C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

No Current to C4 headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:38 AM
daddyw
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Current to C4 headlight motor

I have a 88 Vette and I just got through installing a set of Delrin bushings in the left side headlight motor. Replaced the right side in 2015.

Re-installed headlight unit by turning the **** on the motor, it operates perfectly. Turn light switch on headlight lights up but the motor does not rotate. Checked feed wires to the motor which are grey and green and there is no current, the right side operates normally. I ran two wires from the battery to the motor terminal and Bingo the motor opened the headlight assembly, switch wires and it closes the unit.

How do I locate what is causing current shortage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

This sounds like a current or ground problem on that side. Check the connection on top of the side marker light that goes to the motor and the ground.Trace the wires back. Did you take a ground off and forget it? Try swapping the relays.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-12-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Check fuse for left head lamp motor
Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Try swapping the relays.
There are no relays in the '88 headlight motor circuit.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
There are no relays in the '88 headlight motor circuit.
Thank you always learning no help for the poster?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Thank you always learning no help for the poster?
If I'm not 100% confident that I have the right response for the question, I keep my mouth closed.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:15 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,275 Likes on 861 Posts

Hook up a test light between the two terminals and see if you have light when opening or closing the headlights. Next step is to check continuity of those green and grey widest other connector (Terminal C and D) at the headlight control module at the left front of the fender well.if continuity checks out, your headlight module has gone kaput.

Last edited by ChumpVette; 06-15-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:59 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

If I'm not 100% confident that I have the right response for the question, I keep my mouth closed.

But yet you always find time with your little buddy to try to insult me for trying to help. the point of a forum is to exchange thoughts and ideas so all can learn. Not to stand on your little soap box trying to **** on everyone not up to YOUR standards. LMAO

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-15-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

But yet you always find time with your little buddy to try to insult me for trying to help. the point of a forum is to exchange thoughts and ideas so all can learn.
So you think bad advice is helpful? I was being nice to you!

Old 06-15-2016, 03:13 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

So you think bad advice is helpful? I was being nice to you!

TRY........ Reading my post........... And how is trolling me helping the OP. Stop highjacking OP posts for your petty games.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-15-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Scantool_Guy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for headlight motor with no current

I think you have the same problem, that I just resolved. I came home late from work put my car away. Next morning I came out and found my headlights up. At first, I thought I left the lights on and the battery was dead. But no for some reason the headlights were no longer rotating up and down. I started diagnosis at the headlight control module.
Good powers, good grounds, and the two signal wires changing to 12+ when the headlight switch is turned on and off. On the headlight motor side nothing. OK the module is dead, I tried for a month to find one. The best I could find was NOS from a dealer for 500 bucks. So I pulled it out of the car and break into the module (the back comes off). I saw the problem right away. The smoke haze in the relay case and broken wire to one of the contacts caused the control to stop working. a little online searching, I found a replacement relay and ordered 2, I also ordered replacement mosfet's since they can get stuck on and cause a short to ground blowing fuses and overloading relay contacts.
Put in the new relay and mosfets, reinstalled in the car. Both headlights rotate closed, but only the left rotates back up. The right side is dead. I quick search on the right side and I find the problem, the green wire has a worn spot and created a short to ground. When the headlight switch is turned on, 12+ is applied to the wire, the amperage exceeds the 5 amp current max. of the relay and the contact fails. So I taped up the wire, replaced the relay again (good thing I bought 2) and it is fixed. Less than 100 bucks in parts. Done.

Get notified of new replies

To No Current to C4 headlight motor

Quick Reply: No Current to C4 headlight motor