C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Power Antenna wiring color code

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:43 AM
billybalut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C4 Power Antenna wiring color code

bought a brand new in the box AC delco replacement power antenna for my 1991 coupe (ebay). the unit is almost a duplicate of my old one, same mounting, same ground straps etc. Only one problem; my old unit has green, white and grey wires and the replacement has Black, pink and orange wires and a different conector. I tested it with a jumper box and it goes up and down but unable to figure out which wires are compatible with the new new unit. I believe the replacement is maybe a later model and i have been unable to get it to properly work having tried various combinations. Its getting power from the relay from the green wire and when I turn off the radio there is power in the white wire but it doesn't seem to matter. any help would be most appreciated. Aloha Billy
Old 05-06-2016, 02:44 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Yes, this is a bit confusing with no wiring information on your new antenna. Don't connect 12 v between the Pink and Orange wires!!
The black wire is common to the motor. The Pink and the Orange connect to internal switches, which shut off the motor when the antenna reaches its limits (up or down), but which is which? Here's how to test:
1. Put NEG on the Black, and POS on the Pink. The antenna should go down, unless it's already down. Does the motor continue to try to run? If NOT, go to step #2.
If the motor DOES try to run, go to step #4.

2. Put POS on the Black, and NEG on the Orange. The antenna should go up all the way, and the motor should shut off at the top.
3. Connect to your car wiring: Black goes to your Green. Pink goes to your White. Orange goes to your Grey.

4. Put POS on the Black, and NEG on the Pink. The antenna should go up all the way, and the motor should shut off at the top.
5. Connect to your car wiring: Black goes to your Green. Pink goes to your Grey. Orange goes to your White.

Let me know if this works, please!

The following users liked this post:
billybalut (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

You mentioned "in the box - ACD new" - there should have been a part number on the box/on the part I would have thought.

I'd think it maybe important to ID it before attempts. You modify or whatever then your leverage with the seller might go away.

Later Corvette antenna had an internal relay, your '91 an external relay. Later Corvette white/orange/black - if you paid a ridiculously low price maybe you attempt but if NOT then you maybe just do a return and start FRESH. Have you already cut-off/modified the connector in any way?

Post a link to your eBay buy - maybe there was information in the link by the seller.

Have you actually confirmed that the mast/tube/bezel is configured similarly to even mount to the vehicle? Wiring might not be the only issue.

What was/is the problem with your '91?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-06-2016 at 05:44 AM.
billybalut (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 PM
billybalut
Advanced

thanks to both, couldn't get it working but appreciate the info. I think it has an internal relay and thats the problem as WVZR-1 suggested, because after hooking it up I could hear buzzing from the unit , it did go up only half way and stop just not able to go down with a dose of buzzing! Going to contact the vendor to see if he will swap it for the proper one if not lesson learned. Mahalo
Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by billybalut
thanks to both, couldn't get it working but appreciate the info. I think it has an internal relay and thats the problem as WVZR-1 suggested, because after hooking it up I could hear buzzing from the unit , it did go up only half way and stop just not able to go down with a dose of buzzing! Going to contact the vendor to see if he will swap it for the proper one if not lesson learned. Mahalo
What were you sold? Part # on box or antenna. Link to the eBay offering?

Is it an "exact"physical duplication of the original.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-06-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 PM
gmboileau
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the OEM part number is 10098488...fits 90-92
Old 05-07-2016, 01:02 AM
billybalut
Advanced

well guys just couldn't let it go! With your suggestion about the new unit maybe having an internal relay I figured my external relay was demon making it inoperable, so with the info you guys gave me I did away with the external relay and wired the new antenna directly to the south side of the plug harness.

(Just in case anyone else runs into this same problem this is how I wired it up)!

Black wire from the antenna I grounded on the frame.
Pink wire on the antenna to pink wire on the harness.
Orange wire to the orange harness wire.

Fired it up, turned on the radio and IT WORKED! Antenna went up like it was supposed to. Shut it down and it retracked. Listened for the motor to stop full up and full down and it stopped running did just like its supposed to. Thanks again guys now I can go to cars and coffee in the morning instead of playing with it all day! Mahalo
rlk105mm (06-12-2020)
Old 12-08-2021, 05:32 PM
Gary-92corvette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Yes, this is a bit confusing with no wiring information on your new antenna. Don't connect 12 v between the Pink and Orange wires!!
The black wire is common to the motor. The Pink and the Orange connect to internal switches, which shut off the motor when the antenna reaches its limits (up or down), but which is which? Here's how to test:
1. Put NEG on the Black, and POS on the Pink. The antenna should go down, unless it's already down. Does the motor continue to try to run? If NOT, go to step #2.
If the motor DOES try to run, go to step #4.

2. Put POS on the Black, and NEG on the Orange. The antenna should go up all the way, and the motor should shut off at the top.
3. Connect to your car wiring: Black goes to your Green. Pink goes to your White. Orange goes to your Grey.

4. Put POS on the Black, and NEG on the Pink. The antenna should go up all the way, and the motor should shut off at the top.
5. Connect to your car wiring: Black goes to your Green. Pink goes to your Grey. Orange goes to your White.

Let me know if this works, please!

struggling here and hoping you might be the soul to save me from the **** pool that i have managed to swim into... I have a 92 corvette. taking what you have said i get nothing but a click from both tests and then a stop (almost like the motor wants to do it but realizes its not needed) so with that and what you said about never crossing black i did some tests of my own and came up with the following. Here's to hoping you can help me:

Black (old white) is attached to negative (never is removed at all)
Orange (old grey) stays on positive (never is removed at all) when by itself (not with Orange) if ant. is up it will come down
Pink (old green) while on positive w/ Orange will bring up antenna.

The test above was conducted on a battery outside of the car while the antenna was connected to radio. During the whole test never once did I not lose signal to radio station. Before the test was conducted I had it all hooked to the relay by the trunk window latch and never had anything happen. I hope you might be able to help me.

Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Power Antenna wiring color code

Quick Reply: C4 Power Antenna wiring color code