C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Door weatherstrip brands that fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Door weatherstrip brands that fit

What are some good brands of door weatherstripping that have good fit and quality control? Though I'd like to keep things all the same brand if later having to replace A/B pillar. Right now they are latex. Don't want to go with latex going forward as it doesn't last even though it seals good.

On the doors, would be looking for the kind that has the metal reinforcement in the ends like how the OEM latex had plastic pieces.

Got the CRC brand and the pins don't match the OEM piece. Had to stretch it in places to get the pins to line up with the holes. But on the front end of one, the end had too much slack. And when screwed down, before the first pin, it sticks up with 1/2" gap. I think the last pin probably in the wrong place is causing it to have too much slack on the end.

The rear end piece too has a little too much slack on the end and has a gap. Which prevents it from being glued down since that gap will close when the door is shut and the weatherstrip will move back and forth as you open/shut door. But it's not too big a deal if you don't plan on gluing that end assuming friction doesn't start tearing the weatherstrip.

Have gotten CRC weatherstrips before that were bad out of the box. Must have bad quality control.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by colter
What are some good brands of door weatherstripping that have good fit and quality control? Though I'd like to keep things all the same brand if later having to replace A/B pillar. Right now they are latex. Don't want to go with latex going forward as it doesn't last even though it seals good.

On the doors, would be looking for the kind that has the metal reinforcement in the ends like how the OEM latex had plastic pieces.

Got the CRC brand and the pins don't match the OEM piece. Had to stretch it in places to get the pins to line up with the holes. But on the front end of one, the end had too much slack. And when screwed down, before the first pin, it sticks up with 1/2" gap. I think the last pin probably in the wrong place is causing it to have too much slack on the end.

The rear end piece too has a little too much slack on the end and has a gap. Which prevents it from being glued down since that gap will close when the door is shut and the weatherstrip will move back and forth as you open/shut door. But it's not too big a deal if you don't plan on gluing that end assuming friction doesn't start tearing the weatherstrip.

Have gotten CRC weatherstrips before that were bad out of the box. Must have bad quality control.
Except with the hatch piece, not many complaints with what Wilcox sells
Old 08-09-2016, 01:32 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Other than hatch, they sell the CRC brand. Nice that the CRC door piece has metal reinforcements molded into the ends though. But they were bad out of the box. The pins are spaced differently than the OEM piece. But I'm thinking the last pin was in the wrong spot causing the end to be too long when snapped in and causing it to bunch up and stick up in the air while the end is bolted down. Or maybe the end past the last pin got stretched during manufacturing. Don't know.

I have read of others getting a different brand door weatherstrip and having to return it because the pins were in the wrong spot.

I think if I removed all of the pins, then it would probably fit fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Door weatherstrip brands that fit

Quick Reply: Door weatherstrip brands that fit