C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Suspension Info Needed, Parts Swapping Gen S2 to S1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Suspension Info Needed, Parts Swapping Gen S2 to S1

My project this time is the rebuild the suspension in my C4 Lois, and install S2 Gen calipers etc..

I'd like to install Gen S2 front and rear knuckles so I can install the larger calipers and rotors. I have a good used supply in my garage of both S1 and S2 suspension and brakes parts. I can rebuild everything ahead of time and take my time.

I know the control arms and top cross bar a not interchangeable parts. But I have read that the Knuckles are interchangeable and the differences are minimal, ie.. the ABS sensor location and the caliper mounting tabs - which is what I need to mount the S2 larger calipers.

Anyone have Solid info on this ??

I don't know if the Engine Cradle from a S2 would bolt in without mod's,, But I'm not wanting to go to that laborious task, probably. BUT , if it were the only means, then YES - and install a new clutch disc at the same time.

This Car,

With the help of my Dad and a couple of friends we gutted this C4 in about 1999. I mean everything, engine, trans, diffy suspension, interior....... etc. New ZZ4 Hot Cam Fast burn, new Doug Nash, rebuild the Dana 44 and went to 3:73 gears, all suspension, paint, body mods ,,,,, etc...

And since then shes's only seen 8k miles, Ya I know Not Good . The rubber bushings (I know, a very poor choice) are hard and stick - It's like riding in an old pickup truck. And I can imagine the calipers, maters cyl. I already had to deal with the throttle body Gummed up on the coolant side.

Any Help would be appreciated....
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I'll "bite" - I've never seen you hang a year on "LOIS", the year matters very much. The exterior snapshot isn't conclusive to what you actually have. I'm assuming you're S1 reference is '84 - '87 and S2 is '88+ BUT that's only for control arms, knuckles (there's further split) and the rack. There's three front suspension members '84 - '87, '88 - '91 L98 and '90 & '91 LT5 which also fits '92+.

So if you'd like to commit to #'s I can help. You can't mix what you call S1 control arms & knuckles with S2 similar components.

What do you really want to know?

Quick Reply: Suspension Info Needed, Parts Swapping Gen S2 to S1