C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lucas fuel tratment

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 PM
JD Junior
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas fuel tratment

Hello everyone, was wondering if any of you had any experience with lucas fuel treatment & if you would recommend it in a brand new engine (1500 mile)? Engine is not stock it is a crate 350 with some mild upgrades & is of course fuel injected. Just would like some feedback from any who have used or have any info. Thank you very much!! JD
Old 04-21-2016, 10:27 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I have used it with great success but would see no need for it in your case.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:41 PM
JD Junior
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it is for engines with more miles on them ? Thanks for response!!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

In new or old engines, most fuel "treatments" are useless. Use a top tier gasoline and you'll probably never have any problems.

Top tier gasoline -
http://www.toptiergas.com/

Old 04-22-2016, 01:25 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Snake oils, whiffle dust, mouse milk and this are all about the same. Separate the chump from his money. In my area, my injectors get dirty just like any other area from fuel. I just have them professionally cleaned and tested every 3 years. Dumping these potions and lotions may clean it or may not. Sending it out will and testing is done.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:15 AM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree, but dont see the need for every 3 years. Id say if you start experiencing problems then send them out. Id rather put my money into a quality fuel filter then mess around with fuel system cleaner. I guess if I had to do something Id run berrymans B12 chemtool in a tank of gas, Ive had good luck with it in carbureted motorcycles and ive cleaned parts with it and its pretty potent stuff.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:08 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't know about their fuel treatment but their oil stop leak stopped a bad leak in my 89 a year and a half ago and it's still not leaking a drop.

RH
Old 04-22-2016, 09:27 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

These cleaners just flush all the crap to the filter or beyond to gather at the injectors own filter baskets..

Here is a graph of my own 150k mile Rochester injectors off my '87 when I sent them off for a refurb. New filters and seals fitted..

In the lower image, 1 and 5 good, ..others bad!
Attached Images   

Last edited by exitwound; 04-22-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:36 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by trilkb
I agree, but dont see the need for every 3 years. Id say if you start experiencing problems then send them out. Id rather put my money into a quality fuel filter then mess around with fuel system cleaner. I guess if I had to do something Id run berrymans B12 chemtool in a tank of gas, Ive had good luck with it in carbureted motorcycles and ive cleaned parts with it and its pretty potent stuff.
Thing is, the ECM will compensate and these changes occur so gradually, it is hard to experience problems till it is really FUBAR. I had a filter basket that was collapsed and couldn't tell the difference because while it impeded flow a lot, relatively, it was only 1 cylinder and hard to tell. I came upon 3 years because of testing. I have occasional access to a flow bench. I have had diesel injectors that didn't make any difference in the feel give 1 plus mpg gain after they were cleaned and balanced.

I tested them before I send them out several times and about 3 years, there is some difference in the flow. Ideally, you want everything to flow at the same rate. I just sent a set of 6 injectors out from a car I got with 100K. IIRC, there was about a 30cc difference from highest to lowest which came down to a 1 cc difference after cleaning and testing.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by exitwound
These cleaners just flush all the crap to the filter or beyond to gather at the injectors own filter baskets..

Here is a graph of my own 150k mile Rochester injectors off my '87 when I sent them off for a refurb. New filters and seals fitted..

In the lower image, 1 and 5 good, ..others bad!
Not all do. Some just lighten the wallet.

The spray pattern is one thing but your flow rate is also lower WRT the "after" and uneven too.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Junior
Hello everyone, was wondering if any of you had any experience with lucas fuel treatment & if you would recommend it in a brand new engine (1500 mile)? Engine is not stock it is a crate 350 with some mild upgrades & is of course fuel injected. Just would like some feedback from any who have used or have any info. Thank you very much!! JD
Precisely what problem are you trying to "fix" on this new engine?

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
In new or old engines, most fuel "treatments" are useless. Use a top tier gasoline and you'll probably never have any problems.
Originally Posted by aklim
Snake oils, whiffle dust, mouse milk and this are all about the same. Separate the chump from his money.
The additive package in plain old gasoline is BETTER THAN GOOD ENOUGH. <Click the link.

Unless your engine has developed a specific issues that requires extra detergent to repair, then adding these kinds of additives is nothing but a waste of money...or it's fixing a psychological issue; not a mechanical one.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-22-2016 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JD Junior (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 12:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I do use Top Tier gas when possible. About 90% of the time. In about 3 years, I get a loss of 20cc from after.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:28 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Snake oils, whiffle dust, mouse milk and this are all about the same. Separate the chump from his money. In my area, my injectors get dirty just like any other area from fuel. I just have them professionally cleaned and tested every 3 years. Dumping these potions and lotions may clean it or may not. Sending it out will and testing is done.
Get a C5... your tune will change.

I see no need if your fuel injectors are new. Unless you have a C5 and need to clean the contact on the fuel sensor in the tank.

Last edited by 2ooo-C5; 04-22-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
Get a C5... your tune will change.

I see no need if your fuel injectors are new. Unless you have a C5 and need to clean the contact on the fuel sensor in the tank.
Chevron Techron is supposedly the best at getting fuel senders in the gas tank to start working again.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Chevron Techron is supposedly the best at getting fuel senders in the gas tank to start working again.

Yep... but it is one of the snake oils he is referring to.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
However new your injectors are today, they get old and dirty after a while. I have new brake fluid today but in a couple of years, it gets old and dirty and needs to be flushed out.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I don't have a C5 but I have heard those stories for other cars too. Dump it in and maybe it does something, maybe not. If it were my car, I'd pull the sender and check it first and see what the issue is. If it is corroded, probably toss or try clean the metal strip or whatever it is with something abrasive. Years ago, I did do that on another car, can't remember what it was.

Get notified of new replies

To Lucas fuel tratment

Old 04-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I've tried a few brands over many years and the Lucas brand is the only one that actually showed me any improvement. I tried in in my higher mileage 2002 Optima, that I had been using for long distance service calls. I went on two long highway trips about three weeks apart. Before the second trip I put in a can of Lucas fuel system cleaner and I got an amazing 4 mpg better gas mileage on the highway on that multi tank trip. I was even hauling more luggage in the trunk of the second trip too. The can of Lucas was the only thing I did different, so I have to think it actually did something to the fuel system/ injectors.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
I put in a can of Lucas fuel system cleaner and I got an amazing 4 mpg better gas mileage on the highway on that multi tank trip. I was even hauling more luggage in the trunk of the second trip too. The can of Lucas was the only thing I did different, so I have to think it actually did something to the fuel system/ injectors
Seems like a pretty decent test, but those results are pretty incredible. If I got results like that, I might buy a 55 gallon drum of the stuff! I tried some BG cleaner in my commuter because we had some at work, so it was free. My gas mileage went down.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:41 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Klondike
I've tried a few brands over many years and the Lucas brand is the only one that actually showed me any improvement. I tried in in my higher mileage 2002 Optima, that I had been using for long distance service calls. I went on two long highway trips about three weeks apart. Before the second trip I put in a can of Lucas fuel system cleaner and I got an amazing 4 mpg better gas mileage on the highway on that multi tank trip. I was even hauling more luggage in the trunk of the second trip too. The can of Lucas was the only thing I did different, so I have to think it actually did something to the fuel system/ injectors.
Dad filled up at one place and got 5 mpg more. Wind had an effect especially when hauling that 38 foot gooseneck. One could say the only change was the brand of fuel used. Only way to really see is if it can get a consistent reading from then on since the dirty injectors are cleaned or so we assume. Best way is to get a set of injectors with 200K, test it, simulate a run with the proper concentration in a tank of gas and retest. I have checked FIC's work and we get about the same numbers with the bench tester going in and coming out. On my 606 diesel, when we did that, there was a consistent gain of 1 plus mpg instantly when we measured it over a 20K timespan.

Quick Reply: Lucas fuel tratment