Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Garage find $1200 C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:25 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Got lucky today, decided to check the fuses. Although most power stuff surprisingly works fine after 32 years, there were no courtesy lights or radio. Checked and replaced a few fuses, courtesy lights and radio both came on and worked fine. The radio is out of a C5, same as the one in my 97 with CD. The rear speakers are fairly well blown so going to get a new pair, non Bose.

Started looking and checking under the hood. Filter was black so will take care of that. Everything needs cleaning up, including some wiring.

Have to buy some 1" spacers to make the sawblade wheels fit. When I go change those out, will change out rear brake pads and front shocks which came free with the car when I bought it. Brakes aren't terrible, but I think could be better. The Z51 suspension seems tight.

Last edited by ronwc; 05-01-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Are the Firebird wheels 17" too ?

RH
Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Are the Firebird wheels 17" too ?

RH
Yes, the goofy wheels on it now are 17" but they do not fit well at all. The offset is way to far out and the tires are way too narrow. I really like the sawblades.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ronwc; 05-01-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
It was the OP's idea to go push button. I respect his wishes. My Dad's C7 is pushbutton start. Kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcmTzs8pkQ

Safety, schmafety. You're 2,000 times more likely to be hit by a texting driver than a corvette with the NSS disabled.

I think there might even be a dumb blonde joke in there somewhere.

This is the most idiotic and insensitive post I have seen on this forum outside of the off topic board. Let's make fun of people who got their legs crushed because of someone else's idiocy.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 AM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Today went out and removed about 10 wood screws someone had put in the interior and doors, and replaced them with the normal black screws, what the heck they did with the stock screws I have no idea. Makes interior look much better. Kind of getting used to the wood grain overlays in the interior and will probably stay with that for now. Still need to clean/detail interior.

Got the 1" wheel spacers ordered so I can get new wheels on. And am going down to the local auto paint store to get a small can of the Met Gold paint for touchup before I wash and wax car. Also need to order a pair of rear speakers.

So again, things are coming together and still inexpensive so far, about at $1650. The car will never be a show car, but maybe a fun beach car, I live on the gulf coast in FLA.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ronwc; 05-02-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not usually a fan of woodgrain but it seems to go with the tan carpeting and seats.

It'll probably look great cleaned up.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:40 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I think the woodgrain will grow on you, matches the car well. Got a lot better deal then me, mine has many different screws put through it, for example a 3 inch woodscrew put through the back under the hatch to hold the carpet down since it was peeling up in one spot (that 3 inch screw was screwed right into the fiberglass of the car) Gotta love previous owners!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I was trying to figure out what was missing from the right side of the HVAC controls, duh, Florida car no rear defroster.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:45 AM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I was trying to figure out what was missing from the right side of the HVAC controls, duh, Florida car no rear defroster.
The defog/defrost was an option, no switch but the rear glass has the wire grid for it.

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
I think the woodgrain will grow on you, matches the car well. Got a lot better deal then me, mine has many different screws put through it, for example a 3 inch woodscrew put through the back under the hatch to hold the carpet down since it was peeling up in one spot (that 3 inch screw was screwed right into the fiberglass of the car) Gotta love previous owners!
Didn't like the woodgrain at first, but looks good with me now, will look better when all detailed.

Went ahead and ordered all the parts I am going to need to finish up this project. As mentioned earlier, the car will not be perfect, but be a fun driver. I ordered the 1" wheel spacers so I can put on the sawblades. got two new speakers for rear, special ordered the met gold touch up paint, 3 piece floor mats, new air filter. All total I am at about $1750 with everything.

Although the AC looks to have been rebuilt, I have not checked it out, may need a shot of Freon. Also going to need two used tires. Mufflers are a little loud, but will go with it for now. So far, so good, Will get more pics as I go.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
This is the most idiotic and insensitive post I have seen on this forum outside of the off topic board. Let's make fun of people who got their legs crushed because of someone else's idiocy.
Oh dear. I'm so sorry you've never been exposed to sarcasm.

Out of respect for your sensitive nature, I have started a fund for everyone who has ever been hurt by someone else.

On the other hand, go screw yourself.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
You did well, Branden. This was an exceptional find.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Bendeco
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Oh dear. I'm so sorry you've never been exposed to sarcasm.

Out of respect for your sensitive nature, I have started a fund for everyone who has ever been hurt by someone else.

On the other hand, go screw yourself.
Wooooooooh.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:25 AM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

All the final parts were ordered earlier this week and should be coming in by Friday. Floor mats, 1" wheel offsets, speakers, air filter, interior lights and a few other small things. Had to have the touch up paint custom made locally (metallic gold) and will be cleaning up/detailing/waxing paint in the next day or two, haven't even washed it yet..

One of the main things that I think is going to make a big difference are the hubcentric wheel spacers which will let me use the much larger sawblade wheels/tires. The wheels/tires on it now are kind of ugly and way too small - 215x55x16. From the outside they look ok since they are offset way out, but when you look underneath you can really see how narrow the tires are (see pic). The tires are actually still good so hoping to sell the set for maybe $200 to some ricer.

The sawblade type are much larger 275x40x17 but will need the 1" offset to make them fit. Two of the tires have some thread left, two you can see the air in, so will be replacing those two for now.

I haven't driven the car much but enough to tell it runs and drives ok, I'm sure some new gas will help. It does have a fairly bad oil leak from the valve covers that I will have to deal with sooner or later, and I need to check back brake pads when I have wheel off. Other than that, everything is looking good for right now. I am probably going to keep the car for a while but also have a C5 (see pic) and an Explorer so not sure I want to pay for all three in the long run. This is my eighth Corvette (78 PC, 84, 89, 98 conv, 89 conv, 98, 97 and 84) - I have always told people that it is the most car you can buy for the money.
Attached Images        

Last edited by ronwc; 05-04-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Curious how you're going to get 16" tires on 17" rims? Hence my earlier question because I seem to remember all those Firebird honeycombers were 16".

But if anybody can do it, it will be you !!

RH

Last edited by shootnstarz; 05-05-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:08 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Curious how you're going to get 16" tires on 17" rims? Hence my earlier question because I seem to remember all those Firebird honeycombers were 16".

But if anybody can do it, it will be you !!

RH
I'm not going to be using any of the 16" tires or rims, everything will be the 17" sawblade wheels with at least two new 17" tires for now.

I'm hoping to get a lot of work done on the car in the next few days since all the parts are coming in, and a windy front passing thru so can't fly my RC planes.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

William Piper is rolling over in his grave !!!

RH
Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Got everything together to finish car up, could probably have in done with 2 days work, but will probably take me till the end of the week. On my list - get new speakers in, fix hatch release, new air filter, add techron with new gas, have rebuilt top coming, get new wheels and tires on, check rear brakes, install new front shocks, finish cleaning up wiring, touch up paint/wax.

Will change oil and check out engine closer once everything is up and going but before driving much. Going down to get it registered/insured tomorrow to make it legal to drive. Need to check and fix valve cover leaks, and check AC which looks rebuilt already. Also want to check and probably bump up timing somewhat, seemed a little sluggish when I first "test" drove it.

This has not been a bad project so far, car will never be perfect or a show car, but should look good and be a good driver. Right now I have about $1900 invested in everything, not too bad. Will get more pics when I get it finished up and driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage find $1200 C4

Old 05-10-2016, 04:18 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Got a lot done today on my 84 project and finally got to "test" drive it for a while. I had most of the parts I needed to finish laying around, just needed to get moving. I went down to register it yesterday and got an antique FL tag (30 year), which was very cheap at $28.

Put in the rear speakers and new floor mats, installed new air filter, added some fresh 93 gas with a bottle of Techron and most importantly got the new wheels and tires on which made a huge difference in driving and looks (see pics). These sawblades are some of my favorites. And that Metallic Gold has really grown on me. Checked brakes and shocks when I had wheels off and they all looked good.

The ride and handling, especially with the Z51, was very good. The overall power was not overwhelming to say the least, but wasn't expecting much from the 205 HP. I did get on it and blew it out a few times.

I should be getting the new top in this week (corvettetops.com), and still need to touch up paint and wax. There are also a few little things that need to be done and or looked at such as valve cover leaks, but as of now it is legal and drivable. Still haven't decided if I'm going to sell or keep it since I already have a C5, but no rush either way. So far I have just shy of $2000 in it.
Attached Images     

Last edited by ronwc; 05-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:26 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Looking better all the time.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:11 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Looks amazing, love watching the progress on this car!

Quick Reply: Garage find $1200 C4