C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help! no power to aux fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 AM
pearlvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! no power to aux fuse box

1991 coupe automatic no mods. I drove to work and everything was fine. When I was going to start it to go home, I did not hear the fuel pump kick on and after it built up enough oil pressure, it started. I noticed I did not have the ac working (not sure if related to the problem). I replaced the fuel pump still no prime when key turned on. I finally took it to a shop and a friend told me that he charged the ac but it burns up the fusible link when the fan is turned on. He tried to trouble shoot and said that there is no power to the 2nd fuse box under the passenger knee bolster. He found that out after switching relays and trying to get the ac on. I have replaced the ac fan relay on the firewall, ac control head unit and the blower fan. Same result. Car will start after oil pressure builds up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by pearlvette; 07-26-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by pearlvette
i drove to work and everything was fine. When i was going to start it to go home, i did not hear the fuel pump kick on and after it built up enough oil pressure, it started. I noticed i did not have the ac working (not sure if related to the problem). I replaced the fuel pump still no prime when key turned on. I finally took it to a shop and a friend told me that he charged the ac but it burns up the fusible link when the fan is turned on. He tried to trouble shoot and said that there is no power to the 2nd fuse box under the passenger knee bolster. He found that out after switching relays and trying to get the ac on. I have replaced the ac fan relay on the firewall, ac control head unit and the blower fan. Same result. Car will start after oil pressure builds up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

missing is the year of this car!!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-26-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 AM
pearlvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
missing is the year of this car!!!!
Sorry. I wasn't thinking. That's how frustrating this has been. 1991 coupe auto no mods.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:12 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

You mentioned AC RELAY "ON FIREWALL" - explain. The AC CLUTCH RELAY is to the LEFT of column "in car" generally just referred to as AC RELAY.

Do you or your friend have the FSM for a '91?

Also a '91 has two AUX fuse boxes I believe so it might be important to know which fuses are in what your friend refers to a 2nd.

Is the FP 1 FUSE in IP box blown? Bottom right I believe.

Have you replaced FUEL PUMP RELAY that's under right side of dash?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-26-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM
pearlvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You mentioned AC RELAY "ON FIREWALL" - explain. The AC CLUTCH RELAY is to the LEFT of column "in car" generally just referred to as AC RELAY.

Do you or your friend have the FSM for a '91?

Also a '91 has two AUX fuse boxes I believe so it might be important to know which fuses are in what your friend refers to a 2nd.

Is the FP 1 FUSE in IP box blown? Bottom right I believe.

Have you replaced FUEL PUMP RELAY that's under right side of dash?
I might have used the wrong term. The AC clutch relay was not replaced, it was the relay for the blower motor.

I thought only a main fuse box and a smaller aux fuse box with three relays(fuel pump) were the only two fuse boxes. Am I looking at this right? The 2nd fuse box is the one on pass side dash. Fuel pump relay was swapped with the other two located beside it. All fuses were checked in the fuse box located at the end of the passenger dash and the 2nd(aux) box under the passenger knee bolster. Those are the only two fuse boxes that I am aware of.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Here's the Fuse Box Images and also the RELAY arrangement from a '91 FSM

Name:  '91 FUSES.png
Views: 6593
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  '91 RELAYS.png
Views: 3740
Size:  71.2 KB
The following users liked this post: