C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Removing targa on 1988 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Removing targa on 1988 Vette

I need to remove the top on a friends 88 Vette for a windshield replacement while he is out of town. I have a 96 and I am wondering if my torx tool will fit his 88 or are the bolts different. Don't know where his tool is or if he has ever even had his targa off. Is anything different on top fasteners between 88 & 96? Don't want to go all the way out there and not have the right tools.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I believe the are the same but you could take a set with you. Not sure if it is a good idea to put the windshield in with the top off. Make sure the car is level and they have done c4s before and know what they are doing.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Klondike
Race Director

I surely hope they have done a C4 before! This is my Buddy's old Challenge car. It's full race now because of the cats removal and is not streetable. Has a roll cage in it so I think it will be stiff enough with the top off. It's sitting in his shop so it will be level. Doesn't care if the molding leaks or not because it will never see rain unless he races wet some day.
I'm going to watch this very carefully because I need mine replaced one of these days too and I know it takes a lot more skill than your Toyota Prius. I just hope he chose the right guy.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Default Update

Well the good news is that the 96 tool is the same as what was needed on the 88. ( His was missing just as I suspected after all these years of racing and being traded)
The BAD news is, Safelite Glass sent a 6 month rookie out to do the Windshield. When the guys in the shop heard "C4" they started passing the job down till it got to this poor guy. I asked him if he had ever done one before and he said he 'saw' one done on 'a late model Corvette' but not like this one. THEN we took a look at the C-4! It was like a deer in the headlights. Poor guy didn't have a clue, and I was no help because I wanted to see how it was done for myself.
I told him, "This is Not a windshield to GET experience on. It's a windshield you NEED experience on." He decided to pass on it rather than tear anything up. Wise choice, and he moved on to do the windshield in the truck.
Now we are still looking for an experienced C4 installer in the San Antonio area.
The following users liked this post:
KYC4 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Klondike
Well the good news is that the 96 tool is the same as what was needed on the 88. ( His was missing just as I suspected after all these years of racing and being traded)
The BAD news is, Safelite Glass sent a 6 month rookie out to do the Windshield. When the guys in the shop heard "C4" they started passing the job down till it got to this poor guy. I asked him if he had ever done one before and he said he 'saw' one done on 'a late model Corvette' but not like this one. THEN we took a look at the C-4! It was like a deer in the headlights. Poor guy didn't have a clue, and I was no help because I wanted to see how it was done for myself.
I told him, "This is Not a windshield to GET experience on. It's a windshield you NEED experience on." He decided to pass on it rather than tear anything up. Wise choice, and he moved on to do the windshield in the truck.
Now we are still looking for an experienced C4 installer in the San Antonio area.
That's pretty good. I'm not a pro at installing windshields but did 90% of the work on an 84 years ago,first and only one and the glass pros that do this everyday won't touch a C4?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

I just dropped at Safelite and it was done in a day. It's a windshield, not brain surgery.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I just dropped at Safelite and it was done in a day. It's a windshield, not brain surgery.
Was it a C-4 ? Most installers have never done a C-4. They think it's just like any other Corvette and they wind up screwing up the thing where you have to go searching for the unobtainium window trim metal or it leaks like a screen-door because they used China made weather strip that looks like it came off a 55 Studebaker!

Get notified of new replies

To Removing targa on 1988 Vette

Quick Reply: Removing targa on 1988 Vette