C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rubber Replacement Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Rubber Replacement Advice

I am looking to replace some of the rubber gaskets on my 95 C4 Coupe. I want to replace the:

Rear Targa Seal
Front Bow
Both Door Weather Strip.

Where is the best place to purchase these parts. I want the best, but I've noticed searching, the prices are all over the spectrum.

What was your experience and where should I buy these parts??

Also, my drivers door outside window sweep is split in a couple of locations. I does not cause a problem. I asked my son who works in a body shop if he could replace it for Dad :-) He looked at it and said Dad, this is no small job. The original is riveted in and the glass needs to be removed also.

Any experience on the CF replacing the drivers outside window sweep???
Old 05-03-2016, 01:07 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've seen that as well. Replacing the window sweep is not for the timid. Get used to it. While most of the things on our beloved C4 are not too bad some are very challenging. I have the same situation on my 95 and I'm pretty determined to keep the door dry and tackle the window issue along with some other issues that involve dismantling the door. Wait til you see what replacing the heater core involves.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

The sweeps can be replaced without removing the window. I did mine that way several years back. Just make sure you get the correct size rivets.
As far as weatherstripping. I'm on my third A pillar piece and second complete set around my windows and the rear bow for the convertible. The set I just installed last week was CRC brand from Wilcox. Awesome stuff. Very nice, supple, molded properly and I'm finally able to keep my car dry inside.
The other stuff I tried was from a vendor here on the forum ( honestly , it was so long ago I don't remember which vendor) and a second A pillar piece from eBay. If you watch the forum, Wilcox has weekend sales all the time, you can sometimes get a good percentage off if you can wait for it.
The following users liked this post:
tmirisola (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM
RIPS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Addressing your question regarding the replacing of the window sweep, that was about the first thing I did when I got my car. I'm just an average DIY guy with average ability and I didn't find it hard at all. Maybe I was too ignorant to know any better, but I'm sure if you have a drill and a pop rivet tool you can do it. I had no need to remove the glass...just lowered the window. I did the inner and outer sweeps. There are great write ups with pictures somewhere on here that I referred to if I remember correctly. You can do it!
The following users liked this post:
tmirisola (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Big Bird 88
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I did on mine was replace a damaged driver side window sweep. I am not a mechanical person. It was a simple job. I was nervous about the glass too. Just remember to be careful, I think there was like 6 clips and 3 rivets.

I put the window down
Took off the door panel
Drilled the 3 rivets and removed remains (carefully)
remove the old strip. This is where you will be working closest to the glass.
Carefully line up new strip, I found installing front to back was easiest. Line up each clip with the corresponding hole in the door frame.
Put the 3 rivets in, be sure to get the correct size and LENGTH. The rivets were $4 and the pop riveter was $14 at lowes.

Put the door panel back on.

You are done.

There is a video on YouTube that deals with this and also step by step pics somewhere.

Here it is.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...l-replacement/

I was very cautious and it took me 2 hrs. I know this because the podcast I was listening to ended at the same time.

Good luck !

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber Replacement Advice

Quick Reply: Rubber Replacement Advice