Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Which year C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

The C-4 is the most difficult of all corvettes to get in and out of. If your big and fat, real old, taller than a skyscraper, or have a bad hip ( I fit all the above except tall), then you need to try and get in and out of one first. Folks smile when they see me get in or out, that's ok, once I am seated, I am in auto heaven.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
The C-4 is the most difficult of all corvettes to get in and out of. If your big and fat, real old, taller than a skyscraper, or have a bad hip ( I fit all the above except tall), then you need to try and get in and out of one first. Folks smile when they see me get in or out, that's ok, once I am seated, I am in auto heaven.
Getting in and out was one of my main concerns with buying another Vette. I'm almost 64 but have the knees of someone 84. I was pleasantly surprised that is is not as bad as I thought. I will add that over the last few years I have lost 100 pounds. When I weighed 300 pounds, I'm certain it would be a different story.

DinoBob, there is a back story to my deal. I did not buy the car directly from the previous owner. She is a '60 year old lady that did not want the hassle of selling the car and opted to sell it to Carmax.

Carmax offered her $4000 and she took it. Carmax would take the car to auction as they do not put cars that old on the lot.

My son is a Carmax service consultant. One of his benefits is he can buy cars going to auction for cost + $300.....hence I was able to purchase the car for $4300.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:24 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

you nailed it

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
Wow that's an awesome '84 looks really nice
Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Wow that's an awesome '84 looks really nice
Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
you nailed it
Thanks.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I have a C4 and a C5. My wife hates getting in and out of the C4. Her two hip replacements makes it real difficult. She says she has an easier time getting in and out with the roof off. She's a shrimp at 115lbs.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM
kostas86
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I think most of us here have been in same position when looking for which C4 to buy. I chose a fully loaded 1990 steel blue over dark grey interior convertible with 6 speed, fx3 ride control, sport seats, etc. I was torn between a '95 and the '90. For me, it came down to the slightly sharper lines of the '90 while still keeping the later interior. I also think the L98 with 6 speed offers so much usable low end torque when driving around.
Good luck on your search!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:07 PM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm partial to the 1991 model, there aren't many like it but this one is mine

I LOVE THAT COLOR ! THE VERT. HARDTOP REALLY MAKES THE CAR LOOK SLEEK .
Old 05-04-2016, 02:11 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95tealconvert
I LOVE THAT COLOR ! THE VERT. HARDTOP REALLY MAKES THE CAR LOOK SLEEK .
In my neck of the woods you rarely see one with the hardtop. I like that look.

You also have a pretty nice garage....I would love to have that much room.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Corvettekid916
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Pretty much seems like the best route is take your time and find the best overall car and hope its a newer C4 haha!

I have found a couple in my area I was curious what you guys think....

I like this one, but wonder about the FX3 Selective Ride...? Seems expensive to fix if it breaks..

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5506284583.html

Also, this one seems like a good deal, great condition. Thoughts?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5552429376.html
Old 05-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Corvettekid916
7th Gear

[QUOTE=bow tie guy;1592164648]
Originally Posted by Corvettekid916
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Pretty much seems like the best route is take your time and find the best overall car and hope its a newer C4 haha!

1990 has the better dash and double din sized radio
you do want a double din right?

Both cars look great, that said '91 '95 '96 are my preference
Whats the advantage of the double din? Better for an aftermarket head unit with nav?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:14 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a look under the bra on that '90 to check the paint. Just depends on how many years it's been on there with sun exposure.

I like this one, but wonder about the FX3 Selective Ride...? Seems expensive to fix if it breaks..

Old 05-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Stephen Vogel
Intermediate

Just about everything is expensive to fix if it breaks so if the selective ride is working now and you see it as a beneficial feature then enjoy it but be prepared if it goes bang.
As already mentioned, check under that protector on the blue one. Is it protecting paint or hiding something? Either way if it's been on there for a while the paint under it may not have "faded" at the same rate as the exposed paint.
Also, take someone with you who will be completely objective, even a bit picky / negative. It's easy to overlook or compromise on things when you really want a car. Someone to keep the enthusiasm in check can be really valuable
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

[QUOTE=Corvettekid916;1592164696]

Whats the advantage of the double din? Better for an aftermarket head unit with nav?
You can easily put a double din in any c4 model. My 87 had a double din stereo in it.

The advantage of having a double din is huge.

1. Navigation

2. Backup camera screen

3. Easier to control attached devices, (phone, usb, ipod, you name it)

4. Easier at a glance to see whats going on as things are not abbreviated to fit some tiny aftermarket screen.

5. If you go with an android based unit you have all the apps out there at you fingertips. Giving you things like :

5a. Track timer

5b. Track map with timings.

5c. OBD diagnostics with Bluetooth module (takes moding on the vettes but is plug and play on other cars)

5d. Live weather radar and maps.

6. Watch movies in the car when waiting on things (love this feature)

7. Surf the net when waiting on people.

8. Check email and respond.

9. Hands free Bluetooth built in all on all the double dins Ive bought.

Like I said the list just goes on and on.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:03 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Also as to which C4 is best? I wrote this awhile back on my site here :

http://crowz.narmir.com/vehicles/198...ch-c4-is-best/

But this is how I felt about it....

Which C4 is best?

I run into this question all the time.

Every time someone around where I live asks me which C4 to get I tell them the same thing.

“The one YOU like.”

To me each year has something to offer and they are amazingly unique when you take the time to actually drive each one and get to know them.

I’m an early generation snob which I will fully admit. I like the earlier models all REAL digital display dash with real information. But again that’s just me. Some love needle gauges and there is nothing wrong with that. Its what floats YOUR boat that matters. Not mine.

Convertible vs coupe depends on the person and how they plan to use the car. Daily driver or if you need to take a good bit of luggage go with the coupe hands down.

If its a weekend toy like my current 87 convertible is then get a convertible hands down. The convertible is so much easier to get the open air effect with. The targa top is a royal squeak and rattle infested pain in the butt. That said it does make the car more rigid if you autocross it.

The wife and I went on our anniversary in the convertible last year and packing it for the trip was a royal pain and quite challenging. Where as we once bought a full size window air conditioner and brought it home along with groceries in the 86 coupe I had then.

Transmission wise the 4+3 catches grief but I never had any issues with it in my 86 coupe and once you pass someone just by pressing down on the gas pedal and the feeling the car downshift ON ITS OWN without you touching the shifter or the clutch pedal your hooked.

Unlike most car lines there is no bad C4. There isn’t a lemon year.

Main thing is try out as many different years as you can. Don’t let any persons opinion as to what year is best cloud your judgment. After all we’re not the ones that have to drive it, you are.

Quick Reply: Which year C4