C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Trans overfilled

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:31 PM
PAPERBKWRITER
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trans overfilled

I bought a '94 coupe last fall and stored it all winter and now I'm getting ready to put it on the road. I bought it from a GM dealer with "factory trained" techs. So, I had it shipped from out of state and when I get it home I find it's 4 quarts overfilled with oil. OK took care of that. Now the trans fluid is 2 1/2 " above the filled line when cold. I think it's probably 2 quarts or more overfilled. So, without dropping the pan how do I get it out? Would one of those cheap gas suction things work?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:29 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

you disconnect the lower transmission cooler line from the radiator

start the engine and fill a 2 litre soda bottle with fluid try taking out a qt first and keep and eye on the level as you pump it out 15 -20 seoconds
should get a qt out

You may need some sections of hose to slip over the cooler line
this trans flush procedure has been discussed here at length use the search function if it what I'm describing dosen't make sense to you
Old 03-15-2016, 04:31 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have used a suction on a couple cars and it wouldn't work on a few. I don't know on a '94 Corvette.

However, I wouldn't bother trying. If these "factory trained" techs couldn't fill it right, then do you think they even used the right fluid? I would think this is a great time to drop the trans oil pan and replace the filter and put in new fluid so you know what you are starting with.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:04 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I use the suction device right thru the dipstick hole. I suction out almost 2 qts
Old 03-16-2016, 12:29 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPERBKWRITER
Now the trans fluid is 2 1/2 " above the filled line when cold.
That's about right. When the engine is running the trans pump fills up the torque converter and the trans cooler, so the level will drop.

You need to check the fluid level when the trans is HOT and the engine is running. After driving to get the trans hot I usually wait a minute or so for everything to settle down before checking the level.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 03-16-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 AM
PAPERBKWRITER
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the prompt replies. You guys have given me some great ideas.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:28 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Drop the pan or use some sort of suction device.

I am reasonably confident the cooler lines at the radiator are part of the lubrication circuit in your transmission. Personally I wouldn't interrupt the flow of that oil, even though it may seem easier.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
Drop the pan or use some sort of suction device.

I am reasonably confident the cooler lines at the radiator are part of the lubrication circuit in your transmission. Personally I wouldn't interrupt the flow of that oil, even though it may seem easier.
I thought the oil goes from the trans to the trans cooler and back? The return line seems higher than the oil pan which is where it sucks the fluid out of via the filter which is almost at the bottom. So while it is part of the circuit, what would it affect, really? I know on my Powerstroke, the trans builder who effectively warranties his transmissions for life does it that way and did it in front of me one time and we didn't see any bubbles in the clear tube. We dumped the appropriate amount of fluid in, overfilled by a few (maybe 4 qt), start it and when about a gallon fills up, we shut down. Overfill again, run engine and shut down. After that, we top off. We did this because there was no drain plug in the TC and we wanted to clean out that old fluid after 30K
Old 03-16-2016, 10:56 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I have used a suction on a couple cars and it wouldn't work on a few. I don't know on a '94 Corvette.

However, I wouldn't bother trying. If these "factory trained" techs couldn't fill it right, then do you think they even used the right fluid? I would think this is a great time to drop the trans oil pan and replace the filter and put in new fluid so you know what you are starting with.

Good luck.
with this 100%...Once I find something someone has screwed up on a car, then any work they have done becomes suspect....?...WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-16-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WW7
with this 100%...Once I find something someone has screwed up on a car, then anything they have done becomes suspect....?...WW
I usually have bad luck leaving the car there for you to fix. Even if they say "no standing by the car", I sit far away enough in the shop with binoculars to see what is going on. I have trust issues.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I thought the oil goes from the trans to the trans cooler and back? The return line seems higher than the oil pan which is where it sucks the fluid out of via the filter which is almost at the bottom. So while it is part of the circuit, what would it affect, really? I know on my Powerstroke, the trans builder who effectively warranties his transmissions for life does it that way and did it in front of me one time and we didn't see any bubbles in the clear tube. We dumped the appropriate amount of fluid in, overfilled by a few (maybe 4 qt), start it and when about a gallon fills up, we shut down. Overfill again, run engine and shut down. After that, we top off. We did this because there was no drain plug in the TC and we wanted to clean out that old fluid after 30K
You could also drain your engine oil by disconnecting an oil cooler line and running the engine, but you would be starving the engine of its life blood.

I just don't do things that way. To each their own.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
You could also drain your engine oil by disconnecting an oil cooler line and running the engine, but you would be starving the engine of its life blood.

I just don't do things that way. To each their own.
I agree that draining ALL the oil that way is bad for the engine except perhaps for a Powerstroke that will die when there isn't enough oil to fire the injectors.

However, would it hurt if you had an assistant who would help you shut down after a quart or two? I suppose the safest way is to do what I have done which is use my Topsider to suck it out. Unfortunately many don't have shop air and the Topsider

Get notified of new replies

To Trans overfilled

Quick Reply: Trans overfilled