Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Appropriate book hours for U-joint/half shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,997 Likes on 4,813 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

With a lift I would only need one of those jobs a week to live
Old 07-22-2016, 04:42 PM
drsfmd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevova
Not many techs not going to want or even try to change u-joint while driveshafts or half shafts are on the car. That is just asking for trouble. Since the half shafts are bolted in I would replace both on the effect shaft. If I was selling the job at / for a shop all 4( CYA ) I not going have the discussion how I should have known the other ones would fail within a year.

What I posted was a break down of Tom400CFI labor time 4.4 for all 4. At 900 for one not making any sense other than repair shop didn't want to work on your car.
I don't disagree... if you have to pull the half shaft for one u-joint, you might as well replace the other-- the u-joints are cheap. That said, with school tuitions for 2 kids due in a couple of weeks, I can't swing getting both sides done right now, and I'm not spending $900 to get one side done even if they do both joints.

I've got a couple more places to call next week, then I'm going to throw in the towel and park the car until my knee is healed up enough to do it myself.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:19 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

$900 for one U-joint is CRAZY expensive

Its frustrating to see shops trying to rip covette owners off. If I lived nearby I would just comeby and do the job to help you out, but I live in Canada unfortunately.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 07-22-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:37 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 555 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by drsfmd
A couple weeks back I asked about changing out a u-joint on my 87, and was given some excellent advice, and I thought I had a handle on what I needed to do.

Unfortunately, right after that thread, I re-injured the knee I had surgery on earlier this year... so there will be no crawling around under the car for me for a while.

I took the car to a local independent shop (the dealership where the car was sold new told me "we don't work in old cars"). I was told that not only was the U-joint bad, but that I needed a new half-shaft as well (how often do these go bad?). They told me that it was going to 4.5 hours of labor, and between parts and labor gave me a quote just below $900, which I think is positively outrageous. Given that guys here say they can change them out in 30 minutes, I'm wondering if this is the "we don't want to do this job" price.

Anyone know what actual book hours is for this repair?
I'd be shocked if DeNooyer wouldn't do it
Old 07-24-2016, 07:17 PM
drsfmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I'd be shocked if DeNooyer wouldn't do it
DeNooyer is one of the places that told me "We don't work on old cars" in a snide tone as soon as told them it was an 87.

In other news, I bought a used half shaft on Ebay. It'll be here in a couple of days. Someone mentioned that the part numbers on Rock Auto for the U-joints aren't correct (more accurately, that the inner and outer are different part numbers-- Rockauto shows them as the same). Can anyone point me to correct Spicer, GM, or other quality brand part numbers?

I'm a reasonably competent wrench, and I can handle the rebuild of the half shaft myself. Hopefully I can find a local mechanic to put it in.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,997 Likes on 4,813 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Since when is there diffreant inner and outer U-joints on the half shafts. When I did mine I put all four the same in my half shafs and paid no attention to how they came out. Been working fine for the last three years.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

DeNooyer is one of the places that told me "We don't work on old cars" in a snide tone as soon as told them it was an 87.

In other news, I bought a used half shaft on Ebay. It'll be here in a couple of days. Someone mentioned that the part numbers on Rock Auto for the U-joints aren't correct (more accurately, that the inner and outer are different part numbers-- Rockauto shows them as the same). Can anyone point me to correct Spicer, GM, or other quality brand part numbers?

I'm a reasonably competent wrench, and I can handle the rebuild of the half shaft myself. Hopefully I can find a local mechanic to put it in.
they are the same
Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

So what was the issue with the original shaft?

RH
Old 07-25-2016, 08:36 AM
drsfmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Since when is there diffreant inner and outer U-joints on the half shafts. When I did mine I put all four the same in my half shafs and paid no attention to how they came out. Been working fine for the last three years.
I didn't say they were... someone else did, and I was trying to make sure that I got it right the first time.

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
they are the same
Thanks!

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
So what was the issue with the original shaft?

RH
There may not be an issue at all, but the replacement I found was cheap medicine. With my current knee situation, I can't get on the ground to change it, but the shop that looked at it was insistent I needed to replace the half shaft. I figure I'll get that and the U-Joints and take care of the work that I can get done on the bench before I bring it to a shop for installation.
The following users liked this post:
shootnstarz (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:46 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

As someone stated above the U-joints each side of the halfshaft are the same.

All you need really for this job is basically just a bench vise OR hydraulic press so you can get the u-joints in/out of the ends on the half shaft. Should be pretty simple.

I think your deciding to just bring them a half-shaft with u-joints installed is a smart choice given your situation and that you got the half-shaft for cheap. Best of luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM
drsfmd
Instructor

I just happened to click on this post, and I thought it would be appropriate to bring it to closure (even if it is 8 months later!).

The mechanic that DT86 recommended to me in PM was absolutely wonderful to deal with. He installed only the necessary side, and charged me a very reasonable price for the service (which took about 45 minutes).
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I just happened to click on this post, and I thought it would be appropriate to bring it to closure (even if it is 8 months later!).

The mechanic that DT86 recommended to me in PM was absolutely wonderful to deal with. He installed only the necessary side, and charged me a very reasonable price for the service (which took about 45 minutes).
is it a secret?

Quick Reply: Appropriate book hours for U-joint/half shaft?