaft so I'll try that before I invest in a press.

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:04 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Finally able to do some more work on the car this week. I have decided to go ahead and pull the engine and go thru it while the car is down. Removed the A/C compressor, alternator, water pump, opti, pwr steering pump and it is just about ready to pull the engine. Got my neighbor to help pull the hood and get it out of the way. After reading about the difficulties with the crank damper, I was really lucky because mine came off relatively easy, but will use anti-seize when it goes back together. I think I will rebuild the engine basically stock, but am planning on adding headers while its apart. Looking forward to the rebuild, it has been quite a few years since I rebuilt one, but it is something I will really enjoy. I'm going to convert to an electric water pump while I'm at it.
Here's some pics of the car as it is now.

Hood up out of the way
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I just read your whole thread, your doing a great job on the car! I am on a very similar restoration journey with my 1988 Corvette. I will be following this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Fastnail (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
I just read your whole thread, your doing a great job on the car! I am on a very similar restoration journey with my 1988 Corvette. I will be following this thread.

Good luck with yours. I know that I am enjoying doing the work on mine. Just wish it was done so I could drive the car now that the weather is getting better, but it will be worth the wait.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

At some time I would like to do as you have.. great job and thread. Dalesc4 is a work of art, good on you mate. ( my wife is an Aussie) lol. Would love to pull my 86 into the garage for winter, but its unheated so that's out.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:50 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Hey, all, time to update this post.

Have been working on the car off and on for the past month, but had to take time off for double hernia surgery, so it has been slow. Got the engine out, but decided to wait to go through it until this winter, need a project for then, and am trying to get the car back together in time to work out any bugs before the 28th of May. Going to a track day at Talladega and have already paid for the sessions, so don't want to miss that. Cleaned up the engine bay and trans tunnel while the engine/transmission was out. Repainted the front frame and cleaned up everything before putting them back in. Batwing and carrier is back in, along with the driveshaft and c-beam, cats and all wiring hooked back up. Replaced the u-joints all around, oil pressure sensor(broke it removing the engine), knock sensors, spark plugs and wiring, opti, all 4 O2 sensors, and all gaskets/seals(except head gaskets) on the engine. I only have to install the throttle body, fill with fluids and then I can start it to check for leaks.

Finally got started cleaning the suspension parts, and will hopefully start putting that all back together next week. I'll post more as I go along. Can't wait to get it finished so I can drive it again, we've been having great weather here in NW Florida and I hate to waste it.

I will throw this out there for you all, so take it for what its worth. If you are like me, and this is the first Corvette that you have torn into, take a lot of pictures before you tear anything apart. When you think you have enough pics, take more. It will really help when it comes time to try to remember where that wiring harness, hose or whatever runs when you are putting it all back together.

Cheers
Mark

What a mess

Before paint...

...and after.

New electric water pump.

Rear yokes, left one has been cleaned with glass bead.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Fastnail
I decided to use red on the bushings and dust covers.
Now you need red grease.
Otherwise those boots will look like crap in a year or two.

Just saying

Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 AM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Now you need red grease.
Otherwise those boots will look like crap in a year or two.

Just saying

Yea, that's true. Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Well, got the rear suspension parts cleaned up, painted and installed. Makes a huge difference. Brake kit is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so will get the new brakes in this week. Ended up getting EBC rotors and pads. Originally ordered from R1 Concepts, but after more than a week I called them and they hadn't even processed my order. Some BS about fraudulent orders coming from Florida. Be careful if you order from them. All the front end parts are cleaned and painted and started on the right side today. Hopefully I will have the car back on the road this week. Can't wait to drive it again and see how much better things are.

Here are some new pics.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:26 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Your suspension looks awesome! Keep up the great work.
Fastnail (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow, looks fantastic!!
Fastnail (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Got the front suspension all together today, went with a ZO7 front spring and a ZR1 rear. Still have to clean up and repaint the sway bars before I install them. Replaced all 4 ball joints and hubs with MOOG parts, so car is basically new at all 4 corners. Can't wait to see how much difference it makes in the ride and handling. Brakes are here, so hopefully tomorrow will get them installed and bled. Still have to install the inner fenders all around and install and adjust both front fenders, and go over all fasteners to make sure everything is torqued correctly. Don't want to be dropping parts off of it. Going to fill all fluids tomorrow and start it up and check for any leaks. Decided to replace both knock sensors and all 4 O2 sensors while everything was easier to get to, hopefully won't throw any codes. Have an appointment to get the alignment for next Tuesday, couldn't get anything sooner, so won't be able to drive it until I get that done.

Here are some pics of the front suspension.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Finished the car last night. Had issues getting the electric water pump wired without going thru the firewall. Ended up using a 20amp auto reset breaker and a relay using sensing voltage from the coil to finish it all up. Only had one leak when I started the car, one of the O-rings was missing on the fuel filter connections and I missed it when I installed the new filter. I was really happy that I had no codes for the engine, ABS or Ride Control. Got the alignment done today and the A/C charged and everything is working great. I can tell a definite difference in the ride and there is less road noise with the new tires. Now just have to get some miles on the new brakes before Talladega next week at the Vettes4Vets event on the 28th.

Here are some pics of the new brakes. Cheers to all and thanks for the words of encouragement.

Quick Reply: Starting Suspension Upgrade