C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

help with oil leak on 1990

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:09 AM
crxnug
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default help with oil leak on 1990

i have a 1990 corvette, im having trouble locating a oil leak, at first i thought it was the valve cover but cant find any wet spot when i feel around, there seems to be oil on the bolt that secures from the exhaust manifold that also secures the dip stick tube ,i thought maybe it was for sure the valve cover and dripping down but i cant locate any oil there, any help would be much appreciated
Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 AM
crxnug
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

could be coming out of dipstick tube?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I suppose it could be blow back from a worn engine coming back thru the tube. MKE SURE THE STICK IS FULLY SEATED, KEEP AN EYE ON THAT. Hard to say with so little info. A big leak? small drop on the driveway every time driven? using, or going thru oil? miles on
n engine, ect. Please excuse any typos, just had a small STROKE AND HARD TO SEE SCREEN/LEFT EYE.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by crxnug
i have a 1990 corvette, im having trouble locating a oil leak, at first i thought it was the valve cover but cant find any wet spot when i feel around, there seems to be oil on the bolt that secures from the exhaust manifold that also secures the dip stick tube ,i thought maybe it was for sure the valve cover and dripping down but i cant locate any oil there, any help would be much appreciated
w/ ghostrider - oil could come out of the tube itself due to blowby, and run down on the mounting bolt(nut), but that should be obvious. you need to get in there and clean all areas around the tube housing and the dipstick itself. while you're at it, check for a stuck PCV valve. chances are it's your VC gaskets.

ghostrider1 - here's for a full and speedy recovery -

Get notified of new replies

To help with oil leak on 1990

Quick Reply: help with oil leak on 1990