C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Starting your Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:13 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Starting your Corvette

Do you wait for your Gages to read zero before starting, or do you go right to start?

I noticed if I just go to start from off the engine will only crank 1-2 seconds before coming to life. If I wait for Gages to go to zero, it may take an additional 2 seconds.

Thoughts? I know my fuel pressure goes right to zero after the fuel pump primes. I don't believe the C4 L98's have a fuel pressure check valve.

My fuel pressure when running and at prime is about 40 psi.

New reman injectors from FIC.

New Delphi fuel pump assembly installed.

Last edited by mcguirjf; 04-05-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you know for certain that the fuel pressure goes to 0 after the fuel pump primes??
Old 04-06-2016, 12:03 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I turn the key until the motor makes motor noises.
The following 2 users liked this post by eschoendorff:
B.W. (05-27-2021), puterami (05-28-2021)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

When starting I usually until I hear the fuel pump has pressurized the fuel system then start (about the time the gauges zero), otherwise on my car it takes longer to start if it try to crank I right away.

When I turn the key part way I can hear a little hum for about 1-2 seconds which is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system, once the hum stops (gauges zero) then I start the motor.

I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a gauge and on my car once the key is turn part way and the fuel pump pressurizes the system, it stays at full pressure and does not drop back to zero. In fact I have noticed that even after turning the engine off the fuel pressure stays at full pressure for a few minutes before gradually going lower until it reaches Zero maybe 20-30min after the car is shut off.

I run my fuel pressure at around 45psi but I think stock motor should be about 42psi. It seems odd that your fuel pressure temporarily goes to zero after the fuel pump has pressurized the system... do you have a fuel pressure gauge on it or how did you know it is temporarily going to zero?

Last edited by DMITTZ; 04-06-2016 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pifo1964 (03-26-2017)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by mcguirjf
Do you wait for your Gages to read zero before starting, or do you go right to start?

I noticed if I just go to start from off the engine will only crank 1-2 seconds before coming to life. If I wait for Gages to go to zero, it may take an additional 2 seconds.

Thoughts? I know my fuel pressure goes right to zero after the fuel pump primes. I don't believe the C4 L98's have a fuel pressure check valve.

I think it sounds fine to me. It makes perfect sense that it would take slightly longer to fire up if you first allow the fuel pressure to return to zero before engaging the starter.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

As I stated my car has an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator so it may function differently. But when the fuel pump primes in my car that pressurizes the system and it stays pressurized until the motor is started, do the stock fuel pressure regulators not allow the pump to pressurize the fuel system before starting as mine does? I thought they would to allow easier starting, rather than waiting until the motor is cranked to build fuel pressure...or forcing the driver to crank the motor before the fuel pump finishes priming the system...

most cars I have owned including my corvette started better once the fuel pump had primed/pressurized the system rather than cranking before it had completed priming...

just trying to determine why the OP's fuel pressure goes to zero after the pump primes the system, by the time the gauges Zero (a few seconds)...seems odd to me but my car is not stock so it my function differently than a stock vehicle...

Last edited by DMITTZ; 04-06-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:34 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

I just checked under the hood and the return line has a inline diaphragm. Is this suppose to hold pressure? The fuel pressure regulator is located between the two fuel rails which Would lead me to believe that the diaphragm is what holds pressure.

The schrader valve is located on the passenger side fuel rail.

I have read on later C5+ that pressure is held for long time and bleeds down slowly, but I believe they have a check valve at the fuel pump assembly.

Do I need to replace the return fuel line with the diaphragm?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Here is picture of the diaphragm in question.

Located just under the bracket.

Another picture with it located just under AC hose. Of course.

Last edited by mcguirjf; 04-07-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I start it like any other modern engine. Hit the key until it runs.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

I found a couple additional threads with no results. Screw it! Nowhere man, you got the logic in this one.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If the car has been sitting for some time I cycle the ignition a few times before starting, otherwise I just crank it over. Starts after 1-2 seconds everytime. (Hope I didn't jinx myself)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 turn the key and start
If youre lloosing all pressure you have a problem somewhere
Pressure regulator should be inline towards the rear of the plenum area if I remember correctly pull the vacuum line off see if its wet for starters
Old 04-08-2016, 12:38 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I know my fuel pressure goes right to zero after the fuel pump primes. I don't believe the C4 L98's have a fuel pressure check valve.
That is not right. It shouldn't do that (go to zero). L98's do have a check valve in the fuel pump.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If youre lloosing all pressure you have a problem somewhere
Pressure regulator should be inline towards the rear of the plenum area if
And, to answer your question earlier about the diaphragm in your "return line", that doesn't "hold pressure", the regulator does -or should. That thing is your pic, is I BELIEVE, a device for absorbing/smoothing fuel pressure pulses, and I also believe that is your feed line, not your return.

If you're losing pressure immediately after pump shuts off, you need to pinch off your rubber feed and return, see if it drops. Only places it can leak are injectors and regulator.

If no drop, pinch off return, test again; if it drops, it's your check valve in the pump.

If no drop, pinch feed line, test again. If it drops, it is your regulator.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
I turn the key until the motor makes motor noises.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:08 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

As I noted earlier I replaced my stock fuel pressure regulator many years ago with an adjustable one, so my car may function differently than stock.

However, my car does hold pressure once the fuel pump primes, and only gradually bleeds off that pressure over 20-30min if the cars not running. I suspect that when stock it would have functioned the same way, and it seems logical to me that the fuel system should hold pressure once the pump primes and not let it immediately drop back to 0.

The suggestions Tom400CFI gave seems like a good place to start.

let us know what you find.

having said that if the only problem you are having is that it takes a few seconds of cranking to start the car, its up to you whether or not you want to spend the time try to figure out what is only a very small issue at this point.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 04-08-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:49 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
When I turn the key part way I can hear a little hum for about 1-2 seconds which is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system, once the hum stops (gauges zero) then I start the motor.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:02 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

non OE. I have a High performance external fuel pump. NO check ball. this is not needed! I need to start immediately. Pressure does not Hold in my rails. When the pump is off.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting your Corvette

Old 04-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

According to my GM service manual, for 1989 Corvette, there are 4 reasons for fuel pressure to drop.
1. In-tank fuel pump check valve not holding.
2. Pump coupling hose or pulsator leaking.
3. Fuel pressure regulator valve leaking.
4. Injector(s) sticking open.

Not mentioned in this section but mentioned earlier in the manual is any connection in the fuel supply line, such a damage or loose fittings or any damage to the fuel line from the tank to the engine bay. Also mentioned are the fuel pressures acceptable, 34 to 47 psi.
My own 1989 C4 will hold pressure for over an hour, measured at the fuel pressure test connector. I have an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator, however stock regulator should also hold pressure after shut down.
I hope this information will aid in finding your problem.

Last edited by Frodo; 04-08-2016 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jackson007 (05-26-2021)
Old 04-08-2016, 03:52 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Amazon order placed for new AC Delco fuel pressure regulator. Will post the results.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 PM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So what were the results?

Quick Reply: Starting your Corvette