Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Prep for Paint

Old 05-30-2016, 12:12 AM
Aeberhart
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep for Paint

Hi. I have a 1986 corvette that I want to prep for paint. Only thing is I'm new to the whole process and have no idea where to begin. I know there are certain things you have to do for fiberglass and I was wondering what they are and where to start.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:04 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Start by watching the YouTube videos by Eastwood. Then look at the YouTube videos by Forum member Flyboy91. They are titled "Painting the Vette". There are several in the series.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

What neck of the woods are you in?

Rick
Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Block the whole body area with 600grit paper (no coarser or you'll have problems later) to take the top coat off and prepare it.

Fill and sand obvious problem areas then get a can or two of matt black and dust it over the body then sand it a bit more. The matt black will show up low areas to be filled.

Once your happy with it, use 1000grit to wet and dry it all over ready for a coat of primer. Flatten the primer with 1000 wet and dry, then your ready for a top coat or three. There are several ways to top coat, so best get more advice on this, but the prep is where the money is..

Good luck..
Old 06-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Aeberhart
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exitwound
Block the whole body area with 600grit paper (no coarser or you'll have problems later) to take the top coat off and prepare it.

Fill and sand obvious problem areas then get a can or two of matt black and dust it over the body then sand it a bit more. The matt black will show up low areas to be filled.

Once your happy with it, use 1000grit to wet and dry it all over ready for a coat of primer. Flatten the primer with 1000 wet and dry, then your ready for a top coat or three. There are several ways to top coat, so best get more advice on this, but the prep is where the money is..

Good luck..
What is the best thing to use to fill the problem spots?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Flyboyslc1

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Start by watching the YouTube videos by Eastwood. Then look at the YouTube videos by Forum member Flyboy91. They are titled "Painting the Vette". There are several in the series.
Ron thanks for the pitch for my YouTube videos. You can go to YouTube and search for my channel which is flyboyslc1. I make zero money off of these videos and did them to help fellow forum members out
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Prep for Paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prep for Paint