C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 Key Fob Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 PM
BigAl1951
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Key Fob Problem

I bought a 1996 C4 and it did not come with a key fob. I got a key fob for the car on ebay. When I went to program the key fob, it would not take. I followed the instructions in the owners manual to program a fob. Tried it many times with no luck at all. I started reading more about the key fob and it said in the manual you could turn the passive key system off. It said that when you were first starting the car the passive key light should come on for a couple of seconds before going off. My light did not come on at all; so, I am thinking that my system was turned off with the original key fob I did not get with the car and I am now not able to turn the system on so that I can program the fob I have purchased. Is there some way I can turn the system back on without that original fob? I am thinking; maybe then, my programing procedure might work. Any thoughts out there?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

C4fob@yahoo.com
email Brea she helped design the system.
and sells fob cheaper then ebay.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-13-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:26 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

I had the same problem. I programmed a friends FOB on my car to see if my system was operating correctly. I tried 3 aftermarket FOB's with lot's of time & money spent/wasted before breaking down and purchasing a FOB from the GM store.
Don't know why the aftermarket FOB's would not work correctly. They went in the recycle bin.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAl1951
I bought a 1996 C4 and it did not come with a key fob. I got a key fob for the car on ebay. When I went to program the key fob, it would not take. I followed the instructions in the owners manual to program a fob. Tried it many times with no luck at all. I started reading more about the key fob and it said in the manual you could turn the passive key system off. It said that when you were first starting the car the passive key light should come on for a couple of seconds before going off. My light did not come on at all; so, I am thinking that my system was turned off with the original key fob I did not get with the car and I am now not able to turn the system on so that I can program the fob I have purchased. Is there some way I can turn the system back on without that original fob? I am thinking; maybe then, my programing procedure might work. Any thoughts out there?
I bought a new fob off feebay only to find out that the unit in the dash is dead. Expensive lesson.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Your receiver is probably dead. The system being "off" does not prevent you from programming a new fob to it. Post more detail about what you did and what the results were when you tried programming it. If you tell us what you did to program it and what happened at each step we may be able to help.

There are three basic possibilities:
1. there is a problem with the fob
2. there is a problem with the receiver (and/or antennas)
3. you may have done something wrong (I'm sure you didn't, but it has been known to happen)

Last edited by markKlein; 05-13-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:14 AM
Scooter94
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
C4fob@yahoo.com
email Brea she helped design the system.
and sells fob cheaper then ebay.
I contacted her about getting one for my 94, but doesn't do that one anymore. Mine works, I just need the case if I could get just that part.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 PM
BigAl1951
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markKlein
Your receiver is probably dead. The system being "off" does not prevent you from programming a new fob to it. Post more detail about what you did and what the results were when you tried programming it. If you tell us what you did to program it and what happened at each step we may be able to help.

There are three basic possibilities:
1. there is a problem with the fob
2. there is a problem with the receiver (and/or antennas)
3. you may have done something wrong (I'm sure you didn't, but it has been known to happen)
Hi, Mark. When through the programming of the fob again today by placing the fob more than 20 feet from the car. Got in the car put key in ignition and turned on, but did not start. Pushed Trip/Odo button twice and within 5 seconds, pushed and held the Fuel/Info button until the PKE light came on and stayed on. Turned the ignition key off, did not remove the key and the PKE light began flashing. Opened the door and got out of the car, shut the door and went to get the fob. Got the fob and walked toward the drivers door of the car. Watched the PKE light and it continued to flash; it never stayed on steady. It just continued to flash no matter how long I waited.

I also thought that when the key is first turned before starting the car, the PKE light is supposed to stay on for a couple of seconds then go out. When I turn on my ignition, the light does not come on at all. I am thinking the system has been turned off. Can I get the system back on without the original fob?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigAl1951
Hi, Mark. When through the programming of the fob again today by placing the fob more than 20 feet from the car. Got in the car put key in ignition and turned on, but did not start. Pushed Trip/Odo button twice and within 5 seconds, pushed and held the Fuel/Info button until the PKE light came on and stayed on. Turned the ignition key off, did not remove the key and the PKE light began flashing. Opened the door and got out of the car, shut the door and went to get the fob. Got the fob and walked toward the drivers door of the car. Watched the PKE light and it continued to flash; it never stayed on steady. It just continued to flash no matter how long I waited.

I also thought that when the key is first turned before starting the car, the PKE light is supposed to stay on for a couple of seconds then go out. When I turn on my ignition, the light does not come on at all. I am thinking the system has been turned off. Can I get the system back on without the original fob?
Good, you have eliminated possibilities 2 and 3.

Being "turned off" does not prevent you programming a new fob. Don't worry about the original fob. The light not coming on when you turn the key on just means the system is set to not automatically lock/unlock the doors; it has nothing to do with being able to program a new fob. (I don't think the old fob would even work now, when you go into programming mode, the system removes the old fob(s) from memory to make way for new ones.)

The good news is that based on the flashing light your receiver seems to be fine. The fact that it does not recognize the fob but is blinking points to the fob as the problem (or could be the antennas are all hosed, but that is a real long shot). Make sure the fob battery is good (if it came in the original package it is a very old battery , what voltage are you getting from it?), make sure it is not upside down, make sure it is seated properly. It's always possible the fob is damaged (when you shake it you should hear a rattle). Do you know anyone with a working fob, maybe a Vette club in your area? Try to program a fob that you know is working. Odds are about 95% that the problem is the fob/fob battery.

Even though it looks like everything on the car is OK, it wouldn't hurt to check fuses 26, 40 and 42.

You don't happen to be in northern Colorado do you?

Last edited by markKlein; 05-30-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Good, you have eliminated possibilities 2 and 3.

Being "turned off" does not prevent you programming a new fob. Don't worry about the original fob. The light not coming on when you turn the key on just means the system is set to not automatically lock/unlock the doors; it has nothing to do with being able to program a new fob. (I don't think the old fob would even work now, when you go into programming mode, the system removes the old fob(s) from memory to make way for new ones.)

The good news is that based on the flashing light your receiver seems to be fine. The fact that it does not recognize the fob but is blinking points to the fob as the problem (or could be the antennas are all hosed, but that is a real long shot). Make sure the fob battery is good (if it came in the original package it is a very old battery , what voltage are you getting from it?), make sure it is not upside down, make sure it is seated properly. It's always possible the fob is damaged (when you shake it you should hear a rattle). Do you know anyone with a working fob, maybe a Vette club in your area? Try to program a fob that you know is working. Odds are about 95% that the problem is the fob/fob battery.

Even though it looks like everything on the car is OK, it wouldn't hurt to check fuses 26, 40 and 42.

You don't happen to be in northern Colorado do you?
Dude I'm having the same exact problem! I don't think I see the PKE light come on once when I start the car or when the ignition is switched on either.

Its not the batteries, got brand spanking new CR2430 batts in both of them.

So its either the FOBs or the PKE system. Fobs are at least $130 on eBay. I found this:

http://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/...-repair-12741/

I emailed her to see if she still does the repair. Can't pull anything up on fixing the PKE system. Anyone have a thread on that?
Old 06-05-2016, 11:29 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Hmm didnt see someone had already posted about
c4fob@yahoo.com already
Old 06-06-2016, 09:22 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

So what voltage are you getting? Are you sure they aren't upside down?

If it's the exact same problem then you get a blinking light, right? if so then it is not a problem with the PKE receiver. It's a problem with the fobs.

Last edited by markKlein; 06-06-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

So what voltage are you getting? Are you sure they aren't upside down?

If it's the exact same problem then you get a blinking light, right? if so then it is not a problem with the PKE receiver. It's a problem with the fobs.
I didn't measure the voltage but the battery is in the right way and its brand new. I believe its the fobssss!

Last edited by jay23ls; 06-08-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Ok so the C4fob lady still does this work.. of fixing fobs FYI for anyone interested. She just takes a few days to email back

Since I have the same symptoms of the PKE programming mode working but the fobs not being recognized or picked up during that mode, I'm guessing its the fobs.

Before I send them off to her.... is the correct battery CR2430 or 2450? I bought 2430s but see both on different threads

Last edited by jay23ls; 06-08-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:03 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Anyone know if the the correct fob battery is CR2430 or 2450? Or do both work? I bought 2430s and fobs not being recognized in programming mode so thought I'd check w yall
Old 06-09-2016, 02:09 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

2450 is the correct battery

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Key Fob Problem

Quick Reply: 1996 Key Fob Problem