Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:19 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 280 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Noisy Interior?

Hey gang,
I wanted to reach out and get some information & opinions regarding the noise level inside your rides.

We have developed a 4 layer sound deadening mat already for the C5, C6 &C7 that takes about 60 seconds to install.
Its pre cut & it just drops in. Place it right over your carpet in your cargo area (there is not no adhesive).

We want to know if C4 owners experience the same tire/road noise in their interior.
This appeals more to certain states like Texas, Cali, Florida....etc where the roads are either concrete or have a top layer that make the tires roar! .

Real quick and real effective against road & tire noise and takes the edge off exhaust. We have sold thousands since 2008 for the C7, C6 & C5.
You can read more about it here.. http://store.tkoperformance.com/20c7blsodesy.html

I wanted to know if C4 owners have similar noise issues & could benefit from our mats. Certain states (like Texas, Cal, FLorida...etc) the roads are either concrete or have a certain top surface and it makes the tires roar!

(Installed in a C7)

Please tell us if...
1 You get a lot of tire & road noise?

2 What state do you live in (some states are known to be worse)

3 Stock or after market exhaust to loud for long trips?

4 If you experience noise, can you explain if it sounds like its coming from the cargo area, behind the seats..etc

5 What year is your C4?.

6 Coupe or vert?

I appreciate any help. Thank you for reading this!

Ed

Serving The Corvette Forum For 23 Years!!

Allow us to add you to the list of extremely satisfied customers.
Order Securely Online 24/7: http://tkoperformance.com/index.html
Feel Free To Contact Us By Phone: 1800 -778- 9898 Monday- Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm

Click Here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TKO-Pe...e/367433626633

Last edited by TKO Performance; 04-22-2016 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tmirisola (04-20-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 07:20 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TKO Performance
Hey gang,
I wanted to reach out and get some information & opinions regarding the noise level inside your rides.

We have developed a 4 layer sound deadening mat that takes about 60 seconds to install.
Its pre cut & it just drops in. Place it right over your carpet in your cargo area (there is not no adhesive).

We want to know if C4 owners experience the same tire/road noise in their interior.
This appeals more to certain states like Texas, Cali, Florida....etc where the roads are either concrete or have a top layer that make the tires roar! .

Real quick and real effective against road & tire noise and takes the edge off exhaust. We have sold thousands since 2008 for the C7, C6 & C5.
You can read more about it here.. http://store.tkoperformance.com/20c7blsodesy.html

I wanted to know if C4 owners have similar noise issues & could benefit from our mats. Certain states (like Texas, Cal, FLorida...etc) the roads are either concrete or have a certain top surface and it makes the tires roar!

(Installed in a C7)

Please tell us if...
1 You get a lot of tire & road noise?
(What state This applies especially to people in certain states like TX, FL, CA, where some roads make the tires roar.

2 Stock or after market exhaust to loud for long trips?

3 What year do you drive?.

4 Coupe or vert?

I appreciate any help. Thank you for reading this!

Ed

1 You get a lot of tire & road noise? Not too bad with the continental tires, but it is still there, especially on less maintained roads. I live in the Tampa, FL area

2 Stock or after market exhaust to loud for long trips? The Magnaflow I had wasn't too bad but did drone after a while. The Corsa I have now does not drone at cruising speed but is very loud around town when going through the gears. I already have Frost King foil adhesive under the carpet but not much effect on interior volume.

3 What year do you drive? 1994 LT1 6-speed with the base FE1 suspension.

4 Coupe or vert? Coupe
TKO Performance (04-22-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The only time I have any issue is when I talk on the phone in my car, which is very rare. But when I do, it's really hard for me to hear the other person, and the other person always says they can't hear me over the noise. This is strange to me since the driving experience is not particularly noisy. Maybe it's the tone of the noise which is a low rumble almost all the time.

1 You get a lot of tire & road noise? (What state This applies especially to people in certain states like TX, FL, CA, where some roads make the tires roar.

Not particularly, the level of road noise really does depend on the pavement type and condition. Concrete generally tends to be more noisy than asphalt. But grinded/smoothed concrete can sometimes be quieter than asphalt. But there is no question that broken pavement is the worst in these cars, and I have the base FE1 suspension that is pretty soft. I'm running older Goodyear Eagle HP tires that need to be replaced - the rubber is hard, which may be part of the noise problem.

Stock exhaust, low to moderate noise levels, not too loud at all. Long trips are a breeze.

3 What year do you drive? 4 Coupe or vert?

1995 coupe LT1 6-speed

Last edited by DGXR; 04-21-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

What is the Decibel Noise Reduction (DNR)of this product ? DO you have before or after the install data ?

Last edited by Goldcylon; 04-21-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:17 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

C4's are louder the C5's
Since it is visible, I expect it to be rather inexpensive.
Its pretty easy to remove the carpet and add dynomat.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:38 PM
TKO Performance

Originally Posted by DGXR
The only time I have any issue is when I talk on the phone in my car, which is very rare. But when I do, it's really hard for me to hear the other person, and the other person always says they can't hear me over the noise. This is strange to me since the driving experience is not particularly noisy. Maybe it's the tone of the noise which is a low rumble almost all the time.

1 You get a lot of tire & road noise? (What state This applies especially to people in certain states like TX, FL, CA, where some roads make the tires roar.

Not particularly, the level of road noise really does depend on the pavement type and condition. Concrete generally tends to be more noisy than asphalt. But grinded/smoothed concrete can sometimes be quieter than asphalt. But there is no question that broken pavement is the worst in these cars, and I have the base FE1 suspension that is pretty soft. I'm running older Goodyear Eagle HP tires that need to be replaced - the rubber is hard, which may be part of the noise problem.

Stock exhaust, low to moderate noise levels, not too loud at all. Long trips are a breeze.

3 What year do you drive? 4 Coupe or vert?

1995 coupe LT1 6-speed
One big problem are the runflats. This is why this product is such a hit with the C5, C6 & C7. However even when people have switched to non run flat tires, again depending on the road surface, it was still loud and the Blockit Mat was needed.

So in your case it sounds like you have a bit of road noise but your not falling into a real "annoying zone".
Thanks

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
What is the Decibel Noise Reduction (DNR)of this product ? DO you have before or after the install data ?
The whole idea for this thread is to see if any C4 owners are experiencing interior noise issues. Certain years within the C4 gen could be worse then others.
Over the years we received a few emails asking for our product for the C4. I wanted to look into it and see if it was a bigger problem first.

However, when the Blockit was originally tested back in 2009 (for the C6) , a Bruel & Kjaer ( #1 in sound and vibration equipment) Model 2250 Type 1 Sound Level Meter was used and it was ran by a trained sound engineer.
It knocked down 8dbs. Even though that's an incredible number, since then we have even improved on the product.

Thanks

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
C4's are louder the C5's
Since it is visible, I expect it to be rather inexpensive.
Its pretty easy to remove the carpet and add dynomat.
Actually if its visible and not hidden, aesthetics come into play which should make any product more expensive. However the system is not expensive.
You might find removing the carpet to be easy, but it still equates to a few hours. Id take a 60 second solution over that any day.
However if you were going to remove parts of the car & the carpet, I would use DeadMat over Dynomat anyway.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

Last edited by TKO Performance; 04-22-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 622 Likes on 499 Posts

1. Not really. I have Nitto nt555 on my car. It isn't Benz quiet, but not bad for an old sports car. Dallas, Tx.

2. Aftermarket exhaust, chambered straight pipes.

3. 93 Z07, automatic

4. Coupe
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

One big large problem are the runflats. This is why this product is such a hit with the C5, C6 & C7. However even when people have switched to non run flat tires, again depending on the road surface, it was still loud and the Blockit Mat was needed.

So in your case it sounds like you have a bit of road noise but your not falling into a real "annoying zone".
Thanks

The whole idea for this thread is to see if any C4 owners are experiencing interior noise issues. Certain years within the C4 gen could be worse then others.
Over the years we received a few emails asking for our product for the C4. I wanted to look into it and see if it was a bigger problem first.

However, when the Blockit was originally tested back in 2009 (for the C6) , a Bruel & Kjaer ( #1 in sound and vibration equipment) Model 2250 Type 1 Sound Level Meter was used and it was ran by a trained sound engineer.
It knocked down 8dbs. Even though that's an incredible number, since then we have even improved on the product.

Thanks

Well I'd be willing to test your product and report back. C4s are a noisy generation normally its tire noise due to road surfaces and exhaust. C5-C7s are Cadillac quiet by companion lol. If you need a tester I would be interested and I have a dosimeter to do a before and after test

Actually if its visible and not hidden, aesthetics come into play which should make any product more expensive. However the system is not expensive.
You might find removing the carpet to be easy, but it still equates to a few hours. Id take a 60 second solution over that any day.
However if you were going to remove parts of the car & the carpet, I would use DeadMat over Dynomat anyway.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

Well if your looking for a tester I could run a dosimeter test for you. C4s are a noisy generation normally due to tire noise and/or aftermarket exhaust systems. I can do a data run of before and after freeway runs if you would like. I like the idea of a mat to protect the carpet as well. I run a Corsa exhaust system which is pretty quiet so. It would be a decent test platform. 8dbs is significant if it is even better now I would love to test it. Have you a test mat to experiment with that fits the C4 yet? C5s and C6s are Cadillac quite compared to C4s. GC

Last edited by Goldcylon; 04-21-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:39 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

My opinion is that my fun car should be unrefined. I think there is a large market here for you though.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 PM
TKO Performance

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
1. Not really. I have Nitto nt555 on my car. It isn't Benz quiet, but not bad for an old sports car. Dallas, Tx.

2. Aftermarket exhaust, chambered straight pipes.

3. 93 Z07, automatic

4. Coupe
Interesting. For every 10 Blockits we sell, 7 go to TX because of the roads. They simple make the tires roar. So if your not having any road noise then that should close the book for us on that subject for 93's and any vette which has the same cargo design and same amount of juke/insulation or what ever they used.

Even exhaust seems to be ok.

Great feed back. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Well if your looking for a tester I could run a dosimeter test for you. C4s are a noisy generation normally due to tire noise and/or aftermarket exhaust systems. I can do a data run of before and after freeway runs if you would like. I like the idea of a mat to protect the carpet as well. I run a Corsa exhaust system which is pretty quiet so. It would be a decent test platform. 8dbs is significant if it is even better now I would love to test it. Have you a test mat to experiment with that fits the C4 yet? C5s and C6s are Cadillac quite compared to C4s. GC
Once we zero in on what years seem to have issues then we will create a pre cut mat and test away.
You mention C4's are loud, however based on what I have been seeing its apparent some years are dead quiet. So I'm waiting to hear which years have issues. What year do you have?

But that's what's great about reaching out to other enthusiasts. We are getting some real good feed back.

BTW the C6 & C7 interiors are extremely loud. For instance, on the C6 there is nothing more then a thin piece of sheet metal and cheep thin carpet separating the cargo area and the exhaust Plus those big meaty tires howl like mad. Apparently the C7 is just as bad.

Originally Posted by pologreen1
My opinion is that my fun car should be unrefined. I think there is a large market here for you though.
Understood. However what we are looking to take care of is annoying interior noise not the purr of a good sounding exhaust.
We created this product because for the other gens, it can get so loud, you can't have a conversation with the person next to you.

The Blockit helps take a bite out of unwanted sounds while letting your sweet exhaust note come through..

Thanks

Last edited by TKO Performance; 04-21-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:43 AM
redlines
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make it they will sell if there not to expensive

Last edited by redlines; 04-22-2016 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 AM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Im sorry, did you say road noise? I cant hear you over my interior/targa squeaking.

Last edited by trilkb; 04-22-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 AM
TKO Performance

Originally Posted by trilkb
Im sorry, did you say road noise? I cant hear you over my interior/targa squeaking.
Yea the mats can't really help with that..

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
1 You get a lot of tire & road noise? Not too bad with the continental tires, but it is still there, especially on less maintained roads. I live in the Tampa, FL area

2 Stock or after market exhaust to loud for long trips? The Magnaflow I had wasn't too bad but did drone after a while. The Corsa I have now does not drone at cruising speed but is very loud around town when going through the gears. I already have Frost King foil adhesive under the carpet but not much effect on interior volume.

3 What year do you drive? 1994 LT1 6-speed with the base FE1 suspension.

4 Coupe or vert? Coupe
Sorry buddy, I accidently skipped over your reply.

OK so 94 and your in the warm stage..
You had some drone with the magnaflows which I find to be common. But you changed to Corsa which is quieter which is also common.
But you have some tire noise. FL is another state where we sell big to. So I understand the road/tire noise being an issue.
Sounds like you have issues BUT is it to a point where you would want to do something about it?

That's what I'm looking to zero in on. The other gens was a no brainer.
I'm not sure about the C4 gen

Last edited by TKO Performance; 04-22-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 622 Likes on 499 Posts

Yes the roads suck here. My exhaust does not drone, seriously. To be honest, I either have the stereo loud or the roof off. I'm 21, and road noise doesn't bother me. Unless it's wind noise because the top flew off

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 04-22-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:54 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Yea the mats can't really help with that..

Sorry buddy, I accidently skipped over your reply.

OK so 94 and your in the warm stage..
You had some drone with the magnaflows which I find to be common. But you changed to Corsa which is quieter which is also common.
But you have some tire noise. FL is another state where we sell big to. So I understand the road/tire noise being an issue.
Sounds like you have issues BUT is it to a point where you would want to do something about it?

That's what I'm looking to zero in on. The other gens was a no brainer.
I'm not sure about the C4 gen

Hey no worries!

With regards to the, "Blockit Sound Deadener," it looks like a solid product and searching around on the forum also shows positive reviews. My interior noise isn't objectionable by any means especially for a 22 year old sports car. However, if you offered this product at an appropriate price level I would be a customer. My rear cargo carpet could use replacing and I could also benefit from some more sound deadening-essentially killing two birds with one stone. If you price it at $215 like you have for the C7 I don't think you will attract a profitable amount of customers in the C4 Market. Most of the cars in the C4 gen are $4,000-$8,000 cars, so the market domestics would be working against you as most of the owners would rather spend the $200+ on other performance upgrades or repairs. C6+ Owners are generally older and have more disposable income for little add-ons like floor mats and sound suppression. I believe our cargo floor space is a little smaller than C5+ generations, so if you could place this product in the $125-$150 range while still maintaining a decent profit margin I think you would have a hit. There are still quite a few members that are die hard C4, and even though they have other gens they will always keep their C4, this is the niche you would have to go after.

Patrick
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM
TKO Performance

Hey no worries!

With regards to the, "Blockit Sound Deadener," it looks like a solid product and searching around on the forum also shows positive reviews. My interior noise isn't objectionable by any means especially for a 22 year old sports car. However, if you offered this product at an appropriate price level I would be a customer. My rear cargo carpet could use replacing and I could also benefit from some more sound deadening-essentially killing two birds with one stone. If you price it at $215 like you have for the C7 I don't think you will attract a profitable amount of customers in the C4 Market. Most of the cars in the C4 gen are $4,000-$8,000 cars, so the market domestics would be working against you as most of the owners would rather spend the $200+ on other performance upgrades or repairs. C6+ Owners are generally older and have more disposable income for little add-ons like floor mats and sound suppression. I believe our cargo floor space is a little smaller than C5+ generations, so if you could place this product in the $125-$150 range while still maintaining a decent profit margin I think you would have a hit. There are still quite a few members that are die hard C4, and even though they have other gens they will always keep their C4, this is the niche you would have to go after.

Patrick
Yes there are a ton of positive posts and threads about the product (which is why we filed for a patent) . Like I mentioned someone reached out to us with a "Hey what about the C4's?" kind of question... So I thought I would look into it. What better way then to reach out and speak directly with C4 enthusiasts.

As far as cost,...
I have not measured the cargo areas yet nor have I looked to see if the car would need 3 pieces or just the one cargo mat. I need to add "If you do experience unwanted road noise is it coming from the rear?"
Again this was the first step of many, to see if there was even a noise problem in the first place.
The size and the amount of pieces would impact the price.
But I can't base the cost of the product on how much a car is worth. Unfortunately the 3 piece Blockit system between the materials and the unique infusion process (so there is no glue), is not cheap. Its manufactured here in the USA and even the raw materials are also from here. Yes it cost a little more but I would not have it any other way.

I totally understand where you are coming from regarding putting $215 into something else rather then a sound deadening mat. But what good is a new or better upgrade when you can't enjoy the ride. nothing ruins and creates fatigue faster then unwanted noise in the cockpit.
If your not considering it then its very possible its not that bad for you which is a good thing.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Yes there are a ton of positive posts and threads about the product (which is why we filed for a patent) . Like I mentioned someone reached out to us with a "Hey what about the C4's?" kind of question... So I thought I would look into it. What better way then to reach out and speak directly with C4 enthusiasts.

As far as cost,...
I have not measured the cargo areas yet nor have I looked to see if the car would need 3 pieces or just the one cargo mat. I need to add "If you do experience unwanted road noise is it coming from the rear?"
Again this was the first step of many, to see if there was even a noise problem in the first place.
The size and the amount of pieces would impact the price.
But I can't base the cost of the product on how much a car is worth. Unfortunately the 3 piece Blockit system between the materials and the unique infusion process (so there is no glue), is not cheap. Its manufactured here in the USA and even the raw materials are also from here. Yes it cost a little more but I would not have it any other way.

I totally understand where you are coming from regarding putting $215 into something else rather then a sound deadening mat. But what good is a new or better upgrade when you can't enjoy the ride. nothing ruins and creates fatigue faster then unwanted noise in the cockpit.
If your not considering it then its very possible its not that bad for you which is a good thing.

I absolutely agree. However I wasn't hoping you could price the product based on how much the car is worth, I was simply pointing out the fact that it is easier to sell a $215 sound suppression mat to someone who has the disposable income to go out and buy a $55,000 C7 vs. someone who can only afford to buy a C4 and keep up with repairs/small upgrades. The people that choose to own a C4 regardless of what it costs would be your true target market, and ideally, price wouldn't be an issue. Just trying to paint a picture of what the C4 market is actually like. Whether that is interpreted as good or bad is up to the reader. If this product does what it says it can do in the description, than I think it has a place in the C4 Market. Yes these cars are noisy (the rear hatch area especially), they are less refined than later generations. If you could offer a 3 piece kit that is as simple as laying it down in place what is not to love? Dynomat or Dynomat equivalents are great but it does require a lot of work. This is just my $.02 and trying to give honest market research to you. I think we all appreciate anyone who still supports or is considering to support the C4.

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy Interior?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 PM
TKO Performance

I absolutely agree. However I wasn't hoping you could price the product based on how much the car is worth, I was simply pointing out the fact that it is easier to sell a $215 sound suppression mat to someone who has the disposable income to go out and buy a $55,000 C7 vs. someone who can only afford to buy a C4 and keep up with repairs/small upgrades. The people that choose to own a C4 regardless of what it costs would be your true target market, and ideally, price wouldn't be an issue. Just trying to paint a picture of what the C4 market is actually like. Whether that is interpreted as good or bad is up to the reader. If this product does what it says it can do in the description, than I think it has a place in the C4 Market. Yes these cars are noisy (the rear hatch area especially), they are less refined than later generations. If you could offer a 3 piece kit that is as simple as laying it down in place what is not to love? Dynomat or Dynomat equivalents are great but it does require a lot of work. This is just my $.02 and trying to give honest market research to you. I think we all appreciate anyone who still supports or is considering to support the C4.
I have a C7...what is this disposable income you speak of
I understand what your saying and I truly appreciate your help & feed back
Once I get a better gauge I'll venture out and start testing & measuring.
Now that the weather is finally nice here I can also reach out to some C4 owners here, friends, clubs..etc
As mentioned if it is smaller then the other gens it will help out with the price.
Yes it would be the same as the other kits, simply drop them in.
Whats cool is if you decide to track the car and they feel weight might be an issue, .. take it out. Then put it back in for the return trip
Old 04-22-2016, 02:33 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

I would be interested in purchasing this. Make it!
BV85 (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 02:42 PM
TKO Performance

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
I would be interested in purchasing this. Make it!
2 things..

First, what type of noise are you experiencing?

Second, your in Babylon. I'm in West Babylon (Columbus ave) If you have time, maybe swing by and we can check it out. I can toss something in and see how it does. The cut won't be perfect but we can get and idea. Contact me first to make sure I'm in.

Last edited by TKO Performance; 04-22-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Noisy Interior?