Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to remove the OptiSpark on your C4 Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:37 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Yea
Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
At last.
THAT view and looking over the closed hood from the drivers seat, and seeing the road rush beneath you is always WAY better!
Old 09-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Old 09-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

First real excursion today and all is well with Lucy. Temp hovered around 195-200 and no leaks.

I drove past an AutoZone and didn't even slow down.

So as part of my re-bonding therapy, I did some of the stuff that I actually enjoy doing with my vette. Driving and cleaning.

What a beautiful car.

All the best!
Attached Images    
Old 12-20-2016, 12:44 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default trouble shooting the opti

have read this article with great interest, since i have same symptoms of a bad opti, replaced last year with ac delco on 96, my vent hose was not right , have read all the symptoms of a defective opti, how can you trouble shoot the opti electronically to make sure that it is the opti , will a live scan or oscilloscope be the way to go while it is being driven , i have a rough idle, and dies out at around48k..
Old 12-20-2016, 02:08 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
have read this article with great interest, since i have same symptoms of a bad opti, replaced last year with ac delco on 96, my vent hose was not right , have read all the symptoms of a defective opti, how can you trouble shoot the opti electronically to make sure that it is the opti , will a live scan or oscilloscope be the way to go while it is being driven , i have a rough idle, and dies out at around48k..
If it bogs and farts not dyeing then takes off good might just need new front o2s.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

You can use a "noid" light to test. Intermittent problems are more difficult.

On our '95, it was dying after accelerating from a stop. Restarts became less and less assured.

After seeing the oil bath, I know why.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:10 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default opti trouble shooting

Originally Posted by Renfield
You can use a "noid" light to test. Intermittent problems are more difficult.

On our '95, it was dying after accelerating from a stop. Restarts became less and less assured.

After seeing the oil bath, I know why.

It does not have a problem leaving, infact , half throttle will light them up, dont do that to often, tires are expensive, when it hits 48k, it bogs like it does not have enough gas, put a fuel pressure gauge and watch FP, stay at 40 lbs so i know its not that, fuel filter also replaced recently. which of course would effect fp. injectors removed, cleaned and tested, they are also bosch 3 from fic. also new wires and plugs, and coi, icm, so all that is left is the opti,, i just want to have hard data to look at to verify, before i tare into the front end. other than a rough idle and the high end fall off, it runs very good, in town and on the freeway, if you drove it you would say it runs fine , it is a great road car, also i forgot to say it has 3.07 gears only gets around 19 to 20 mpg on the freeway, and much worse around town...that said i am very easy on the gas 90 percent of the time.

Last edited by bob arrowsmith; 12-20-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
It does not have a problem leaving, infact , half throttle will light them up, dont do that to often, tires are expensive, when it hits 48k, it bogs like it does not have enough gas, put a fuel pressure gauge and watch FP, stay at 40 lbs so i know its not that, fuel filter also replaced recently. which of course would effect fp. injectors removed, cleaned and tested, they are also bosch 3 from fic. also new wires and plugs, and coi, icm, so all that is left is the opti,, i just want to have hard data to look at to verify, before i tare into the front end. other than a rough idle and the high end fall off, it runs very good, in town and on the freeway, if you drove it you would say it runs fine , it is a great road car, also i forgot to say it has 3.07 gears only gets around 19 to 20 mpg on the freeway, and much worse around town...that said i am very easy on the gas 90 percent of the time.
An oscilloscope on the low and high res signals will show if either is cutting out or noisy. Someone posted traces of what the 2 signals should look like. I ordered a cheap oscilloscope kit to check mine for future reference.

YouTube video

Last edited by JimLentz; 12-21-2016 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added link

Quick Reply: How to remove the OptiSpark on your C4 Corvette!