Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

bread box - nice - it's about that size isn't it
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sb66
I will check the rpo's - nice interior - I am not feeling that my 5k - ish entry budget is going to put me in a whole lot of vette - I guess my expectations are not that great. I know for the most part I will have work to do on whatever I find. I had hoped to offer less and be able to use a little of that for the weather stripping for now - save for the others and upgrade as I go. maybe not the best plan - but hopefully do-able. especially if the work is maintaining and cosmetics. I figure I can enjoy and drive - while cleaning it up?
The C4 is a terrific Corvette to get in the door with. Great handling, common parts and plenty of upgrades. Its pretty easy to go as you improve with it.

Overall it looks good IMHO. Not perfect but good. The mileage is good and yeah it sounds as if it was time to trade it in from the original owner and then it's been probably wholesaled between a few dealers. Means that it did not sell for them so they took it to auction. At this point I'm willing to bet that they probably have between $3,500-4K in it plus any ppwk and UCI fees. They will probably try to get you at $5K. Are you paying cash? If so that can actually hurt you. If you finance thru them they will get a % of the rate so they will make money on the back end of the deal even if they break even or lose on the initial agreed upon purchase price. Something to keep in mind.

Later,

Lee
The following users liked this post:
sb66 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

IDK, the 86 looks a little worn but not total trash. Would be nice to see the engine bay tho. Some of us have to start with our 'jewel' being a little rough and needing some polishing.

The interior of my 86 looked like a dog, a really big dog, had been using it for his dog house. Here is a bad pic of the interior after some cleaning. Still sucked.

But with some new carpet, a little upholstery work and this is what it looks like.

I have more in this car than its worth and it still needs paint (it's a 4 footer) but looks good at 80mph, lol. But the upside is I don't owe on it, didn't have to finance it and was able to enjoy it while working on it. Everyone's priorities are different. Mine was to end up with a pretty nice car without going in debt and I was able to spread my expenditures out over time (a couple years).

Not all of us can afford or find Granny that wants to sell Grampy's practically unused Corvette for a reasonable price. Those type of deals are out there and do show up here with some regularity but man I can't find them.

Edit: Holy Crap these pics are huge. This is my first attempt. How do I re-size?
sb66 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:00 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Weck86
IDK, the 86 looks a little worn but not total trash. Would be nice to see the engine bay tho. Some of us have to start with our 'jewel' being a little rough and needing some polishing.

The interior of my 86 looked like a dog, a really big dog, had been using it for his dog house. Here is a bad pic of the interior after some cleaning. Still sucked.

But with some new carpet, a little upholstery work and this is what it looks like.

I have more in this car than its worth and it still needs paint (it's a 4 footer) but looks good at 80mph, lol. But the upside is I don't owe on it, didn't have to finance it and was able to enjoy it while working on it. Everyone's priorities are different. Mine was to end up with a pretty nice car without going in debt and I was able to spread my expenditures out over time (a couple years).

Not all of us can afford or find Granny that wants to sell Grampy's practically unused Corvette for a reasonable price. Those type of deals are out there and do show up here with some regularity but man I can't find them.

Edit: Holy Crap these pics are huge. This is my first attempt. How do I re-size?
that is quite an improvement!! - that sounds a lot like what I am hoping to do. I have realistic expectations - I hope - so that I can enjoy along the way. I have seen some absolutely amazing looking vettes on this site and some exceptional stories
Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

KYC4 - I am paying cash - this is a small shop and they are moving to a bigger facility - I am hoping that will help - but I understand what you are saying - something to keep in mind with negotiations.

thanks
Sean
Old 07-22-2016, 04:43 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

What did you use on the seats to bring them back to life?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Weck86
Racer

Originally Posted by divotdug
What did you use on the seats to bring them back to life?
Short story: I use a product called Lexol, with neatsfoot, non-darkening. It's a leather dressing and is available on Amazon. They, Lexol, also make a leather cleaner, however I am somewhat old school and use Saddle Soap with a cotton wash cloth or towel. I use the towel instead of microfiber to get the 'scrubbing action' of the typical towel. Works for me.

Slightly longer (TMI) story: In the case of this car the seats were pretty much trashed, torn leather in spots with exposed and worn foam (remember the big dog analogy). Anyway I was able to purchase a used original set of seat backs and cushions from a forum member who had re-done his interior. They were a little time worn and I had to replace the leather on the driver side seat bolster. The Lexol really brought this set back to life.

So if your seats are in basically good shape and are just showing their age the Lexol product should work well for you. Like I said some of our car jewels just need a little polishing.
sb66 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Short story: I use a product called Lexol, with neatsfoot, non-darkening. It's a leather dressing and is available on Amazon. They, Lexol, also make a leather cleaner, however I am somewhat old school and use Saddle Soap with a cotton wash cloth or towel. I use the towel instead of microfiber to get the 'scrubbing action' of the typical towel. Works for me.

Slightly longer (TMI) story: In the case of this car the seats were pretty much trashed, torn leather in spots with exposed and worn foam (remember the big dog analogy). Anyway I was able to purchase a used original set of seat backs and cushions from a forum member who had re-done his interior. They were a little time worn and I had to replace the leather on the driver side seat bolster. The Lexol really brought this set back to life.

So if your seats are in basically good shape and are just showing their age the Lexol product should work well for you. Like I said some of our car jewels just need a little polishing.
Thanks! The seats in my '84 are in great shape. Car only has 35k miles so they don't show a lot of wear. They do however need a good cleaning and conditioning.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:14 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

RPO?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:30 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Looks like a base coupe (no Z51 or Z52).

Look here to find out the rest of your RPOs. Ar you can closer to buying the '85?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...4-rpo-faq.html

Later,

Lee
sb66 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:49 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

thanks Lee

Yes - $4500 - and it now resides in my garage - what a fun ride home!

Sean
Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sb66
thanks Lee

Yes - $4500 - and it now resides in my garage - what a fun ride home!

Sean
Awesome! Very glad to hear it! Posy up a few pics under the hood and stuff when you get the chance.

Happy for you,

Lee
Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Weck86
Racer

$4500? I think you did alright. Enjoy your new ride. I suspect you will like it more and more with each time behind the wheel. These cars have a feel all their own and it grows on you. Looking forward to any pics myself.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Good buy. Hopefully it treats you well.
sb66 (07-26-2016)

Quick Reply: considering a 1985 4+3 opinions