C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 has VATS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1984 has VATS?

This is my first post to the Forum. I picked up a 1984 Corvette as a salvage vehicle and it needs a good bit of work as you can imagine. I was told the engine did run, three years ago. Question is, I had a key cut for it that has no resistor. I thought the 1984 did not have a security system but, I now have a security light flashing n the dash since I put a battery it in it. Is this the case? 1984 had VATS? Thanks..
Old 05-01-2016, 07:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPoop55
This is my first post to the Forum. I picked up a 1984 Corvette as a salvage vehicle and it needs a good bit of work as you can imagine. I was told the engine did run, three years ago. Question is, I had a key cut for it that has no resistor. I thought the 1984 did not have a security system but, I now have a security light flashing n the dash since I put a battery it in it. Is this the case? 1984 had VATS? Thanks..
NO VATS but it does hare a THEFT DETERRENT system You may be able to rotate the key in the door cylinder to turn off the SECURITY. You'll need to do some reads of service information to understand how certain options/systems work. Were you fortunate enough to get an owners manual with it?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-01-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:18 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Is this the case? 1984 had VATS? Thanks..
VATs was introduced in the 1986 model year. Keep us posted on your progress!

B17Crew
Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
NO VATS but it does hare a THEFT DETERRENT system You may be able to rotate the key in the door cylinder to turn off the SECURITY. You'll need to do some reads of service information to understand how certain options/systems work. Were you fortunate enough to get an owners manual with it?
No service manual. I'll search the forum to see if I can find one. I am excited about getting this corvette back on the road. I installed a new battery and it will crank. It has been sitting for three years. Not sure If I should give it a shot of ether to see if it will fire up. Debating on whether to remove the gas tank to clean it, purge fuel lines, rails, etc.

Or, do I add a couple gallons of fuel and find out what happens? Suggestions?

Once I cure the Security issue, of course.

Thanks for the responses..
Old 05-02-2016, 01:45 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Online sevice manual= www.alldata.com The real gm fsm on line and you can print pages from it.$25 a year for the 1st vehicle. I have found the wiring diagrams to be accurate.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:03 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Debating on whether to remove the gas tank to clean it, purge fuel lines, rails, etc.
Don't remove the fuel tank. It's not necessary and a lot of work. Remove the fuel level sender. This will leave a very large hole that will allow you to get into the tank and clean it. Don't be surprised if the fuel level sender is a lump of rust...
Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

My understanding from my owner's manual is that the starter is disabled when the security system is breached. To be sure, lock the doors from the inside. When both doors are closed, the system is activated. Unlocking either door with the key should deactivate the system.

If the engine is cranking, I suspect the issue is not the security system.

Now it is just some old fashioned trouble shooting. The problem is either in the fuel system or the electrical system. First step is to narrow down which system is failing.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by odxr
Online sevice manual= www.alldata.com The real gm fsm on line and you can print pages from it.$25 a year for the 1st vehicle. I have found the wiring diagrams to be accurate.
Thanks for the info on the manual. I'll go sign up to the service.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:30 AM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Don't remove the fuel tank. It's not necessary and a lot of work. Remove the fuel level sender. This will leave a very large hole that will allow you to get into the tank and clean it. Don't be surprised if the fuel level sender is a lump of rust...
Thanks for the advice here. The carpet is pretty bad as I think it got wet once or twice. Once I pull everything out, I'll do what you have suggested.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 AM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by divotdug
My understanding from my owner's manual is that the starter is disabled when the security system is breached. To be sure, lock the doors from the inside. When both doors are closed, the system is activated. Unlocking either door with the key should deactivate the system.

If the engine is cranking, I suspect the issue is not the security system.

Now it is just some old fashioned trouble shooting. The problem is either in the fuel system or the electrical system. First step is to narrow down which system is failing.
I probably have an electrical or fuel problem as you have stated. I can sit in the car with the doors closed, turn the key and the engine cranks. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

give it some fuel and try to start . then you can clean the tank,new fuel filter ++++
Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Corvett...pXAufU&vxp=mtr
Old 05-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I installed a new battery and it will crank. It has been sitting for three years. Not sure If I should give it a shot of ether to see if it will fire up.
'84's have a really neat feature! It's easy to see if you're getting fuel pressure, and the fuel injectors are working. Remove the air cleaner and watch the fuel injectors while you're cranking the engine. You should see a nice, even spray pattern from both of the injectors. If you have a good spray pattern, you don't need the ether starting fluid! If the injectors are working, check for spark!

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 has VATS?

Quick Reply: 1984 has VATS?