C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Pop ups Android device

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:52 AM
DATeem
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pop ups Android device

I use my Android phone to access cf and over the last couple of months the amount of redirect and pop-ups are getting stupid. Happens when I click on a post. Does not happen from a pc, but I seldom use the pc because of slow page load. Are the redirects happening to others? Most current and persistent one is the "your Android device has been infected".
Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You have picked up some sort of infection. I've had this happen with other sites.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

"your Android device has been infected" is telling what is wrong (I was a computer geek before buying my Vette and also becoming a Vette geek)

Last edited by 1stVetteFinally; 06-01-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM
DATeem
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Odd thing is that this is the only sight where I get any pop-ups, although maybe that is not the best description, redirect would be more accurate. Never when reading news sites, email, text, rv sites or mercedes benz forum. Only occasionally when I click on a forum reply. That is what I find strange and why I asked if others had this problem.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by DATeem
I use my Android phone to access cf and over the last couple of months the amount of redirect and pop-ups are getting stupid. Happens when I click on a post. Does not happen from a pc, but I seldom use the pc because of slow page load. Are the redirects happening to others? Most current and persistent one is the "your Android device has been infected".
I feel your pain. And, not being a computer "geek" myself, I feel frustrated by pop-ups, especially when I accidentally infected my lap-top by responding to one of those bogus warning pop-ups, "Warning! Your computer has a virus. Click here to have it removed..." etc.

Um, yeah... Guess what!? The pop-up was a trap, and as result I got a very nasty virus that I had to take to a real geek to have it removed.

So, if it is just one site where you're getting this pop-up, I think you're right to be suspicious and cautious.

Photobucket is my picture hosting site I've used for years. It always has had issues w/ re-directs, but just lately it has gotten SO BAD that I hate to go there at all. If I do go there I'm just in-and-out and close the tab or otherwise (leaving the tab open) suddenly my computer gets super slow and bogged down. Only after shutting down Phtobucket completely does my 'puter return to normal. Otherwise, I have to close my browser and re-open it to get rid of the crap.

Maybe one of the geeks on this site can chime in!?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I am not exactly sure what your issue is as I have never seen it in the wild. I don't use my android device as you do anymore. My droids are used as remote services and smart home devices as I have been unhappy with third party devices and OS update schedules and rooting is a pain in my *** and usually makes the device unstable and more susceptible to issues such as the one you have described.

I have heard of your issue before and I have some recommendations. You didn't really give a lot of information concerning your device i.e. is your device rooted? What is your device and what OS is it running? but these recommendations usually work.

Anyway... Do these at your own risk as they may cause a complete loss of your saved files, data and/or contacts.

You have a few options. One is you can completely delete the app you are using and then reinstall the app or find a better app. This means going into google play and deleting the app and then deleting the cache and any other associated files and folders that may be associated with that app that did not get deleted. That may fix your issue and is the fastest and easiest option.

Your next option is to do a complete factory reset of your device. This will get you back to a factory installation. However, if you reload your information from a saved file (backup) you may find yourself in the same spot again.

Another option is to try to find the offending file/folder and delete it or quarantine it. This may be difficult if you are unfamiliar with the Android/unix file structure or have no way to view these files. There are many ways to get into the file structure and there is not significant space or time for me to explain on this forum how to do this. It is not difficult by any means but can be confusing. Google is your friend for this.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I got redirected from the CF mobile app yesterday. Kept trying to sell me things and would not let me leave. Had to enter a different URL to get out.

Get notified of new replies

To Pop ups Android device

Quick Reply: Pop ups Android device