C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Horn relay & alarm fuse 😡😡😡

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:32 PM
DC 155
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Horn relay & alarm fuse 😡😡😡

I'm sure there could be 100 different reasons but is there a very common reason for the alarm fuse behind then "convenience center" to continue to blow? I've been changing the horn relay along with the alarm fuse but now that I think about it, it could just be the alarm fuse. I notice there's a problem when the horn doesn't work and then realize that "security" is also not flashing on the dash. It's driving me crazy because I'm sick of taking apart the dash.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

You've been shopping for horns also. What exactly seems to be the issues? Do you have the FSM that explains how the THEFT/HORNS and related works? You need to understand the THEFT/SECURITY light and to actually repair/diagnose the circuit have an FSM. ALARM fuse you're referencing is actually the horn - correct? THEFT module is powered directly from the HORN fuse, that's why it's not easily accessible.

There's several '86 owners that actually understand and help. If your situation was better explained I believe you can find help.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-30-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:31 AM
DC 155
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts

Horns didn't work when I got the car. I bench tested both horns and confirmed they were dead. Replaced with aftermarket horns at which time they didn't work either. Bench tested and confirmed they were both good. Reinstalled and checked fuse. Fuse was good then found horn relay and alarm fuse were bad. I replaced alarm fuse and horn relay and everything works for a couple of days before alarm fuse and relay blow again. I learned that the alarm and horn were related and am currently reading more to try to get a grip on it. Was hoping someone could bring me up to speed faster. Thanks for the input and anything else you can add. It's appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn relay & alarm fuse 😡😡😡

Quick Reply: Horn relay & alarm fuse 😡😡😡