C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hose to nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Hose to nowhere

Found a loose hose hanging under 86 vert. Comes from somewhere above transmission, runs down passenger side of tunnel toward front of car. It has a "T" fitting along side of trans, Plastic tip (melted) above exhaust pipe where it ends w/ zip tie. Looked in FSM. shows no rubber lines in this area.....Any guesses?????

Old 05-27-2016, 12:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Replacement line to the canister?
Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Ziggy*
Racer

Whoa....Never gave that a thought. Wouldn't that run along with fuel lines?...Traced it up around shifter. Can't see any hose running along "C" beam back to fuel tank. Guess I'll pull console and check canister hoses up front....When I pulled fuel gauge from tank, all were metal lines w/ rubber fittings for sending unit....Thank you, got some looking to do...Ziggy
Old 05-28-2016, 09:56 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ziggy,
It looks like you've got the 4+3 Manual. There is a vent line that goes into two ports on the trans and continues up to a vent cap. This line normally runs along the driver side and up the firewall. The vent cap hides behind and to the left (driver side) of the distributor. The disconnected end goes into a hole in the top of the trans. This vent line would have been hard plastic from the factory, but yours may have been replaced at one time with rubber hose. See if you can verify the rear of this line terminates at the trans tail. Also see if the forward end is either a vent cap or just open to atmosphere.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 05-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

RQ - How are you doing? I was quite confident that it was likely the vent for the trans but I didn't quite get the T.

Here's an eBay offering that displays the OE routing for the trans vent I believe. I don't know that it differed year to year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-Corvette-...ZWx9p2&vxp=mtr
Old 05-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm doing fine Dave. Hope you are keeping well. I'm not confident, but it seems logical. The last three photos in your link show the T, but using the stock plastic hose instead of the Ziggy's rubber hose. Maybe if he comes back we can find out for sure.

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
RQ - How are you doing? I was quite confident that it was likely the vent for the trans but I didn't quite get the T.

Here's an eBay offering that displays the OE routing for the trans vent I believe. I don't know that it differed year to year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-Corvette-...ZWx9p2&vxp=mtr
Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
I'm doing fine Dave. Hope you are keeping well. I'm not confident, but it seems logical. The last three photos in your link show the T, but using the stock plastic hose instead of the Ziggy's rubber hose. Maybe if he comes back we can find out for sure.
I never looked to the end of the link - just a quick glance to confirm the routing. SO looking at the last few then it would seem that the OP is missing the vent to the manual aspect of the trans. Likely just busted off. I never "turned" the trans to look at the left side LOL

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-28-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Ziggy*
Racer

Sorry it took so long to get back. It is the vent line for the 4x3....Don't know how mine ended up on passenger side???? And not hooked up on trans(BUBBA) Will install new line from tail, up to "T" for trans, then get a new breather/w cap to finish. Thanks for all your help!!! That picture WVZR-1 helped alot after tearing half the car apart (console, and finding nothing)Thanks again everyone...Ziggy
Old 05-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Ziggy,
It looks like you've got the 4+3 Manual. There is a vent line that goes into two ports on the trans and continues up to a vent cap. This line normally runs along the driver side and up the firewall. The vent cap hides behind and to the left (driver side) of the distributor. The disconnected end goes into a hole in the top of the trans. This vent line would have been hard plastic from the factory, but yours may have been replaced at one time with rubber hose. See if you can verify the rear of this line terminates at the trans tail. Also see if the forward end is either a vent cap or just open to atmosphere.
Hey Ray,

Long time no talk. Hope all is well.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:00 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
Hey Ray,

Long time no talk. Hope all is well.
Doing OK, Steve. Been doin' other things for a while, but went out to the garage the other day and thought I'd better get this Corvette back together. It turns 30 in a few weeks and thought it would be nice to be in 1 piece for its birthday! It's only been apart for 5 years! I'm pacing myself, Sergeant. Now that I'm back in Corvette mode, I looked in on the old Forum. How are things with you?

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 05-31-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Doing OK, Steve. Been doin' other things for a while, but went out to the garage the other day and thought I'd better get this Corvette back together. It turns 30 in a few weeks and thought it would be nice to be in 1 piece for its birthday! It's only been apart for 5 years! I'm pacing myself, Sergeant. Now that I'm back in Corvette mode, I looked in on the old Forum. How are things with you?
Pretty much the same haha. Just been to busy with life and kids. The car is together but just sitting not being used. I recently got back out in the shop working on other projects, older cars, that the kids can fit in so we can enjoy them as a family. I poke my head here just to pass some time at work.

Get notified of new replies

To Hose to nowhere

Quick Reply: Hose to nowhere