Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to remove the OptiSpark on your C4 Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Let me just say, I am not a mechanic. My dad was a great diagnostician AND mechanic, so he inspired me to take on automotive challenges. Like timing belts, top end gaskets, brake rebuilds, etc. And with his help, I have been pretty lucky with that work.

This is without a doubt the most difficult job I have ever encountered on a car in my 58 years on this planet. My harmonic balancer is permanently fused to my crankshaft. And not in a good way. grandspt, you have my deepest sympathy regarding your steering rack.

My level of frustration is very close to slap on the water pump, put a sign in the window and forget about ever owning a GM product again. Should've learned that lesson with the Vega.

Twenty minutes after my arm fell off, I was poised to win. That was two days ago, and an entire jumbo can of PB Blaster with cranks in between.

I even tried fashioning a tool out of rebar to pry it off from the front. No joy.

If I find out this was a $500 job, I will be really bent. Not at all worth the effort.

But that video sure had me going.

BTW, I will now officially SECOND the need for a lift. If only to get better aim with the 12 gauge.

Last edited by Renfield; 08-29-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:27 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

I know dumb question, but did you get all three bolts out? I mean you never know
Old 08-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by chstitans42
I know dumb question, but did you get all three bolts out? I mean you never know
All 3 are out.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 AM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Patience grasshopper. Just keep hitting it. It will move, eventually.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:35 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Let me just say, I am not a mechanic. My dad was a great diagnostician AND mechanic, so he inspired me to take on automotive challenges. Like timing belts, top end gaskets, brake rebuilds, etc. And with his help, I have been pretty lucky with that work.

This is without a doubt the most difficult job I have ever encountered on a car in my 58 years on this planet. My harmonic balancer is permanently fused to my crankshaft. And not in a good way. grandspt, you have my deepest sympathy regarding your steering rack.

My level of frustration is very close to slap on the water pump, put a sign in the window and forget about ever owning a GM product again. Should've learned that lesson with the Vega.

Twenty minutes after my arm fell off, I was poised to win. That was two days ago, and an entire jumbo can of PB Blaster with cranks in between.

I even tried fashioning a tool out of rebar to pry it off from the front. No joy.

If I find out this was a $500 job, I will be really bent. Not at all worth the effort.

But that video sure had me going.

BTW, I will now officially SECOND the need for a lift. If only to get better aim with the 12 gauge.

Renfield, I know what you are going through, when I was pulling out the steering rack I said to myself maybe I should buy a Porsche and ditch GM. But I think all cars have issues. I know you will have to beat on that damn thing for a while, I cringed every time i smacked on it thinking am I damaging the crankshaft thrust bearing.
As for a lift I do have the QuickJack lift. It lifts the car enough to crawl under with a low profile creeper, it definitely makes life easier.
I worked on it by myself and had to crawl from underneath the car several times to start the car and turn the crankshaft balancer pulley.
It would have been nice to have a second person to crank the car over while I smacked the crank in different spots.
If I knew I was pulling my rack out I could have had that balancer out (with a puller ) in minutes instead of days.
Good thing this is not my every day car.

Last edited by grandspt; 08-30-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by grandspt
Renfield, I know what you are going through, when I was pulling out the steering rack I said to myself maybe I should buy a Porsche and ditch GM. But I think all cars have issues. I know you will have to beat on that damn thing for a while, I cringed every time i smacked on it thinking am I damaging the crankshaft thrust bearing.
As for a lift I do have the QuickJack lift. It lifts the car enough to crawl under with a low profile creeper, it definitely makes life easier.
I worked on it by myself and had to crawl from underneath the car several times to start the car and turn the crankshaft balancer pulley.
It would have been nice to have a second person to crank the car over while I smacked the crank in different spots.
If I knew I was pulling my rack out I could have had that balancer out (with a puller ) in minutes instead of days.
Good thing this is not my every day car.
Yea, that is a shame about the order of failure on yours. I would love to get a puller on this thing. Are leaking ps racks common too?

Well I do thank you all for the encoragement. I have changed tools and continued my attack on all those crank bearings. It seems like I am getting a better power transfer with the new 3 pound hammer and a breaker bar. Still, no joy.

I've sketched a tool to address this issue in a more humane way. Hmmm.

Although I have backup, this is my daily driver. So the absence is as painful as the constant pounding. Good thing my '94 Miata, with 220k, wasn't worth anything.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Music on radio was appropriate. Dirty Deeds, done dirt cheap.

Went three rounds with my Vette this morning, cranking in-between. The "Goldilocks" hammer is my new 3 pound helper.

You can see the generations of tools I've tried. 1/2" breaker bar and 3lb hammer feel best so far.

Also, my multi-daily claustrophobic view.

LOL. I don't know why they loaded sideways, but that truly is my view.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Renfield; 08-31-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Use an air hammer and the corrisponding 24 inch punch. You will have it off in 60 seconds or less.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:05 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

make sure you are hitting on the outside edge of the balancer
Old 08-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
make sure you are hitting on the outside edge of the balancer
No. Make sure you are hitting the inside of the damper. If you're hitting the outside;
1. You could displace the outer ring
2. the elastomer will absorb the very shock/impacts that are needed to knock the damper off the hub.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
No. Make sure you are hitting the inside of the damper. If you're hitting the outside;
1. You could displace the outer ring
2. the elastomer will absorb the very shock/impacts that are needed to knock the damper off the hub.

Agreed.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Target modification understood. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:50 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Stupid question here, but you are taking care to place your drift against the damper, and not the wings of the hub? These things can be a bit stubborn the first time, if they're heavily rusted, but I've never heard of anybody having as much trouble as you are reporting.

Live well,

SJW
Old 09-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by SJW
Stupid question here, but you are taking care to place your drift against the damper, and not the wings of the hub? These things can be a bit stubborn the first time, if they're heavily rusted, but I've never heard of anybody having as much trouble as you are reporting.

Live well,

SJW
I do tend to get those one-offs. It's as if someone took it off and replaced it with a healthy slathering of red locktite.

I can see marks in the HB where it's hitting, so other than an occasional miss, I am hitting the balancer.

I'll give it another beating tonight. Then I'm shopping air hammers.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Renfield
Drifting

IT IS OFF.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:19 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

IT IS OFF.
The damper, or your arm?

Congrats. Now clean all of the rust off of the mating surfaces of both the hub and the damper, and apply some anti-sieze so that it'll pop off easily the next time you need to remove it. Good luck with the remainder of the job. Should be a walk in the park from this point forward.

Live well,

SJW
Old 09-02-2016, 07:19 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

IT IS OFF.
Nice ...I thought for sure you would give up and trade the car for a worn out Miata...

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove the OptiSpark on your C4 Corvette!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
Nice ...I thought for sure you would give up and trade the car for a worn out Miata...
LOL. IDK which is more worn out, but very glad I kept it around. And very anxious to get back in the 'vette.

I'll pick up that socket on the drive home tonight. And a big tube of anti-seize.

Can't wait to see the infamous Opti up close. If I remember correctly, I have to get the Opti out before I can remove the pulley. I'll soon find out if I'm ordering the Petris or just the cap and rotor.

Thanks to all for the encouragement!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I'll soon find out if I'm ordering the Petris or just the cap and rotor.

After all the hassle, I would not consider replacing just the cap and rotor. I would replace it as an assembly.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
After all the hassle, I would not consider replacing just the cap and rotor. I would replace it as an assembly.
Really? From what I read all the new ones are a crap shoot. Mine is a '96, with 95K miles.

Quick Reply: How to remove the OptiSpark on your C4 Corvette!