Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wax, Strip, Claybar, Polish "Help"

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:16 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I found The Junkman series of how-to videos entertaining and they cover all of the things you need to know about diy garage polishing. You might end up spending a bunch of money, but it's still cheaper than buying tires.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:56 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

I have had a TON of success using Chemical Guys products.

They have excellent chemicals and they have a ton of how to videos in such.

I have restored many cars from oxidation to shine using their V series polishes.

The butter wax they sell is the easiest wax I have EVER worked with..

Their best products are sealants.. the jetseal and M-sealer will last for at least 10 months.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:03 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Results, regardless of the product(s) used depends on the preparation of the paint, and the paint itself.

1 oz of Dawn dish washing in a gallon or so of warm water and a foam car-wash sponge will strip (whatever) wax/polish is on there.

If the paint has issues, fix them first by whatever necessary means needed to accomplish a base paint, ready for polymer/wax (whatever).

Clay bar or buffer the base. Clay bar = great for good paint prior to shine product application. I agree, an orbital buffer (e.g., a Porter Cable 7424) with a fine foam pad and a very mild cleaner/polish may be required if there are swirls in the paint you warrant attention.
(Best way to see swirls is in a darkened room and observing the reflection of a bare bulb or (better yet) a black light - as many paint shops use, BTW.)
Shine product notes:
First is color: Just about anything looks good on WHITE. It's BLACK (especially) and dark colors in general that are the "acid test" of shine products. Extra attention is required to preparing the paint (e.g., swirls and especially on BLACK)

Two significantly different shine products to chose from-
There's the natural or synthetic WAXes (carnauba wax or the like) or Synthetic polymer "polishes". Both have their advantages.

Depending on the condition of the paint, BOTH of these groups work very well, depending on how they are applied and how much is applied.

The two differences I found are the waxes (carnauba) are harder to maintain, primarily due to the fact that heat (sunlight) softens the wax, turning it into virtual "quicksand". In sunlight (read: HOT wax), any pollen, or dust floating on the breeze and the wax will act like flypaper! In no time at all, a bluish haze begins to form and the cure is to strip and re-apply again (and again and again and again). And, should anything brush the paint or someone touch it especially while in the sun, the surface is marred and can't be buffed out until the paint is cool again.

The polymers once applied and cured are practically impervious to pollen and dust and finger prints, etc. and can often be wiped clean with a duster. even in direct sun w/o ill effects to the shine. When I was using carnauba products on my black car, to keep that clear black, "wet tar" look w/ no haze, I'd have to strip it and clay-bar it once if not twice a season. With polymer I stripped and polished my black Vette ONE TIME in the 4 years before I traded it for the Z. And, as for the Z, only once did I strip and reapply the polymer - only washed it and spritzed it with a final gloss enhancer/buffing, up until I had to have it repainted to match all over when the front bumper and hood got broken.

And, generally speaking, you get what you pay for, beit wax or polymers (or whatever*). Many complain about the initial cost, or having to go on line to buy some of the high-end products (not to say such products don't sometimes exist on store shelves). But, what makes the difference is the durability.

ALL THAT SAID.... There was a car on the recent mountain run that had undergone a professional application of a special polymer treatment that is applied at only a handful of shops around the country. It was the deepest, clearest, most durable polish I've ever seen. The downside was the application costs: almost 2 grand... But, hey! for a showcar polish that is touted as practically impermeable...maybe it's worth it!?

In short:

Prep is everything
Everything looks good when first applied
White/light colors easiest to maintain, BLACK is the crucible of all shine products! (ask anyone with a black car!)
Polymers are much more durable and perhaps provide better UV protection. But, (some say) that wax (carnauba) produces a warmer glow and is better at filling in swirls, etc.
Everyone has their favorite. Use what makes you happiest!!
A friend of mine in Fort Myers applies the polymer coating. Said if I ever move there or drive it down he would do it for about $400. Its almost a necessity to keep paint in great condition down there I guess.

Last edited by Mishawaka; 05-31-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:34 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Yup. We might look a little looney blow drying our rides but we can't care what the neighbors think. What do they know, taking their their big ol, cookie cutter sedans SUVs to the typical car wash spot!

That Shine product looks great btw. Would love to get a bird poop resistant barrier on the paint which is what I hear it does
When I first met my wife she thought I was crazy when I busted out the leaf blower to dry the car...years later she still thinks I'm crazy along with all my neighbors

Some people just don't understand swirl free, beautiful paint!

Quick Reply: Wax, Strip, Claybar, Polish "Help"