C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

89 convertible top balloons on highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:26 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 89 convertible top balloons on highway

My top is still in good shape but little loose in the middle. Is there a kit or tie down method for this? Will velcro strips hold middle of top down?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:58 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

There are strips/sleeves that hold the top to the hoops in the center. If your top is original, the sleeves may have delaminated from the top. If it's a replacement, they don't usually use sleeves, they use strips that you glue directly to the hoop and the headliner clips into those hoops helping fasten the strips down. You'll have to remove the headliner or maybe you can look inside the headliner when the top is partially folded to see if those sleeves/strips are still there and holding. If not, you'll probably need a new top.
The two bars in the center are the ones I'm talking about
Name:  photo781.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  1.22 MB
Good luck with whatever you find.
The following users liked this post:
Street89vette (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
You'll have to remove the headliner or maybe you can look inside the headliner when the top is partially folded to see if those sleeves/strips are still there and holding. If not, you'll probably need a new top.
Might be able to tell one way or the other without taking anything apart. Just partially fold the top and if you can get a grip on the top material over the bows from the outside, see if you can pull it out (gently) or not. If you can then I'd suspect it's not attached to the bows.

Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by sluggballz
There are strips/sleeves that hold the top to the hoops in the center. If your top is original, the sleeves may have delaminated from the top. If it's a replacement, they don't usually use sleeves, they use strips that you glue directly to the hoop and the headliner clips into those hoops helping fasten the strips down. You'll have to remove the headliner or maybe you can look inside the headliner when the top is partially folded to see if those sleeves/strips are still there and holding. If not, you'll probably need a new top.
The two bars in the center are the ones I'm talking about
Attachment 47985466
Good luck with whatever you find.
i will check this out after i get off work today! thanks alot.
NOTE: Anyone looking for info like this out there ..... it was very hard to find information on how to do this. SAVE this thread !

Last edited by Street89vette; 05-27-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by hcbph
Might be able to tell one way or the other without taking anything apart. Just partially fold the top and if you can get a grip on the top material over the bows from the outside, see if you can pull it out (gently) or not. If you can then I'd suspect it's not attached to the bows.

Just a thought.
thanks, i will get out my trusty Head Flashlight and take a look
Old 05-27-2016, 02:21 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Worst comes to worst, it's five screws( I think IIRC) to take the header down that holds the front of the headliner in. Take those out and you can pull the headliner back to the first hoop and get a better look.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 convertible top balloons on highway

Quick Reply: 89 convertible top balloons on highway