C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ppower Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ppower Steering Fluid

As I go through replacing the fluids on my 94, I went to the GM parts dept with my manual in hand. According to them, they don't even cross the PS fluid part number listed in the manual to a later fluid and the original number is discontinued. They told me that the original was synthetic and was made for easier steering in cold weather, and that GM doesn't use a synthetic any longer.

The original part number is 12345866 or 5867 (different size containers). What they sold me was P/N 19329448.

I have not really planned on a full flush, but do a drain the reservoir refill it with new and after driving it repeat multiple times.

Is there any issues with the fluid that they provided? I'm assuming I don't need synthetic, especially since I don't drive in cold weather. (often).

Last edited by Scooter94; 06-02-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Since no one has answered I'll tell you what I did. I have an '86 and used a NAPA branded generic power steering fluid, #9832. I used your suggested process of draining and refilling the reservoir multiple times, with driving in between refills. I have had no adverse affects.

If you want to stick with a synthetic I'm not sure but you could check Amsoil, Lukas or possibly Red Line. Will probably have to order on line tho for those.
The following users liked this post:
Scooter94 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 02:16 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Redline is an excellent choice. I have also used Lucas and have no complaints. Redline seems to be the fluid of choice for the racing crowd.

edit- Lucas you can pickup locally. Redline order from Amazon.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 06-03-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:25 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Redline is an excellent choice. I have also used Lucas and have no complaints. Redline seems to be the fluid of choice for the racing crowd.

edit- Lucas you can pickup locally. Redline order from Amazon.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Weck86
Since no one has answered I'll tell you what I did. I have an '86 and used a NAPA branded generic power steering fluid, #9832. I used your suggested process of draining and refilling the reservoir multiple times, with driving in between refills. I have had no adverse affects.

If you want to stick with a synthetic I'm not sure but you could check Amsoil, Lukas or possibly Red Line. Will probably have to order on line tho for those.
I used synthetic Redline power steering fluid. What a BIG difference in smoothness and reduced the amount of energy needed to turn the steering wheel. Since I have learned that Amsoil makes a synthetic p/s fluid which I'm sure works fantastic. I used Amsoil synthetic auto trans fluid recently and could not believe how well it worked, shifts smooth as glass.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
I used synthetic Redline power steering fluid. What a BIG difference in smoothness and reduced the amount of energy needed to turn the steering wheel. Since I have learned that Amsoil makes a synthetic p/s fluid which I'm sure works fantastic. I used Amsoil synthetic auto trans fluid recently and could not believe how well it worked, shifts smooth as glass.
I've wondered about the added effort to turn the steering wheel was normal or not. Since I don't have anything to compare it with, I didn't pay any more attention to it. Its just more than a standard car.
I think I'll look for the Redline PS fluid.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Go with the Redline synthetic P/S fluid, it meets GM Spec Number 9985010, several of us have been using it for years with excellent results:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=79&pcid=27

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-fluid.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-gives-2.html

This thread is an interesting read on P/S fluid for late model C4's that originally required P/S fluid with GM's 12345866/7 spec;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ps-fluid.html

Last edited by mako41; 06-05-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:08 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Good to know
Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Been using this 100% in the reservoir for over ten years in my '87. Works perfectly.. No leaks, great feel.

http://lucasoil.com/products/problem...ring-stop-leak
Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I really like the Red Line synthetic PS fluid. It works very well to handle the heat generated from high RPM operation such as track use or even autocross.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:33 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter94
As I go through replacing the fluids on my 94, I went to the GM parts dept with my manual in hand. According to them, they don't even cross the PS fluid part number listed in the manual to a later fluid and the original number is discontinued. They told me that the original was synthetic and was made for easier steering in cold weather, and that GM doesn't use a synthetic any longer.

The original part number is 12345866 or 5867 (different size containers). What they sold me was P/N 19329448.

I have not really planned on a full flush, but do a drain the reservoir refill it with new and after driving it repeat multiple times.

Is there any issues with the fluid that they provided? I'm assuming I don't need synthetic, especially since I don't drive in cold weather. (often).
I did the same thing: empty reservoir, refill with fresh, drive a few hundred miles, repeat. I did it 3 times and figured that's plenty of fresh fluid for maintenance of the system. I used regular Prestone power steering fluid, it meets GM service requirements and is compatible with factory fill.

I don't think synthetic is necessary in your situation. But the Prestone fluid for American cars is fully synthetic:
http://prestone.com/enmx/products/ca...s/product_list

Also, power steering fluid isn't a regular service item but after this many years it's probably a good idea to freshen it up. That's why I did it, there were no problems, I just wanted fresh juice in everything
Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Originally Posted by DGXR
Also, power steering fluid isn't a regular service item but after this many years it's probably a good idea to freshen it up. That's why I did it, there were no problems, I just wanted fresh juice in everything
It smells pretty strong and is dark in color. Sounds like cheap insurance.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:06 PM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
Go with the Redline synthetic P/S fluid, it meets GM Spec Number 9985010, several of us have been using it for years with excellent results:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=79&pcid=27

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-fluid.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-gives-2.html

This thread is an interesting read on P/S fluid for late model C4's that originally required P/S fluid with GM's 12345866/7 spec;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ps-fluid.html
This is what I purchased. Had to buy on line. Couldn't find any local suppliers who carried Red Line.

This the right stuff????

Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 AM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tmirisola
This is what I purchased. Had to buy on line. Couldn't find any local suppliers who carried Red Line.

This the right stuff????

Yep that's the stuff I used!
The following users liked this post:
tmirisola (06-08-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 12:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I use royal purple synthetic power steering fluid with a little bit of the Lucas stuff in it to condition it. Works well.

Get notified of new replies

To Ppower Steering Fluid

Quick Reply: Ppower Steering Fluid