Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

interested to see if that cures the issue
Old 04-30-2016, 09:22 AM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I replaced the idler pulley. Whistling noise seems to be gone. But now a new problem arose: car starting losing electrical power while running. Happened several times while cruising: all the lights started dimming and actually turned off for a split second (this was at night with headlights on). Also happened at idle, when I turned the steering wheel - everything dimmed.

I'm stumped because the alternator was just rebuilt a month ago, and the battery is 1-2 years old and I ALWAYS keep the car hooked up to my battery tender when parked.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:17 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dayle97se
I replaced the idler pulley. Whistling noise seems to be gone. But now a new problem arose: car starting losing electrical power while running. Happened several times while cruising: all the lights started dimming and actually turned off for a split second (this was at night with headlights on). Also happened at idle, when I turned the steering wheel - everything dimmed.

I'm stumped because the alternator was just rebuilt a month ago, and the battery is 1-2 years old and I ALWAYS keep the car hooked up to my battery tender when parked.
Did it happen the minute you put everything back together? Did you take it for a drive and it started or have you driven the car some before it started ?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:30 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by dayle97se

Just because its rebuilt doesn't mean its functioning properly. I have had unbelievably bad luck with reman alternators from every vendor except ac delco.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 AM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Think I found the culprit: my battery quick disconnect was loose. Odd thing is that I never even touched it when doing all this work. All seems fine now.

Quick Reply: 1996 LT1 engine whistling noise (video