Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

First used Corvette. No clue where to start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Snappo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First used Corvette. No clue where to start!

This is my 7th Corvette, but the first time I bought a used one. I had a new C4 in 88, new C5's in 98, 01, 03, a Z06 in 04, and my last one was in 08. So here I am in 2016, and a friend sold me an 84 C4 for $1,500. A gear is slipping and the dash seems to shut off at annoying times, but I figured $1.5K is $1.5K and how can I pass it up?

Where do I start? Where do I check the frame to see if I have a good starter project car? The engine has 225,000 miles on it - where do I get a reasonably priced crate motor from? Tranny slips in 3rd gear - who sells a decent transmission (I didn't see one on B&M for 84). Do people keep stock dashes, or are there new replacement dashes? Do I need to replace the electronics?

Anyone that has done a restoration of an old Corvette - if you could point a total newbie in the right direction I would appreciate it!

I look at the car and just feel overwhelmed. So much to do and no idea where the beginning of the trek is.

Last edited by Snappo; 04-28-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Start somewhere, it all has to get done eventually, take a look at my thread "1800 dollar corvette build" might make you feel good about your purchase! Haha, stay determined, don't dump a ton of money into the car (Brand new engine and transmission) Dash can be sent to Bryan at Batee.com he did mine, amazing guy to work with. Why do you need a new crate motor? what's wrong with the current one besides high miles? Get the car on the road and drive it and slowly work on it, will definately keep you motivated, I haven't driven my car since purchase in october, because of the dry rotted tires, we want to see pictures as well! If you're not in love with the car don't waste the money, also another really good thread is DMITTZ thread on his car, amazing attention to detail.

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 04-28-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

welcome to the forum.. the c-4 side of it. First thing is to make sure it will go and whoa. Then dependability.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Have purchased several TCI transmissions & recommend them. They have several builds dependent on HP + they ship in a nice hard shell case that makes a good dog house.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/transmissionshtml
The following users liked this post:
jay1055 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with ghost, make sure it goes and stops first. Then in Florida the next most important thing is the A/C but you may be able to live without it.

Congrats on the addition, pretty much any information you'll need is right here.

Rick
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM
84Z51J
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Idk if there's a way to inspect the frame as a whole and declare it "good," but with the age and miles, you may want to consider fresh bushings throughout the suspension. The throttle plate shafts may need to be reamed for adding bushings, if loose. If the radiator is original, the plastic end tanks tend to crack. Bearings, seals, ball joints and u-joints may be failing, so listen for any odd noises & look for drips and fluids where they shouldn't be.

All plastic will be brittle, so be gentle! Rubber vacuum, fuel, brake, and coolant hoses may all be near the end of their lifespans, so inspect them as closely as possible. Any that look swollen & wet, or dry & cracked need to go. Also check the condition of the spark plugs, and examine the distributor for any corrosion. Mist the plug wires with a spray bottle at night & look for arcing.

Note the condition of all fluids, replacing anything questionable. A full coolant block flush through the knock sensor & drain plug is never a bad idea. I second using Batee.com for your dash troubles, either as a send-off repair or DIY; they provide excellent instructions. Can't help you on a new trans myself but others here have experience with those suppliers. Nothing else coming to mind right now that hasn't already been said, but I'm sure more will chime in with whatever I missed.

Post back with anything that you're unsure of, or any specific problems...and PICS ...and welcome to the C4um!

Last edited by 84Z51J; 04-29-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Dash conversion to analog gauges is an option.

http://vettaid.com/ReplacementGauges...ePackages.aspx
Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

After the "whoa and go" then rent a power washer and degrease the engine and engine compartment (protect the alternator and throttle bodies with foil). Then do a plugs/wires/distributor cap and rotor. Set the timing.
Then flush the brake system, cooling system and refill the power steering with Lucas fluid. Clean out the tank and replace the fuel sock on the pump, blow out the lines and install a new fuel filter. Drain and fill the rear end.
Replace any questionable rubber/plastic hoses - especially brake hoses.
Try www.vette2vette for a guaranteed used transmission or any used parts.
Then prioritize any problems with the car and fix them one at a time.
I actually like the 84-87 wheels when they are cleaned up:

Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Snappo
This is my 7th Corvette, but the first time I bought a used one. I had a new C4 in 88, new C5's in 98, 01, 03, a Z06 in 04, and my last one was in 08. So here I am in 2016, and a friend sold me an 84 C4 for $1,500. A gear is slipping and the dash seems to shut off at annoying times, but I figured $1.5K is $1.5K and how can I pass it up?

Where do I start? Where do I check the frame to see if I have a good starter project car? The engine has 225,000 miles on it - where do I get a reasonably priced crate motor from? Tranny slips in 3rd gear - who sells a decent transmission (I didn't see one on B&M for 84). Do people keep stock dashes, or are there new replacement dashes? Do I need to replace the electronics?

Anyone that has done a restoration of an old Corvette - if you could point a total newbie in the right direction I would appreciate it!

I look at the car and just feel overwhelmed. So much to do and no idea where the beginning of the trek is.
Seeing that you have bought new for so long do you wrench on your own cars? (No offense intended) I knew price drew you in but a drivetrain replacement is no small feat. You buy a crate engine/transmission and that $1,500 Vette just became a $5,000+ Vette easy. You will deff put more into the car than its worth; plus hopefully the interior is in good shape. Usually the cheap C4's are a good deal but they are in need of parts and those parts aren't cheap. To be honest it sounds like you are over you head. (Based on the fact you have no idea what to do) Just something to think about. It's great that you want to bring it back to life though! I applaud you for that sir. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

OP, good on you for taking the plunge! Everyone is a noob at one time, it's just some of us started at 14 or earlier to turn wrenches on cars. Plenty of mistakes were made, mostly by going too fast or not knowing exactly what we were doing. So my advice is take your time and search this forum, study other's projects and problems and their efforts and solutions. You CAN DO IT!!!

I suggest you read brandensbeast's entire thread. He's doing a great job and should inspire you to start your effort.

Also take ghoastrider1's suggestion to heart and start with the run, drive and stop stuff first. I understand that your trans is slipping so a rebuild at a minimum is in order. Ask around with friends or at a car show for a reputable trans shop and get an estimate on a complete rebuild, then compare to a new trans like TCI. You'll then know which way you want to go on the trans.

Go to batee's site like branden suggested and study up on your dash and see if you want to DIY it. Many have fixed theirs on their own, but a professional rebuild on these 'atari' dashes is not a bad option either.

Once you start seeing some progress it will feel better. When you hit a rough spot, just walk away for awhile and give it a rest. You'll get motivated again soon enough.

When you have a specific problem/question just ask, many here will help. Now get going and rock on.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Hey we need pix!
Old 04-30-2016, 01:59 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

On the dash rebuild... I have wrenched on cars since 1964, I was 14. I can rebuild most anything that makes the car go or stop. NOW, about that dash. I bought a $300 dash rebuild kit for my 86. Bought the tools I need for that job. When I reinstalled the dash, I got squat! Somewhere, or maybe two or three somewheres I screwed up. I ended up sending the entire unit to Baate for him to repairs my screw ups. He did a great Job. For the first time since I have owned the car, everything works.
About that tranny. They are prone to have a front pump seal leak. Pulling the tranny is a PIA. Not hard, just a pain. Have fun, enjoy the drive, who cares if the parts are worth more than the car.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 04-30-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:54 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Snappo

if it was me and i had a 1500$ donar car with good paint and interior, id be doing an lq9 swap in it.

Get notified of new replies

To First used Corvette. No clue where to start!

Quick Reply: First used Corvette. No clue where to start!