Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

newbs keep on replacing optispArks with non OEM units and come here for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:47 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default newbs keep on replacing optispArks with non OEM units and come here for advice

i wAnt to point out a common issue that i keep on seeing here.

i am going crazy responding to newbs who put in chinese junk optispArks and then come here wondering why their car doesnt work.

they then claim the 'optispark cant be the problem i just replaced it'.

my favorite newbs are the ones that have a gen 2 vented oem optispark and they 'proactively replace' their working good oem unit, with a chinese one, because they heard thAt optisparks fail. BANGHEAD

can we get a sticky, with pictures, about the optispark options here?

i understand OEM NOS is not avail anymore (at leAst for 92 thru 94).
sometimes you can still lucky and find one on ebay.

there needs to be an optispark sticky.
how to convrt a 92-94 to vented model, etc

there are some real dummies out there when it comes to this part.

'i replaced my optispark with a cheap one and optisparks are just pieces of junk - why would anybody want one'

'im just going to convert my car to get rid of the optispark,"'

LOL. the conversion they use still requires the optispark as a crank position sensor...

my vented, sealed, OEM unit works great and id like to share my success story with it (along with others)

Last edited by dizwiz24; 06-01-2016 at 08:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dizwiz24:
jay23ls (06-08-2016), Scott Rasmussen (11-16-2020), TheWhiteHat (06-08-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I thought the issue was that oem parts were no longer available ??
Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 AM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Diz you should do a write-up, what to look for to make sure you're getting a legit opti and then any process you can share about replacement and any tricks that help. Gotta be part of the solution man
Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
i wAnt to point out a common issue that i keep on seeing here.

i am going crazy responding to newbs who put in chinese junk optispArks and then come here wondering why their car doesnt work.

they then claim the 'optispark cant be the problem i just replaced it'.

my favorite newbs are the ones that have a gen 2 vented oem optispark and they 'proactively replace' their working good oem unit, with a chinese one, because they heard thAt optisparks fail. BANGHEAD

can we get a sticky, with pictures, about the optispark options here?

i understand OEM NOS is not avail anymore (at leAst for 92 thru 94).
sometimes you can still lucky and find one on ebay.

there needs to be an optispark sticky.
how to convrt a 92-94 to vented model, etc

there are some real dummies out there when it comes to this part.

'i replaced my optispark with a cheap one and optisparks are just pieces of junk - why would anybody want one'

'im just going to convert my car to get rid of the optispark,"'

LOL. the conversion they use still requires the optispark as a crank position sensor...

my vented, sealed, OEM unit works great and id like to share my success story with it (along with others)
100%!! ---

Two things to keep in mind:
  1. Statistics show the most critical period in a device's lifetime is when it is first put in service. More than any other time in the 'mean time between failure' (MTBF) is the likelihood of failure higher. (Referred to as "infant mortality")
  2. And, ASSUME NOTHING! One doesn't know anything about a failed or replacement (electrical) part until its function (or lack thereof) is verified, i.e., MEASURE IT.

There are two other equally poignant 'gems' for troubleshooting, but if we could keep these two things in mind, a LOT of troubles and unnecessary expense could be avoided. Just sayin!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:35 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

id like to put my money where my mouth is and provide pictures.

1.how to spot a real oem unit vs. knock off
2. whAt does a mitsubishi optical sensor look like
3. pictures of how to convert a 92-94 to vented setup
4. provide a list of common non-oem optisparks that are known to have problems vs. ones that 'might' work in a pinch that you cant find an oem (unobtanium) optispark
Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I hear you and I'm right there. I recently (last fall) purchased a 95 that appears to have been well taken care of. The car has 100k miles on the odometer and it appears to have been well maintained by the PO's. Most components are either new-ish or just plain dirty. All components under the hood are dirty and a coated somewhat with road grime. When I bought it the headlights needed a rebuild, no big deal. The air cleaner looked pretty clean. Good news. The water pump and Opti look original (old) and I was considering replacement just for insurance, but after reading your comments I'm reconsidering. I have no issues at all. No leaks. Starts great, runs great, no stumble or anything. Plug wires have been replaced and are different colors. Perhaps new plugs and wires are advisable. Thanks for your info.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Corp Z
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a Petris Opti with vent onto my 94. Very nice unit. Easy venting instructions. Works great. My OE one was disnintegrating on the inside after 22 years. Not a bad service life with 80k miles.

<br >
Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corp Z
I just put a Petris Opti with vent onto my 94. Very nice unit. Easy venting instructions. Works great. My OE one was disnintegrating on the inside after 22 years. Not a bad service life with 80k miles.

<br >
oem acdelco (with added vent) is still my first choice for 92-94 , but petris would be my second.

his base units are no longer using mitsubishi optical sensor, but that said he knows what parts he's using and i have to believe he wouldnt sell something that he knows to he unreliable.

one guy here had some problems with one of petris's first non-mitsubishi sensor models (after the supply of mitsubishi-sensor equipped units dried up).

however there was so much bickering back and forth between petris and that user that it made it tough to decipher what was actually going on.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:14 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

This is the brand of Opti that I ended up using. I have yet to install it, BUT I like all the reviews that I read.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...optispark.html
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 AM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I/m on my fourth opti in just over 12,000 mi. the oem original failed at 80,000mi, replaced with a dyna spark ($750) that failed 520mi later, replaced that with replacement dyna spark that failed 11,200mi later, replaced that with a sac city ($150) that failed 1100mi later. I then found and spent the money and installed a ac delco NOS ($450) and it is still working after 950mi. the story continues....

money doesn't guarantee quality or longevity. as far as I can tell through my research reading almost all posts on this and other sites its a 50/50 crap shoot on which ones will last, vented or not vented.

Last edited by chatham; 06-02-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:16 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by chatham
I/m on my fourth opti in just over 12,000 mi. the oem original failed at 80,000mi, replaced with a dyna spark ($750) that failed 520mi later, replaced that with replacement dyna spark that failed 11,200mi later, replaced that with a sac city ($150) that failed 1100mi later. I then found and spent the money and installed a ac delco NOS ($450) and it is still working after 950mi. the story continues....

money doesn't guarantee quality or longevity. as far as I can tell through my research reading almost all posts on this and other sites its a 50/50 crap shoot on which ones will last, vented or not vented.
if you go to the dealer today, pay top dollar, you will get an ac delco remanufactured (in china ) optispark. this is not the same as an NOS never used 92-94 ac delco optispark.

a valid argument (against NOS oem) is that 'well. my oem optispark failed so i want to take my chances with another brand or dont want to pay too much for one bc it will fail eventually'

theres a reason it fails. using high temp rtv silicone to seal it (as insurance in case the o-ring seal cracks) and adding a custom vent to an oem unit will prevent failures.

the 95/96 oem units (with vent) do not fail unless the vent becomes clogged /inoperative.

the only wear item on those is the cap and rotor

Last edited by dizwiz24; 06-02-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 AM
TheWhiteHat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great timing! I just bought my first Corvette. A 1994 that just roled 100,000 Miles. I have found out that every single common C4 problem there is, this one has. The Car just has not been taken care of.

Optispark is bad.
Instrument Cluster LED is almost unreadable it is so faded.
Instrument Dimmer photo cell is out.
AC Head Unit (Buttons) do not work consistently.
Headlight Dimmer (at multiswitch) does not work. But switch will work manually.

So I have my work cut out for me. I am starting on the Optispark first. My plan is to do the following at the same time:

1.Replace Water Pump and Thermosta(SuperStat Premium). Add hose to weep hole to make sure any water is discharged below and away from the optispark.

2. Replace the Harmonic Balancer.

3. Replace the Serpentine Belt.

4. Replace the Plug Wires and Spark Plugs

5. Modify the 92-94 Optispark unvented to a Vented system using Chris Petris's instructions. With the 96 Revised Vacuum Hose Harness PN 12556174. Use blue lock tite on the rotor screws. Seal the perimeter with RTV silicone.

So my questions!

1. Is there a better modification than the one I have found?
2. Is there anything else that it makes sense to do at the same time?
3. Everything I have read says that the Optispark issue at 22 years is a crap shoot. All the new ones are coming from China and the refurbs even by the OEM suppliers are not guarenteed to be OEM's with Mitsubishi Scanner. So how do I choose? Seems it's pays your money and takes your chances or am I wrong. How can I strengthen my odds?
4. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. I want to do it right the first time. I have been reading posts and studying the web. I don't want to be an idiot newbie that jumped in head first without reading and then when I did everything wrong decided to come in here and ask. So I will listen to any advice! Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Dizwiz I agree I second the motion I vote yes lol

Saw in the recs that the "faulti-spark" (I will take credit for that haha) has been replaced before. And I def saw that it's Not cheap.

I got a non vented one. 94. What fluid is it that leaks on these that ruins them? Yeah I'm brand new to Vettes =|

Last edited by jay23ls; 06-08-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

his base units are no longer using mitsubishi optical sensor, but that said he knows what parts he's using and i have to believe he wouldnt sell something that he knows to he unreliable.
NOt according to the FAQ: http://petrisenterprises.com/optispark-distributor/

What makes your Optispark distributor different?

Our Optispark unit is equipped with a MITSUBISHI-GRADE OPTICAL SENSOR MODULE. Our optical sensor is built using components that are equal to or higher quality than the original equipment optical sensor found in factory-supplied distributors.

Our Optispark distributor cap has a ventilation port cast into it with high quality brass terminals and high voltage distribution straps.

The brass tipped rotor of each unit is secured with Loctite, assembled, and then tested for leakage. The final touch is the installation of a vacuum ventilation hose assembly with the correct check and restrictor valves to prevent distributor cap damage.

We make our own wiring harnesses using the correct TXL wire and high quality terminals. Many harnesses are imported from other countries and are of poor quality (incorrect wire, unreliable crimping, etc.).

We also make our own vacuum ventilation kits. Our latest units come with a removable filter with a screen that can be cleaned.

Other 1995-1997 have had loose rotors. We add larger diameter screws to ensure that the rotor stays in place. We also add a reinforcement disc to the shutter wheel.

The Petris Enterprises Optispark kit includes all the pieces and attachments necessary to make the conversion, including manifold fittings, the vacuum hose assembly, and installation instructions. You can rest assured that you will not need to make trips back and forth to the auto parts store to buy another little piece to finish the project.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:05 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

This is a great idea, I'm very sick of reading about "opti-craps" and other stupid comments mostly from people who have never owned an LT1 or "knows a buddy that has one". I got 160k on my Caprice's OEM opti before I swapped it out chasing a misfire. (It wasn't even the opti, it was a wire) My friend went through 3 opti's at Advance auto before he listened to me and bought an MSD (Not my favorite but better than the advance unit) Its still going strong now.

I personally have used 2 Chandler motorsports units with good luck so far. (Caprice/Corvette) 20k on the one in the Vette and still going.

My other friend (#2) uses the spare opti pieces I have from all the LT's I have tore down to piece together working units.

Bottom line: The Opti gets a bad rep from people who don't know anything about an Opti. A dizzy that can go 100k without even doing a cap and rotor is pretty dang good in my book!

Last edited by v8vette84; 06-10-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:15 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

My 97 formula firebird's opti is still factory at 250k miles or so. Works fine. So they can last. Still don't trust em though
Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheWhiteHat
Great timing! I just bought my first Corvette. A 1994 that just roled 100,000 Miles. I have found out that every single common C4 problem there is, this one has. The Car just has not been taken care of.

Optispark is bad.
Instrument Cluster LED is almost unreadable it is so faded.
Instrument Dimmer photo cell is out.
AC Head Unit (Buttons) do not work consistently.
Headlight Dimmer (at multiswitch) does not work. But switch will work manually.

So I have my work cut out for me. I am starting on the Optispark first. My plan is to do the following at the same time:

1.Replace Water Pump and Thermosta(SuperStat Premium). Add hose to weep hole to make sure any water is discharged below and away from the optispark.

2. Replace the Harmonic Balancer.

3. Replace the Serpentine Belt.

4. Replace the Plug Wires and Spark Plugs

5. Modify the 92-94 Optispark unvented to a Vented system using Chris Petris's instructions. With the 96 Revised Vacuum Hose Harness PN 12556174. Use blue lock tite on the rotor screws. Seal the perimeter with RTV silicone.

So my questions!

1. Is there a better modification than the one I have found?
2. Is there anything else that it makes sense to do at the same time?
3. Everything I have read says that the Optispark issue at 22 years is a crap shoot. All the new ones are coming from China and the refurbs even by the OEM suppliers are not guarenteed to be OEM's with Mitsubishi Scanner. So how do I choose? Seems it's pays your money and takes your chances or am I wrong. How can I strengthen my odds?
4. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. I want to do it right the first time. I have been reading posts and studying the web. I don't want to be an idiot newbie that jumped in head first without reading and then when I did everything wrong decided to come in here and ask. So I will listen to any advice! Thanks!!
for your a/c head unit, it could be as simple as pushing on the face of it to 'freshen up' some of thr connector lead surfaces that may have developed a coating of oxidation on the leads.

or completely remove it and push it back on.

if the light is blinking, that is a sign of low refrigerant.

how do you beat your odds since oem nos is no longer available?

check e-bay for someone who is selling 1 acdelco optispark in a tattered old box. if they have 10 to sell, and they claim its nos and ac delco, its probably a remanufacturd unit which is less desireable. though once recently i saw someone advertise a bunch of nos acdelco that they say came from crate motors. im assuming those were the real deal.

post a want to buy ad here in c4 parts.... you wouldnt believe how many old hobbyists have spare parts lying around.

find a used one, inspect it to make sure it has the mitsubishi symbol on the sensor, and freshen it up with a new cap/rotor

i personally would rather have a used acdelco nos (with mitsubishi sensor) optispark vs a new china one

if i was forced to buy one, id go with petris unit for a 92-94. note he says mitsubishi -grade, not that it has the mitsubishi sensor in it. that said, jim petris is a great guy and i dont think he'd knowingly sell one with an inferior quality unit. there was one guy on here screaming that he got ripped off with a defective petris unit, and there was so many insults back and forth between the two that i couldnt figure out which side to take. that said, i have to assume if there was an issue with that particular petris optispark, that the issue was taken care of and there are now many happy customers.

whatever route you go make sure you install custom venting on 92-94 models!!!

oh yeah, add weep hole hose mod to your waterpump.

if you have an oem water pump, working well, do NOT replace it with a new acdelco CHINA water pump. they are garbage. just keep using it and get it rebuilt (there was a guy somewhere that rebuilds them)

Last edited by dizwiz24; 06-10-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To newbs keep on replacing optispArks with non OEM units and come here for advice

Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm also on my 4th since I've had my car. I'm right at 90k on the mileage. After the 1st failed, because of the water pump peeing in it, I took out the water pump drive and installed an electric pump that works fantastic. I didn't want to have to do the Opti ever again so I got one of the MSD units. Like a dummy, I thought the more you spend, the better the quality will be. Well that was a false assumption because that thing was junk from the git-go! I replaced it with a much cheaper AIP unit that lasted till I had an injector failure. The failure symptoms were so similar that I replaced the Opti again only to find later that it wasn't the problem. I autopsied the AIP Opti, and although it was a little nasty inside from what I believe was K&N Filter oil, It was still sparking OK. The AIP's have what they say are the high quality Mitsubishi sensors and they do look high Q. It's a shame that the MSD has such a junk sensor in it because it is built exceptionally well with ball bearing rotor and a very nicely sealed cap. Too bad they filled it with such poor electronics.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:19 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

My Autozone Opti works great.... I'd buy another even if it goes bad outside the warranty period. And if it goes bad within warranty, I spend enough time and money at the parts store I know they'd take it back no questions asked. Also I have a early LT1 and the Autozone Opti came with a vent.

I really think its hit and miss.

Last edited by ovrebo1; 06-10-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:53 PM
bassackwards
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oem acdelco (with added vent) is still my first choice for 92-94 , but petris would be my second.

one guy here had some problems with one of petris's first non-mitsubishi sensor models (after the supply of mitsubishi-sensor equipped units dried up).

however there was so much bickering back and forth between petris and that user that it made it tough to decipher what was actually going on.
LOL! Numerous Petris failures have been documented right here.
Notice how both him and his daughter quit posting when numerous optis purchased from them failed.

Quick Reply: newbs keep on replacing optispArks with non OEM units and come here for advice