C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

c4 airflow

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Thans for posting some good pics. That car sure appears to have an opening. This is bizarre, the diff between cars.

That car has the louvers that you've mentioned -which I have seen many times before, but that is that reverse facing, tin looking scoop? I haven't seen one of those before.

That rubber seal looks totally home made (but so do lots of parts on a C4 )

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-22-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 PM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Thans for posting some good pics. That car sure appears to have an opening. This is bizarre, the diff between cars.

That car has the louvers that you've mentioned -which I have seen many times before, but that is that reverse facing, tin looking scoop? I haven't seen one of those before.

That rubber seal looks totally home made (but so do lots of parts on a C4 )
Same 'scoop' on my 95 over the air filter cover louvers (if that is the piece you are referring to). Maybe it's to keep water from being pulled into the CAI

Old 07-23-2016, 12:01 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Sure thing. I can't tell in your pic, but does your car have the air gap at the bottom of the radiator shroud? Since all the parts are black, it's hard to see where there is an opening, and where there isn't.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:04 AM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Sure thing. I can't tell in your pic, but does your car have the air gap at the bottom of the radiator shroud? Since all the parts are black, it's hard to see where there is an opening, and where there isn't.
Yup, she's got a big ol' gap
Old 07-23-2016, 12:50 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Weird. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:36 PM
giljay
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its giljay, that started all this conversation a couple weeks ago. Ive been away from the Corvette for awhile (golf and fishing intervened). In the meanwhile I ordered a Whistler Inspection Camera ($65) that has a lighted camera on the end of a flex shaft. I snaked it up between the condenser and radiator from the bottom and found that cavity to be pretty clean ( at least compared to the one posted earlier). So I'm going to call it quits on this exercise.

I really like the screened access through the license plate hole on the blue car posted a few days ago. Does that port empty under the hood or is it ported somewhere?

Does anyone know where the sensor for the outside air temperature readout is located?

Thanks to all form the interesting discussions-
Old 07-26-2016, 01:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by giljay
Does that port empty under the hood or is it ported somewhere?
I believe that you have to cut through the bumper material (like Styrofoam) to get air flow through it.

Originally Posted by giljay
Does anyone know where the sensor for the outside air temperature readout is located?
Good info on the outside temp sensor, located, HERE.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I replaced the lower ball joints on my car yesterday. Man, I love looking at that suspension!
Name:  2016-07-25_14-02-20_886.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  1.71 MB

Since the car was up in the air, I was curious and took a couple pictures of the my radiator shroud from the bottom, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything when viewing it from the top. I wasn't. Here is what I saw. My grubby finger is pointing at the "seam" where the front/bottom of the shroud meets the "back of bumper" (?)

Name:  2016-07-25_19-01-36_373.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  1.85 MB

Name:  2016-07-25_19-02-07_282.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  2.01 MB

Name:  2016-07-25_18-58-43_818.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  1.89 MB

I don't know why the diff from car to car, but there is no
"air gap" in my car.

Also, no seal above the intake snorkel on the hood, nor does it look like there was ever one on there...

Name:  2016-07-25_19-02-45_844.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  1.63 MB

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-26-2016 at 01:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom400CFI:
91 black convert (07-26-2016), bow tie guy (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:08 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
Default The Dog and pony show + Back peddleling with pot stiring

Originally Posted by 91 black convert
It appears to me, (not a fact), that the C4 engineers found it to be more important for the ambient air to get to the a/c condenser and the radiator than it was to get it to the engine intake. Therefore they built the shroud around them to get the ambient air directly to them, and not to the air filter.

Best I could tell(viewing on a 24" monitor not a smart phone) Tom already posted a pic of His own car that shows the same bumper impression that serves no other purpose than to allow fresh air into the filter page 2 reply# 22

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592398320

Yes this is exactly how my 91 looks.

The air filter is in front of the radiator and a/c condenser, and the louvers are facing forward. So it is not getting air that has been heated by first going through the radiator. Does that qualify as a "cold air intake"?

the classic back peddle
I don't believe that I ever stated that the air goes "Condenser -> Radiator -> air filter -as BTG made it seem like I did.
The Air filter doesn't have access to that air, until it has gone through the radiator and has been heated.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592398600

The air it's heated
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592317238

Tom explains "ambient air" the Dog and pony effect
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591170387

Last edited by bow tie guy; 07-29-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:06 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

More usless rubbish^. Where is the back peddling? I haven't changed my position at all. Late C4's don't have a cold air intake. I ran my scan tool a couple days ago, on my car. I had IAT reading in the 130's on an 85ish degree day. That's not cold air. Here is Tom explaining "Ambient air": The air that is outside the vehicle. My truck...that has a real CAI. It draws air from outside the engine compartment, using a molded plastic tubing separating that "cold"/outside-the-vehicle air, from under hood air...from it's mouth to the throttle body. Only heating of air in that intake would be from the tubing being heated by underhood air -then transfering some of that heat into the air flowing through it. With the truck's system, there is no possible way to mix air in the intake tract, with air from under the hood. A pipe prevents it, from the grille to the TB.

Where in my pics is the path for cold air, that your pics showed? It's not there. My pics -especially the most recent show very clearly, that the bottom of the shroud is basically sealed to the back of bumper. That is different than the pics you posted. You claim the part numbers are the same for the front end parts, '91 -'96. What I've found agrees with that claim. So why do my pics and your pics look different? Why do '91 blac convert's observations agree w/mine? Why do some cars have a rubber flap to keep engine heat out, and others don't? Why do some cars have a reverse facing scoop on the air cleaner that would appear to sheild access to "cold air"?

What is obvious is that the cars differ, for some reason. What is the reason? IDK.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-29-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:46 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

absolutely Tom, complete rubbish

only the pic you posted in reply #22 on page 2
depicts the same opening as in my photo and Rons photo, and my nieghbors photo

is that not your Car Tom

I think your skills are being highly underutilized Have you considered a career in politics ?

funny You mention Bull$hit, Best I can tell you are a true master of the medium

Last edited by bow tie guy; 07-29-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
absolutely Tom, complete rubbish
Finally, you agree.

only the pic you posted in reply #22 on page 2
depicts the same opening as in my photo and Rons photo, and my neighbors photo is that not your Car Tom
That is my car. The photo very clearly shows NO opening. That was the point of the photo. If you use your eyeballs and look at the photos of my car, you or anyone can see that there is no opening. I even back lit the underside in one of my posted photos...and you can see no light. So how can there be an opening? Maybe it's an opening that light doesn't pass through?

Additionally look at the photos that I posted from the bottom, looking up at the bottom of the shroud, in post #90. Where is the opening??

Have you considered a career in politics ? funny You mention Bull$hit, Best I can tell you are a true master of the medium
Another good/helpful contribution to the thread! Where did I say anything about Bullsht in my above post? I don't think that I did. You talk about politics...I was thinking the same about you; I post pics that very clearly show no opening...then you state that there is one there. I post a variety of IAT readings, using a variety of methods to measure...you discredit them. Sounds just like one of our candidates.

At this point, I quite comfortable saying that my car doesn't have any kind of "cold air intake" that I've ever seen. The system terminates under the hood, has no deliberate plumbing to the outside, and the front of the car has no deliberate ducting to feed the filter...and finally, my IAT's are well above ambient (out side the car) temps. To me, that makes it not a CAI. Other cars appear to differ, and yet other cars appear to be the same as mine. My curiosity at this point is: Why the diff, car to car and what do other people's cars have?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-01-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

My '92 LT1 coupe looks exactly like your's does Tom, just no where near as clean.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

opening that all c4s after 90 have
All huh? My stock '92 sure doesn't have it.

Actually BTG, since Tom has in fact checked temps under his hood, and gone out and done a visual inspection of both the top and bottom of the front of his Vette(which happens to match what my stock '92 looks like) and posted pictures from that inspection, I'm more inclined to believe what Tom is saying than you. I'd also bet most the other readers of this thread would also. Tom's '92 and my '92 Vette do not have any passage adequate enough to get enough (or any for that matter) cold air to the filter. Earlier models may have, later model may have, but the '92 does not.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:47 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Tom has 41 replies to this Dog and pony show

which He has no HORSE in

I made my point with 12, using His photos more than once,
So Believe what you want

perhaps you should take Toms advice and put on some glasses
or view the pics on something other than a smart phone

How about giving me some financial advice?

Last edited by bow tie guy; 08-01-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Tom has 41 replies to this Dog and pony show

which He has no HORSE in

I made my point with 12, using His photos more than once,
So Believe what you want

perhaps you should take Toms advice and put on some glasses
or view the pics on something other than a smart phone

How about giving me some financial advice?
What does Tom post count in this thread, or any other thread for that matter, have to do with cold air getting to the air filter intakes?

BTW, I have a 30" 2560*1600 resolution monitor, and my eye sight is 20/20. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I have a better image of the pictures posted in this thread than probably anyone else here, unless someone here has purchased one of the new 4k resolution monitors.

Personally, you need to actually tell me exactly where to go look on my car to see this air intake that channels air to my air filter intakes. Because, like Tom has, I have also gone out to my car and looked. Guess what? They are not present on my stock '92 Corvette.

You're the one hear saying "this is how it is" without actually providing any actual first hand evidence, unlike Tom has. So yeah, I will believe who I want, and it's going to be the one that has actually tested and provided actual pictures of his car backing up what he is saying. Not the one saying believe me because I say to.

Oh and financial advise? Sure. Find a few companies that have a predictable up and down trend of their stock prices. Buy thier stock when the prices low, sell with the prices high. Smithfield Foods is a good company to do this with. Their stock prices usually have a upward trend during summer and during the holidays, while their stock prices typically drops during the later winter to early spring months and during the early fall.

Last edited by 1stVetteFinally; 08-01-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

with the post count comment and everything else. Thanks for posting! I'm amazed BTG went and took the time to count something so irrelevant. He could have used that time to go measure his IAT's and post to add something real and useful to the data pool.

BTG, reposting the same pics over and over again isn't working. It ain't working. In your post above, pic #1, that is my car. There is no opening to outside air in that pic.

Pic #2, of some other corvette, there appears to an opening. Appears. Hard to really tell what is going on in that pic but I can't say since I'm not there. I CAN say that my car has no opening, and anyone with working eye ***** can see that in post #90, when viewed from the bottom. In addition, I posted way back near the beginning of this thread, a pic of my car from the top down, back lit w/a 500 watt shop spot light. No light is coming through. You can see for yourself; post #22. Here, I'll save you the time;

And For S&G's, here is a pic, w/a bright spot light under the front of my car, shining up to highlight any "cold air" openings....

I'm not seeing much light coming through there....so I don't think a lot of "cold air" could make it in there either. Just an opinion though.
There is no opening there.

And who said anything about looking at this stuff on a cell phone? Not me....

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-01-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 airflow

Old 08-01-2016, 03:33 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

I know Tom, you've looked there a million times and there's no opening

only there's no model year '92 specific bumper re-enforcement 91-96 is the same part number

and that hydroformed opening wasn't put there dead nuts center in front of the air filter for no good reason

The following users liked this post:
jsmn4vu (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

and that hydroformed opening wasn't put there dead nuts center in front of the air filter for no good reason
Right....but that is an "opening" to nothing. That doesn't go anywhere. Not to "outside air", not outside...no where. I appreciate that you did something to help our communication. You spent time/effort to take those photos; insulting though they were. Thank you for making the effort, but that space doesn't vent in cold air. Not in mine, anyway.

Now, could you do what you did in the above pic, using my pics from post #90? Leave the insults out this time, please. Just the arrows.

EDIT: It's ironic that your notes/arrows poking fun, are placed on the rearward/upward facing tin scoop that would do the complete opposite of what you claim is happening.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bow tie guy (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:27 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

with the post count comment and everything else.
even the financial advise

Quick Reply: c4 airflow