C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

92 ecm

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 92 ecm

Anyone know any sources for an ECM for a '92 Corvette? I need one for my '92 LT1 that went south. Chevrolet says they can't even find one.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:48 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Try vett2vett
Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Post as wanted in parts section , 92 and 93 use same ECM. ECM repair1 on ebay offers repair service - "Gotta have one to get one" decent feedback rating. I never dealt with them.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:38 PM
mcnulty95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 2 years ago I needed to replace my 92's ecm. After a lot of searching I finally found a guy selling one in Atlanta.
Not an easy find, but they're out there. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

I had my 92 ECM rebuilt at Davies Corvette (in FLA). No problems since.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Thanks guys! I'll check out these places that y'all suggested. Wow as many 92-93 Corvette's that are out there you would think they wouldn't be that hard to find. What I have found so far like the poster Kevova said "gotta have one to get one". No one carries these that they will send one out and then you send in the core so you don't have any down time. So when I find a good re-builder my baby's just going to have to sit at the Chevrolet house until then.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

There is an other avenue 93 LT1 Camaros and Firebirds also use same ECM so you could look that way but their production numbers were pretty low. It will still be on the tough side. My untested spare is from a Camaro. Because they're hard to find I'll have to keep it until get a different car. There is a plus supposedly they have a relatively low failure rate, I'm not sure how that applies to a 23 year on car. lol ....other than there is a better than average chance to find a good one when you find one. might check on this one

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

Last edited by Kevova; 05-10-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:32 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I just bought one back that I sold because it made me feel safer. I think 92-93 are the only ECM years that work.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Chevrolet is really confused on this issue because this cars having strange issues. Because apparently the ECM and the ASR share data with each other.
The car itself does not throw any codes at all but when the car warms up several things seem to happen. First the car seems to run like the timing is retarded and then there seems to be a lag spot in the accelerator response at about half throttle and when it does this it shifts hard between first and second. it also has a slight surge. Then when the cars cold it sometimes runs great like not a problem one.
I know it's not the opti because we changed it out along with the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wire set and it runs exactly like it did before we replaced this all thinking this would have knocked out the problem.
He tech said the he see's the data and it all shows with in spec's but it did bring up the ASR a loss of data on his scanner couple of times which the ECM controls also. We hate throwing parts at it but it all seems to lead to the ECM or could be a ASR problem. The guy seems to be a good tech and is a GM master tech.
So it looks like the only thing is left to do is replace the ECM and prom (going to send it out and have it re-manufactured) hoping this will fix the problem. If not may have to then look at the ASR.
If the car would flash a code it would at least give us a starting point but not a code one except a loss of data to the ASR that one time it acted up.

Last edited by Smokeysvette; 05-11-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

If it is losing ASR data I would be focusing on that, before I sent out ECM. ASR controls accelerator cable and can request ECM to reduced power. ASR is a part on EBTCM uses inputs from ECM for load and wheel speed sensors to determine loss of traction and activate. If you drive with "traction off" will or has condition occurred. As a rule this style of oem chip almost never fails. There should be a chart related to lost of data in FSM other OEM base service information ...alldata

Last edited by Kevova; 05-12-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevova
If it is losing ASR data I would be focusing on that, before I sent out ECM. ASR controls accelerator cable and can request ECM to reduced power. ASR is a part on EBTCM uses inputs from ECM for load and wheel speed sensors to determine loss of traction and activate. If you drive with "traction off" will or has condition occurred. As a rule this style of oem chip almost never fails. There should be a chart related to lost of data in FSM other OEM base service information ...alldata
EBTCM? Are you talking about the BCM? If not whats a EBTCM?
Well we got the car out and it's going to a Corvette place that's much more specialized in difficult C-4 problems.
The poor guy at our small town Chevrolet house was going crazy on this car. Wish I had it here to see if I flipped the button on the traction control at the time to see if there was any difference but seemed like I did try that at one point when I was getting burnt out on it.

It upsets me to cause this car is such a nice 41K drop top too. Even has the elusive hard top that goes with it.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

ASR is part of the ABS/Traction Control so if you are losing data I would look at that aspect since ECM is not readily available. Many time parts that have a low failure rate .. will cause low demand and unfortunately for those of us with 92-93 LT1 ....obsolescence. The Opti I is a prime example they were only used on 2 carlines and that weren't big sellers (production numbers don't lie) but failure rate is high so they're readily available.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Just to let anyone know who was interested to what was wrong with the car. It was the prom and the ICM. I also learned to that you NEVER use dielectric on the opti spark connection. The tech said that's normally good to use on electrical connection but just not that one. This seems to be my go to guy from now on as this car has been to two other Chevrolet dealerships (one a smaller and one a large dealership) that could never figure out what it was. But this guy nailed it right off. He was also saying that the tech's at The Chevrolet places just don't have the knowledge of these cars anymore which I now believe. One of the Chevrolet dealerships tech told me when they find out what was wrong with the car please come back and let him know what it was...lol.
The following users liked this post:
Kevova (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

thanks for posting conclusion.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:33 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Just a note to those in the future that need a new ECM. GM actually re-started a program to rebuild ECM's. This runs thru a dealership. Just sent my friends 94 in.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 ecm

Quick Reply: 92 ecm