Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

87 A/C Orifice Question

Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 87 A/C Orifice Question

Hello, I'm Working on the AC system on my 87 Corvette and had a question! What is the location of the orifice tube on the 87 corvette and does it need to be replaced when I replace the drier and Compressor? also do I have an AC expansion valve to worry about? thanks guys you've always been very helpful!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdeman1
Hello, I'm Working on the AC system on my 87 Corvette and had a question! What is the location of the orifice tube on the 87 corvette and does it need to be replaced when I replace the drier and Compressor? also do I have an AC expansion valve to worry about? thanks guys you've always been very helpful!!!
Orifice is a "drop-in" at the evaporator core. There's a very recent thread. No expansion valve, accumulator (drier your terminology) is a "contains all" type device. Sounds like maybe you need a "for hire" to service the AC properly OR an FSM and some very in depth read/study of the procedure.

The recent thread I believe:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-location.html

If you've a access to a very experienced shop with talented personnel that understand R12 and the system you can't go wrong with a "for hire" - same goes for a 134a conversion, talent, personnel and knowledge.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-03-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:25 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default expansion valve/ orifice

Originally Posted by Kdeman1
Normally these are located on the low pressure line (cold line) just before the evaporator. You will have to break a connection to get to it(not a good idea unless you have to. If it was running good before, then you might want to avoid it. However, if the system got gunked up by a failing compressor then replace it. It should have a filter on it that stops stuff from going past it and this will show how polluted the system is. The orifice is the expansion valve.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 A/C Orifice Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 A/C Orifice Question