C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 Corvette doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 AM
corymiller1010@gmail.com
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Corvette doesn't start

I just got to the point where I can turn the key and I thought it should run, it turns over and sparks fires a few times but then floods. I can see gas pouring into it and it just seems like it's too much and I can't figure out why it would be dumping that much gas. (I have the air filter off

About the car
Crossfire fuel injection
Headers (with o2 sensor installed)
New battery
New spark plugs

And what I think it has most to do is the previous owner cut the wires because he was going to do an engine swap( I know worst way he could possibly do that they unplug) I soldered then back together but am uncertain if that's causing the problem or not. Any information on how I could narrow down the right wires would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

It's a long time since I've had an 84 and my memory ain't what it use to be, but assuming you put like color together, you may have one or more injectors stuck open. It happened to me once. I changed the injector and it started and ran like new, but I forgot to change the oil with fuel in it and wiped out some lifters.
I think you can unplug the injectors turn the switch to run and see if they spray fuel. If they do the injector is stuck. I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I,m wrong.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by corymiller1010@gmail.com
I just got to the point where I can turn the key and I thought it should run, it turns over and sparks fires a few times but then floods. I can see gas pouring into it and it just seems like it's too much and I can't figure out why it would be dumping that much gas. (I have the air filter off

About the car
Crossfire fuel injection
Headers (with o2 sensor installed)
New battery
New spark plugs

And what I think it has most to do is the previous owner cut the wires because he was going to do an engine swap( I know worst way he could possibly do that they unplug) I soldered then back together but am uncertain if that's causing the problem or not. Any information on how I could narrow down the right wires would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
When you turn the key to ON, not in START, does the injectors fire once with a cone spray and then are OFF until you start cranking the engine? If they keep spraying or are dribbling fuel there is an issue. If it's dribbling fuel more than likely you have a bad o-ring(s) in the injector pod. It will be the bottom small o-ring, replace o-ring, lube before installing it and it should be ok. Esure you install the top metal o-ring correctly as well. It could also be an ECM issue with the injector drivers, but normally when they go bad, the injectors stop working. Do you have a check engine light? (CEL) If so, what are the codes? The injector(s) also could be bad. Hopefully this helps a bit. Post back up with more info. Good luck
Old 07-24-2016, 05:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Bad coolant sensor or bad cold start injector. Or leaking fpr or other injector. Pull the vacume line off the fpr and look for fuel.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 07-24-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Bad coolant sensor or bad cold start injector. Or leaking fpr or other injector. Pull the vacume line off the fpr and look for fuel.
Is bad advice helpful? '84 CFI does not have a "cold start" injector. Leaking fpr will not cause engine to flood. There is no vacuum line to the fpr in the '84.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Yeah, 84s had a funny cts that looks like a knock sensor. Replace with a newer style sensor & connector.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:11 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

You really need to buy a Factory Service Manual (FSM). NOT the universal C4 ones from Wally World or the auto parts store. You can find either paper or CD copies on eBay.
These will pay for themselves after one repair. The diagnostic flow charts are worth the purchase
Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
You really need to buy a Factory Service Manual (FSM). NOT the universal C4 ones from Wally World or the auto parts store. You can find either paper or CD copies on eBay.
These will pay for themselves after one repair. The diagnostic flow charts are worth the purchase
^^^THIS^^^
Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 PM
corymiller1010@gmail.com
3rd Gear

I had a friend look at it yesterday and he found the throttle was sticking open and was able to keep it idling after that was taken care of. Thanks for all your advice I'll still look over everything you guys mentioned to make sure she's in tip top shape. The only code I got was code 12
Old 07-25-2016, 05:08 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Were you holding the throttle to the floor while trying to start the car?

Just in case you do not know, a code 12 by itself is a good thing. Means all is well.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM
corymiller1010@gmail.com
3rd Gear

Does code 12 but check engine light still on mean anything different?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Is bad advice helpful? '84 CFI does not have a "cold start" injector. Leaking fpr will not cause engine to flood. There is no vacuum line to the fpr in the '84.

^^^THIS^^^

This also true for a 82 as well. Vacuum does not control FP with CFI, it's all mechanical.

Does code 12 but check engine light still on mean anything different?
Not sure I understand what you mean with this statement. Are you saying that you get a CEL after it starts and stays ON? Thanks

Last edited by Buccaneer; 07-25-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Corvette doesn't start

Quick Reply: 1984 Corvette doesn't start