C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone Still Using Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone Still Using Zaino?

I was a hard core Zaino user for many years. Then I ventured back to Carnuba Waxes such Pinnacle and Zymol and other waxes sold locally at Pep Boys. Although these waxes give me a better finish than Zaino, they did not last as long. But the hassles and expense and mail order buying of Zaino got old quick.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I used to have a waxing problem where I did it almost every week...one day I woke up and realized I was waxing the car more than I was driving it !

Since then going to clay bar following NuFinish a few times year works just as good...in between those times I use a simple spray on wax...Still shines like day 1 and a helluva lot less effort!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:56 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used to be a Zaino user but I also got to where I spent more time applying it than taking the car out somewhere.

I have been using Griot's Garage products for a few years now and I really like their stuff. It's pricey but I think they work very well and I don't spend anywhere near the time as I did with Zaino. Having the main Griot's store about 20 miles away helps too!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Die hard Zaino user here.

To really understand the difference between polymers and waxes in practical terms, there's nothing like a BLACK car! (Anything looks good on a white car...)

Good results always begins with the preparation, preparation, preparation...

Even bargain brands will look good when first applied.

The big difference is in how long it endures and how often it has to be stripped (preparation again) and reapplied.

In spite of taking longer to prep and lay on the Zaino base coats, the fact I could go multiple seasons w/o having to repeat that process where high-end carnuba required a minimum of one or two times a season, convinces me that polymers are worth the effort.

Want more proof of durability? After sitting in the summer sun, try wiping off dust or pollen or fingerprints...while the paint is hot. If the thought of doing that makes you queasy to even think about...you're prolly using WAX and not a polymer (like Zaino).

So, I found that in reality the Zaino was (by far) easier to maintain, once applied.

Your mileage may vary.

To each his own!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:06 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I used to be a Zaino user but I also got to where I spent more time applying it than taking the car out somewhere.

I have been using Griot's Garage products for a few years now and I really like their stuff. It's pricey but I think they work very well and I don't spend anywhere near the time as I did with Zaino. Having the main Griot's store about 20 miles away helps too!
I've been using Griot's for quite some time now, it has never disappointing. A few years ago I bought their orbital and it's been great. Do mine and my wife's DD every year and the Corvette every other.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:06 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
I was a hard core Zaino user for many years. Then I ventured back to Carnuba Waxes such Pinnacle and Zymol and other waxes sold locally at Pep Boys. Although these waxes give me a better finish than Zaino, they did not last as long. But the hassles and expense and mail order buying of Zaino got old quick.
The Zymol found in pep boys and other regular stores is turtle wax and in general garbage.

The real Zymol is awesome.

I use Zaino but pretty much stick to the ZAIO and the quick detail spray. The 50 steps zaino products are too time consuming for me.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:31 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

In spite of taking longer to prep and lay on the Zaino base coats, the fact I could go multiple seasons w/o having to repeat that process where high-end carnuba required a minimum of one or two times a season. So, I found that in reality the Zaino was (by far) easier to maintain, once applied.
I agree, the initial prep required for Zaino can be time consuming, but I have found Zaino (a polymer) to outlast waxes. I discovered I spend less time having to maintain Zaino, it has proven to be durable and does wonders for dark color cars like mine.

B17Crew
Old 03-31-2016, 03:02 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used nothing but Liquid Glass on my previous Vettes. I've been using NuFinish on my 35th Anniversary (after clay barring and a non-abrasive rubbing compound). It looks like a white mirror.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:03 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Of course much like "which oil brand should I use" this will turn into one of those religious debate threads . Personally use what makes you happy and enjoy driving, not waxing!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

To really understand the difference between polymers and waxes in practical terms, there's nothing like a BLACK car! (Anything looks good on a white car...)

Good results always begins with the preparation, preparation, preparation...

Even bargain brands will look good when first applied.

The big difference is in how long it endures and how often it has to be stripped (preparation again) and reapplied.

In spite of taking longer to prep and lay on the Zaino base coats, the fact I could go multiple seasons w/o having to repeat that process where high-end carnuba required a minimum of one or two times a season, convinces me that polymers are worth the effort.

Want more proof of durability? After sitting in the summer sun, try wiping off dust or pollen or fingerprints...while the paint is hot. If the thought of doing that makes you queasy to even think about...you're prolly using WAX and not a polymer (like Zaino).

So, I found that in reality the Zaino was (by far) easier to maintain, once applied.

Your mileage may vary.

To each his own!
Excellent post and right on point.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:26 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Never used Zaino, however I use either Meguires or Adam's.
The following users liked this post:
CREWZIN (04-20-2017)
Old 04-01-2016, 03:16 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I discovered Nufinish by accident. I got a free membership to a product rating web site and they were reviewing car finishes. The #1 product was liquid Nufinish (they used to make a paste version - and still might but I haven't seen it recently). I had never heard of Nufinish and had no idea where to buy it. About 6 months later I saw it in a Sav-On (I think they were only in So. Cal.) drug store. I bought some and found it lasted much longer than the Turtle wax I was using (on my non-Vette daily driver). I still use Nufinish on my daily driver ('86).

I heard about Zaino years ago on another forum and back then it was only known on the East coast. I bought some and really liked the way it buffed off very easily. This was back in the days when you had to let it dry for 24 hours before buffing. I have been using Zaino ever since on the car I show (2013 Grand Sport). I went to an autocross one time and was putting a car number on my car with 2" masking tape. It just peeled right off and would not stick to the Zaino at all.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to use zaino but like others got tired of ordering it and all the work and especialy the cost. I'm a retired electrical lineman and we had wax that we used on fiberglass sticks we used to work hot 7000 and 69000 volt lines with. It was a paste wax that is very high in Cordoba and in the can is very hard. So hard that I light it on fire and let it melt a bit in the tub and then use my wax applicator to put it on. It is formulated especially for fiberglass . I can put this wax on my truck in the fall and go all winter up here in salt country and water still beads and about all the dirt comes off with a hose. I got 3 tubs before I retired and that's enough to last my lifetime so no more zaino for me. Try it I think youll be as impressed as me http://www.midwestunlimited.com/prod...ucket-Wax.html

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 04-01-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:01 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I still use Zaino. Love the Grand Finale.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:07 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

nu finish.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:33 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
Of course much like "which oil brand should I use" this will turn into one of those religious debate threads . Personally use what makes you happy and enjoy driving, not waxing!
...amen!

now, if I owned a million dollar museum piece, I might be a little more selective on what brand of wax or polish to use. however, on my daily drivers, wax is wax is wax. all I need is easy on - easy off....

Last edited by Joe C; 04-04-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i believe the initial Zaino commitment lessens the maintenance later. Years ago I applied 25 coats in a few week period. The paint is a constant compliment with only bi-monthly Zaino washes. It's the best result ever achieved on any of my cars, but took quite the effort at first. The Grand Finale after a wash and dry is just amazing and could not be easier.

You have to start with a great paint job though. It won't fix a low quality finish. And yes it is expensive and mail order exclusive. Just another labor of Corvette love.

Last edited by tlong; 04-04-2016 at 04:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Still Using Zaino?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe C
...amen!

now, if I owned a million dollar museum piece, I might be a little more selective on what brand of wax or polish to use. however, on my daily drivers, wax is wax is wax. all I need is easy on - easy off....
Wax ON...wax OFF!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Wax ON...wax OFF!

no, no, no, try -

now that, I would use zaino!

Last edited by Joe C; 04-04-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe C
no, no, no, try -

now that, I would use zaino!

You get NO argument from me!!

Quick Reply: Anyone Still Using Zaino?