Door Lock Actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 PM
toricred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Lock Actuator?

1996 CE LT1:

A couple of weeks ago I started having a problem with the power door lock on the driver's side only. Unlocking works perfectly, but when I hit the power lock to lock all the doors only the passenger door locks. I can see that the driver's side lock moves back, but it doesn't completely lock. I can manually lock it so I don't think the lock itself is broken.

I was able to get the power lock to work once today after manually locking it several times. Is it possible the actuator is bad? Maybe the lock just needs lubrication to make it easier for it to engage? Since it works every once in a while, I think it has to be something simple.

Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Take the door pad off and clean and lube do all while your in there.
The following users liked this post:
toricred (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 PM
toricred
Instructor

I'm a real newbie to this stuff, lube with dielectric grease, or something else?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Sounds like the actuator is on its very last leg. Soon it won't do anything.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:53 PM
toricred
Instructor

I think I'll try AntFarmer's advice first. It's less expensive and won't do any harm. If that doesn't work I'll replace the actuator, actually probably do both doors at the same time.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:27 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by toricred
I think I'll try AntFarmer's advice first. It's less expensive and won't do any harm. If that doesn't work I'll replace the actuator, actually probably do both doors at the same time.
Look on youtube for videos and hidden screws just take your time. Good time to replace window sweeps.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

what is 'an actuator' ...? are you talking about the motor?

im having the same issue on my drivers side.

if you hit lock the passenger side locks, but the drivers side lock slide bar moves half way.

if you hold the power lock switch, the drivers side lock bar will usually move the rest of the way and lock it. however, sometimes ive had to manually lock it.

note this is only an issue when the car is OFF (12v).

if the car is running (14 volts), the power door lock usually works the first time.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:18 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Sure thing. Labor is free so if that doesn't do it then you will know for sure that its not a binding link rod or something, plus you wont be out anything.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:20 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
what is 'an actuator' ...? are you talking about the motor?
Yes its an electric motor, but the parts counter guy is going to call it an actuator, and its best not to confuse those guys.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:25 PM
toricred
Instructor

Lubricating the locking mechanism fixed the issue. Unfortunately I didn't have window sweeps available, but now I know how to get in there. As I started working on getting the door panel off I noticed that it doesn't look like it fits quite right at the front. The insulation seems to be uncovered on the top of the door near the front. Does that sound right?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:19 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Lubricating the locking mechanism fixed the issue. Unfortunately I didn't have window sweeps available, but now I know how to get in there. As I started working on getting the door panel off I noticed that it doesn't look like it fits quite right at the front. The insulation seems to be uncovered on the top of the door near the front. Does that sound right?
Yeah after 20 years or so it seems they are all deformed. Its good news the lock is fixed though.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:36 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Good job on my 94 I put two screws one front and one back on a slight angle to hook over the door frame to hold the pad tight works great and the screw is hidden by the sweep.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Lock Actuator?

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuator?